Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they any good?
I had Thule on the sante fe that we trade in for the 2021 pilot SE.
The genuine Honda cross bars are under $200 whereas a new set of Thule aero bars are over $600.
Looking for feedback. We haul three bicycles once a year when we go on vacation. Otherwise it never gets used and it’s more or less a decoration.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
Well here is my take. The OEM cross bars are designed to do the job as intended within the specifications prescribed by Honda. They are $200 and the Thules are $600+. You use them once a year for three bicycles. The breakdown for me is pretty easy.

Honda bars: $66.67 per bicycle for one week a year.

Thule bars: $200.00+ per bicycle for one week a year.

Both do the same job within the prescribed specifications.

Unless you are exceeding the weight load prescribed by Honda, which you do at your own risk, I can think of a lot of things I could do with an extra $400 while on vacation.

Just my take on the matter.

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Well here is my take. The OEM cross bars are designed to do the job as intended within the specifications prescribed by Honda. They are $200 and the Thules are $600+. You use them once a year for three bicycles. The breakdown for me is pretty easy.

Honda bars: $66.67 per bicycle for one week a year.

Thule bars: $200.00+ per bicycle for one week a year.

Both do the same job within the prescribed specifications.

Unless you are exceeding the weight load prescribed by Honda, which you do at your own risk, I can think of a lot of things I could do with an extra $400 while on vacation.

Just my take on the matter.
Or you can save "a butt ton of money" and make your own.?* smirk
El Cheapo strikes again!
*I do not approve or disprove of this modification. *For your amusement, criticism or serious consideration.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Craigslist. You can usually find used Thule or Yakima components for half of new, then re-sell them for what you paid when you're done. The round ones are a lot cheaper than the cool aero version.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've posted this before:

"I ended up with the honda cross bars and honestly, they are not with the money. With the factory rails, there is no location to tie anything down, so christmas trees or boats or whatever you put up where cannot be fastened securely. I ended up buying some yakima mighty mounts to add some clamped down mounts. If you can find after market cross bars with integrated tie downs, go that route."

I'd say try to find some nicer bars for cheap, maybe used with integrated tie down loops. I think the honda rails and bars are poorly designed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would say it depends on what you want them for. I use the OEM Honda crossbars with a Thule Canyon XT (w/thule extension) roof basket and have had no issues. Depending on what you want to attach, the aftermarket ones may offer more options though.

Give Honda Parts Guys a look for prices. Might be a little cheaper there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Are they any good?
I had Thule on the sante fe that we trade in for the 2021 pilot SE.
The genuine Honda cross bars are under $200 whereas a new set of Thule aero bars are over $600.
Looking for feedback. We haul three bicycles once a year when we go on vacation. Otherwise it never gets used and it’s more or less a decoration.
Get yourself a hitch mount. Probably the easiest and safest way to haul bikes.

·
Registered
21 SE awd in ssm
13 Posts
i'm shopping roof cross bars. i have the se. w/installed rails. thule web side sez nada for the pilot w/rails.
what they have for a normal roof is rated at 220 pounds. cheapo amazon carry a 150 pounds. prolly get the amazon bars at a hundie. ($100)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts