·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's nasty

I don't find it very surprising though. I think, given the opportunity, there are many dealerships out there that would take advantage of people in that way. I mean, the whole nature of the business is one of matching wits between the dealerships and the customers to get the best deal. The dealerships do this day in and day out with friendly, smiling sales reps and slick talking finance managers, whereas the average consumer buys a new car only once every several years.

My daughter wanted an '02 Celica and she asked me to go along with her to make sure she didn't get ripped off. I let her do the talking in the beginning and the rep told her they had a "special sale" going on, and that she picked a great day to come in. It was a finance promotion with an outside company writing up the "best possible deal" without the dealership inflating prices. Well, you know as well as I, that yet another person in the mix with their hand out does NOT mean extra savings. He brought her the "best possible deal". Well, it was obvious at this point that it was time for me to do what I had come there to do. By the time I got finished with this guy, I had sent him back to his calculator three times. Finally, frustrated, he threw up his hands and yelled " I'm not going to sell you Celica at cost!" He left again and never returned. Instead, the general manager came over and gave me a shorter term by six months and $80 less a month than the original "best possible deal".

My experiences at my Honda dealer (two new cars in six months) have been quite different. I simply asked to see the invoice and my rep said "We have to make $200 on this car ('02 Civic)." As for the Pilot, there was no haggling from MSRP. A very pleasurable experience compared to being BS'd for an hour and a half at the Toyota dealer!

·
Registered
991 Posts
thats bad

yeah, these are going to happen from time to time, but I have had really good relationship with my dealer. Had to pay reg price for my pilot, but other wise got really good deals on my civics also... sold my 95 civic Si for $11000.00 and paid $19000.00, so people are willing to pay big bucks for Honda's... if it were a cavalier would have got $5000.00 for it... something to think about when we are buying a new car..

take care
rob:2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my Pilot from this dealership...and while I'm happy with the car, I'm not happy with the dealer.

I never did get the sticker from them showing all the add-ons and markup over sticker they put on the car..and yes, they were adamant about adding a $500 finance fee....for the Honda lease I took. I refused to pay the fee...but now hearing about their abuses....I probably am paying for it somewhere in my lease.

Sometimes your gut feel is right when the finance guys are way too slick.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Jim90068 said:
I got my Pilot from this dealership...and while I'm happy with the car, I'm not happy with the dealer.

I never did get the sticker from them showing all the add-ons and markup over sticker they put on the car..and yes, they were adamant about adding a $500 finance fee....for the Honda lease I took. I refused to pay the fee...but now hearing about their abuses....I probably am paying for it somewhere in my lease.

Sometimes your gut feel is right when the finance guys are way too slick.
If any problems occur go to a different dealer... (if there is another in your area) 90% will treat you right, this one sounds like a bunch of jokers! they will pay for all there greed don't worry.

take care
rob

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just like those "Go See Cal" guys. Are they still around? I remember Seeing the "Cal" dealership commercials when I first moved to Arizona. They didn't last long in this town.

It's good to see when Bad Dealerships get what they deserve:11:

·
Registered
664 Posts
What's sad is that is seven people out of probably thousands. The dealership get a bad name for a while but will probably open with a slogan of 'Under new management'.

I hope Honda steps in to be sure there are new owners and employees from top to bottom. Man some dealerships really irk me, and I'm on the other coast!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

My friend who just bought a 2003 Accord over the weekend informed me that Santa Monica Honda was back open for business. (He didn't buy from them).

They probably got a temporary "go ahead" to open. I'm sure they are watching themselves and are making sure all sales are "by the book."

The salesman I spoke with on Sunday at another dealership used Santa Monica as an example of what they do not do. "Oh, we're not like Santa Monica Honda." HA :)

-pj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts