Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a notice in the mail today regarding the START/STOP keyless ignition button being defective on the 2016/2017 Pilot models. Attached is the notice...

Service Bulletin 20-117

Has anyone else received this notice and been able to proactively get theirs replaced? I'd hate to be on a road trip and this problem surfaces out of nowhere....

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
As far as I know, you must have the Keyless start error and the B12C5 error code to qualify for the repair coverage. The car will still work ok after you get the error so you will have time to get it to a dealer. The only thing that might not work is the auto walk away locking but you can still lock it with the remote.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I just received a notice in the mail today regarding the START/STOP keyless ignition button being defective on the 2016/2017 Pilot models. Attached is the notice...

Service Bulletin 20-117

Has anyone else received this notice and been able to proactively get theirs replaced? I'd hate to be on a road trip and this problem surfaces out of nowhere....
I have one from Honda Canada too, extending the warranty of start/stop to 9 years/200,000km.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I have one from Honda Canada too, extending the warranty of start/stop to 9 years/200,000km.
Good that Honda Canada is sending the notices out now. I didn't get one because the Honda dealership that I purchased my used Pilot from did not transfer the contact info. I got it updated last month when I had the injectors replaced at another dealership. They even refunded me the money that I had spent on a replacement start stop button back in July.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Good information for other owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Service Bulletin 20-117

Yes I received one yesterday- 2/22/21. I had to replace mine in the summer. Way before the letter came out. Honda paid for it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
yep, got the letter yesterday. Honda should do recall instead but knowing Honda these days, is just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Posting a PDF of the letter and reimbursement paperwork for anyone that can use it or keep a copy. This official letter seems to indicate that warranty extension applies to ALL 2016-2017 Pilots and 2017 Ridgelines.

So it shows up in search results:
DTC B12C5
Engine Start/Stop Button
Keyless Start System Error
Service Bulletin #20-117

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Posting a PDF of the letter and reimbursement paperwork for anyone that can use it or keep a copy. This official letter seems to indicate that warranty extension applies to ALL 2016-2017 Pilots and 2017 Ridgelines.

So it shows up in search results:
DTC B12C5
Engine Start/Stop Button
Keyless Start System Error
Service Bulletin #20-117
Thanks! Now I have to deal with the dealer who is going to try to charge me to read the code. Its possible that all newish cars are unreliable because of the increased complexity, but this Pilot is a disappointment. I recently dealt with an emissions system recall P219A, then the driver side visor just fell off. The sunroof sticks, the back creeks when it opens and closes, I hear a click when back up. Not good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@testpilot99
I (we) have no ideal of the vehicle or build specification of what you are driving. Nor mileage etc all of which are important. A signature is a key part in posting on a forum, so that when reading we can see that info in a footer.

PS: I don't have one, since I am deciding where to buy on at this time.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oops sorry @Tripplec - I have 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L purchased new - For a family the Pilot design is amazing but the build quality is a disappointment. But like I said, maybe my expectations are too high for newish cars. For us, comfort in the third row was very important. I believe each successive row is higher (like a movie theater), which allow the people in the back to feel more comfortable. Also, the canopy is high so all the windows allow in lots of light, even the third row. All of these things make the pilot a much less sporty looking (IMHO) but much more comfortable.

When I purchased the car, there were no other cars like it. The Toyota Highlander felt much more cramped and coffin like in the third row. However, now I believe other manufacturers have improved significantly. I have not had the need to evaluate a new people mover but Honda's lead may have evaporated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tellirude from Kia in AWD is a viable option once 2022's come out.
I have a Highlander Sport currently 4WD and 3rd row is not a factor at all just the added internal space. Also a Sorento 2015 AWD SX a real cream puff my wife has. I really like it but many new models are going to 4 cylinder engines and some even CVT. I wouldn't touch either at any price!!! FYI

I am surprise at a lot of the issues I am finder on Honda reading for days now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tellirude from Kia in AWD is a viable option once 2022's come out.
I have a Highlander Sport currently 4WD and 3rd row is not a factor at all just the added internal space. Also a Sorento 2015 AWD SX a real cream puff my wife has. I really like it but many new models are going to 4 cylinder engines and some even CVT. I wouldn't touch either at any price!!! FYI

I am surprise at a lot of the issues I am finder on Honda reading for days now.
Yes the Telluride / Palisades seem to be winners but time will tell about their build quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts