Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just came back from our dealer with our VIN (Havasu EXL-RES #20620 built 8/11).
Our dealer said something interesting. They just got a Silver EXL-RES that he thinks that Honda is saying WILL BE their demo Pilot. Said that no other Hondas have ever had a specified model for a demo. Said that Honda will probably not let them sell it (for a year or so). I have no prior experience with Hondas so I don't know how to judge this. Just thought some of you would find it interesting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
?

Learning something new.

I always thought demo's were dictated by the dealership and drawn from their inventory....I'm probably wrong. There should be a financial incentive passed along to the dealer from the manufacturer on this; I would hope.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My dealer has a green EX that they say Honda designated as their demo and they cannot sell it for 9 months.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Designated Demos

I've heard the same thing from the local dealership here; Motorwerks. They have not yet received their demo, but apparently it is on the way.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just heard the same thing from two different dealerships this past week-end. Honda is providing each dealership a demo. The dealership is to tweak it out (with all the goodies) and they are not allowed to sell it for 9 months.

:29:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Designated Demos

The press release from Honda for July sales indicated that sales of Odyssey and Pilot were depressed due to low dealer inventory. Perhaps Honda is trying to ensure that every dealer has at least one Pilot in stock so that potential customers can at least drive one. Many folks won't wait for a car that they can't even test drive.

The 9mo restriction still allows the dealer to unload the Pilot at the end of the model year.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think it sounds like a very good idea indeed from the Manufacturer to require the dealership to designate one vehicle as a demo. Otherwise the situation with Ody, MDX and the Pilot was really getting out of hand where people 'had' to at least put deposits without ever test driving a vechile they were willing to plunk down 30+ thousand dollars on.

The fact that I put down a deposit (just like many others I know) without even looking at the vehicle or test driving it just shows that some people have too much faith in Honda/Acura.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bakerlar said:
Our Havasu is #20604 - pretty close to yours dontcha think Havasu?
Hey yeah, separated at birth!!! 20620.. so I guess yours was ahead of ours on the assembly line... :2:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Regarding Demos - that must be what Zimbrick in Madison is doing with the black one they have in stock - to drive the Pilot, the CR-V or the Ody, they have a schedule with 20 minute intervals - took about an hour before we got our turn with the Pilot and CR-V. It was a great selling point for them that the vehicles are so popular you have to schedule a test drive. At least had the opportunity before purchasing - It was a must for us, as I'm surprising my wife Mary , but had to have her drive several vehicles to be certain the Pilot is the one. She's getting out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee Lmtd (1993-107,000 miles) that we purchased new. It has really been a trouble free SUV, so no small thing to move to the Honda.

Bake in Wisconsin

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: ?

Spartanman said:
Learning something new.

I always thought demo's were dictated by the dealership and drawn from their inventory....I'm probably wrong. There should be a financial incentive passed along to the dealer from the manufacturer on this; I would hope.
Heard just about the same story from my dealer. But in their case, it appears that they had a choice of what they chose as a demo (Havasu EX-L). Because of the continued delay, they offered it to me. We also explored a trade with another dealer, but they claimed they had designated the Pilot we wanted as their demo. The G.M. explained that dealers can designate as a demo, but I thought he said they couldn't sell if for a period of time - I thought he said 6 months, but it appears from the other posts in the thread that its really 9 months, and they had to accessorize the vehicle.

I'm not sure if there's as much of a financial incentive for not selling the vehicle as their is a financial penalty for selling it early. Although, I guess by not assuming the penalty, that is a financial incentive in itself!

And on the part about decking it out with all the accessories, just check out the pictures of the Havasu EX-L that I posted (the one with the Gold Trim, lower trim and chrome bumper garnish) in the gallery, and I'll think you'll find this to be true!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts