Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda NAV and Honda RES in a Pilot?

NOTE: Thread should be Honda NAV and Honda RES in Pilot?

The edmunds folks are doing a long-term road test on the Pilot (see link). No big surprise in that. The thing that I was surprised to find out is that they seemed to have been able to add the Honda RES to an Evergreen NAV pilot at the dealership. I thought you couldn't add the Honda RES to the NAV? Anyone have confirmation of this??

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/76080/article.html

·
Registered
173 Posts
Probably not OEM...

I interpreted the article to mean that the DVD was a local option... not an official Honda DIO.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Probably not OEM...

ChiefPilot said:
I interpreted the article to mean that the DVD was a local option... not an official Honda DIO.
OK so the article says this:

"Keep in mind that if you want both the navigation and the DVD systems on a Honda Pilot you must get a Pilot with the factory nav system and then have the DVD system installed at the dealer. Of course, you could trust an aftermarket shop to do the work, but the aftermarket installation won't come with a full Honda warranty"

and your thinking that the RES is aftermarket, but comes with the full Honda warranty? That could be. I still find it misleading. They talk alot about selecting the options from the Honda website - including the DVD. Maybe they don't know that they don't have the stock Honda RES? I thought that physically the RES and NAV headunits didn't fit, but I have no proof of it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Could it be

The dealer installed VHS tape system like the Odyssey?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I see that I messed up the thread title: it should be NAV and RES in the Pilot. Darn! Sorry all.

I didn't know the Ody had a VCR option. Anyway, the article says they got a DVD. Hard to confuse those two??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Head Unit

I would think you have to change the Head Unit to install the Honda RES system. Head unit in EXL-Nav and EXL-RES are not the same. Seem to me the the EXL-RES Head unit have a 2 zone (front and rear audio zone) feature which the EXL-NAV Head unit is missing. On the other hand, not sure the EXL-RES Head unit has the ability to support the NAVI voice feature. If I have to guess, the article is talking about a aftermarket dealer install DVD system which will cover by the Honda dealer warranty. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The Edmunds Pilot had an aftermarket DVD system installed by a local installer that the dealer used and the dealer (not Honda) warranted. This is a fairly common practice.

Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xyzzy said:
The Edmunds Pilot had an aftermarket DVD system installed by a local installer that the dealer used and the dealer (not Honda) warranted. This is a fairly common practice.

Chris
Thanks Chris,

This is what I thought was the case until the article implied that they selected the option from the Honda website. So they just don't know they have an aftermarket unit. I think I'll email them.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The very next line is this:

The prices quoted include dealer installation charges, and we should note that the DVD entertainment system is not listed on the Honda Web site, but was available through Goudy Honda in Alhambra, Calif.

My guess it that they would point you to this line as well. Not sure.

Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm either in need of new eyes or they just added that in. I looked at the article several times before starting this thread.

Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
919 Posts
That's OK, it happens to the best of us. I look at technical documentation that my group produces and things just get missed from time to time.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a lot of trouble finding an aftermarket DVD player that contains the player in the screen unit - all that I've seen have the player as a separate, dash-mounted unit. That obviously won't work for my silver EX-Nav.

Does anyone have info on what Honda uses for their installation, or an aftermarket unit that is all contained in one unit?

Also - wondering if, when you do the RES aftermarket, the audio still plays through the car audio system? Or is the audio self-contained in the DVD player, through the headphones only, etc....

Thx.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There have been many posts on RES systems but most are not on a nav. Kruzo has been doing a lot of research on his system for a NAV Pilot. You may want to search for his posts on this or PM him. If you have not done so, you might search the various forums here and in the acuramdx.org site for many posts. Good luck. By the way - my RES is clunky and unfashionable tv/vcr combo that I sling between the seats. Kids don't seem to mind. When DVD players come down I'll do a portable in the back instead of the vcr.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts