Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
The one way they could improve it from my view is to make it more robust. I have replaced probably 30 rear diffs over the years on Ridgelines. These were on trucks that were used as a trucks, farmers, contractors, pipeline employees, etc. Seems like the clutch aren't heavy enough to truly take the place of a 4wd truck. I have always been of the opinion that the Ridgeline is the truck 75% of the population needs, but it's not a truck for the 25% who use a truck for a truck on a daily basis.
Very interesting. I personally have only heard of one or two rear diffs failing on a VTM-4 or iVTM-4 system in my years on Honda forums. Great information to share.

Reactions: Nail Grease
Discussion starter · #22 ·
I have replaced probably 30 rear diffs over the years on Ridgelines.
"Interesting" indeed. I've spent several hours per day for 14 years on RidgelineOwnersClub.com where I'm an administrator and I can only recall two VTM-4 unit failures - one of which failed due to external causes (cracked). I also recall one iVTM-4 unit on a 2G Ridgeline that was replaced under warranty due to leaks. If you've truly replaced 30 VTM-4 units on Ridgelines, I can't help but wonder how many of those were damaged due to inappropriate use of the VTM-4 LOCK function.

"Interesting" indeed. I've spent several hours per day for 14 years on RidgelineOwnersClub.com where I'm an administrator and I can only recall two VTM-4 unit failures - one of which failed due to external causes (cracked). I also recall one iVTM-4 unit on a 2G Ridgeline that was replaced under warranty due to leaks. If you've truly replaced 30 VTM-4 units on Ridgelines, I can't help but wonder how many of those were damaged due to inappropriate use of the VTM-4 LOCK function.
In over 250k miles of use on my first gen Pilot, the lock function was used perhaps three times. Once just for kicks. Another on a six inch slushy "I don't need to use it but why the *@(# not" and only once for real going up a very steep incline covered in about 9 inches of snow. And yes I did try the slope without the lock in action and failed. If you don't try the features you don't know how well they work.

To me the return of the VTM 4 lock would be great for the Trailsport edition....

All the ones that I have replaced as I remember were failed clutch packs. Customer would complain that they got stuck on only 1 or neither rear wheel would spin. Upon diag the vtm failed the torque test- replace unit. Again I think they were all being used at moderate to high truck stuff on a daily basis. As good as a Ridgeline is for many things, imho, it's not a good half ton truck when used as a half ton truck. I've pulled cars, boats, etc with a Ridgeline, I'll take a 1500 over it all day every day. Just depends on what your needs are for a truck.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
To me the return of the VTM 4 lock would be great for the Trailsport edition....
One of our former admins on ROC was buddies with Gary Flint, the chief engineer for the 1G Ridgeline. He said the VTM-4 LOCK function was removed for two reasons:

1. Customers were confused about its operation.
2. It was no longer necessary due to the faster reaction time and operating logic of the iVTM-4 system which

As good as a Ridgeline is for many things, imho, it's not a good half ton truck when used as a half ton truck.
Tell that to this guy who regularly pulled 5,000 to 8,000 lbs. with his 2008 Ridgeline for 156,000 miles on the original transmission and VTM-4 fluids! ;)

One of our former admins on ROC was buddies with Gary Flint, the chief engineer for the 1G Ridgeline. He said the VTM-4 LOCK function was removed for two reasons:

1. Customers were confused about its operation.
2. It was no longer necessary due to the faster reaction time and operating logic of the iVTM-4 system which

Tell that to this guy who regularly pulled 5,000 to 8,000 lbs. with his 2008 Ridgeline for 156,000 miles on the original transmission and VTM-4 fluids! ;)
I think the real reasons were #1 and it's one less button to engineer, design a location on the dash, design and install wiring, etc.

I also think one example of an abused RL that survived definitely does not mean that all can do that. I do agree that a Ridgeline is all the truck I would need for 99% of my activities but on the off chance we do end up getting a travel trailer big enough for my wife to actually want to spend time in it, it will be too long and too heavy for a RL to handle.

Reactions: Tacoma'03Pilot
I don't know squat about Ridgelines or Honda rear diff design, but I do know that an anecdote to the contrary does not refute data suggesting a trend.

I think it's really cool that a Honda stood up to that kind of abuse, and I appreciate you sharing it. However, cool anecdotes aside, for me it's not even slightly controversial that a truck designed and built for a heavier load will generally perform more successfully under that load over time vs. a light duty design.

This isn't an argument or a rebuke, so please don't anybody take it as a desire to debate. I apologize to the moderators in advance if I've ignited non-productive thread drift.

Lol, there's always a lucky few who it works for. 8k behind a Ridgeline vs my 18 gmc 1500 are 2 starkly different experiences. Been there done that, not an experience I wish repeat.

Interesting Honda didn't do much of a press release, but the '22 page is live and the Pilot Trailsport is finally seen in the non-metallic grey color. Funny, the wheels look an awful lot like black painted versions of the pre-facelift G2 Ridgeline.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Interesting Honda didn't do much of a press release, but the '22 page is live and the Pilot Trailsport is finally seen in the non-metallic grey color. Funny, the wheels look an awful lot like black painted versions of the pre-facelift G2 Ridgeline.

View attachment 154030

View attachment 154031

View attachment 154032
Yep - those appear identical to the ones used on the 2016-2020 Ridgeline Black Edition.

I guess Honda felt the need to pay the Pilot back since they used 2012-2015 Pilot Touring wheels on the 2014 Ridgeline SE. :)

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Yup, definitely Ridgeline wheels painted black.
Good catch.
I think they look pretty good on it. I think the Trailsport is a nice looking package on the Pilot.

Yep - those appear identical to the ones used on the 2016-2020 Ridgeline Black Edition.

I guess Honda felt the need to pay the Pilot back since they used 2012-2015 Pilot Touring wheels on the 2014 Ridgeline SE. :)

View attachment 154038 View attachment 154039
Got the wheels, gotta get the most out of them! I think they look good on both vehicles.

Saw my first one in person this morning. Honestly I was at the nearby Ford dealer early Sunday morning hunting for Mavericks and saw this when I figured I'd round the Honda lot too. I like both the Trailsport package and the color more than I expected to in person. It still looks less natural than a 2nd gen would look lifted with the streamlined shape, but I approve.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: aggrex
As far as I can tell, the TrailSport is a an EX-L with a few added amenities (wireless phone charger, Honda Nav System, "Rugged-Style All-Season Tires," All-Season floor mats, and fender flares,) all for an extra $4.5K

Discussion starter · #36 ·
The TrailSport is actually a Special Edition with:

• Intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4®) all-wheel-drive (AWD) System
  • 18-inch gloss black alloy wheels
  • P245/60 R18 105H all-season tires
  • Black wheel lug nuts
  • 0.6-inch (15-mm) taller ride height
  • Fender flares
  • Heated gloss-black, power side mirrors with integrated LED turn indicators and reverse gear tilt-down
  • Black taillights
  • Power tailgate
  • TrailSport emblem
  • Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with voice recognition and Honda HD Digital Traffic
  • All-season floor mats
A Special Edition is an EX-L with:

• 20-inch gloss-black alloy wheels
  • P245/50 R20 102H all-season tires
  • Black roof rails
  • Hands-free access power tailgate
  • Wireless phone charger
  • Special Edition badge

My 2020 Touring Non Trail Sport does well in both sandy and snowy conditions.

If only they would offer it with the Ridgline 18" RTi wheels. Been hunting for a set of these all over for a while now.
Automotive design Table Rim Auto part Bicycle part

It does make me wonder what will happen with the future of the Pilot line now with the introduction of the Trail Sport. The 2020 Passport line is down to three models, the EXL, the Trail Sport and the Elite. The Trail Sport seems to have taken the place of the Touring albeit slightly stripped down accessory wise.

Could Honda be thinking of something similar for the Pilot line? Makes one wonder.

My 2020 Touring Non Trail Sport does well in both sandy and snowy conditions.

If only they would offer it with the Ridgline 18" RTi wheels. Been hunting for a set of these all over for a while now.
View attachment 157179

It does make me wonder what will happen with the future of the Pilot line now with the introduction of the Trail Sport. The 2020 Passport line is down to three models, the EXL, the Trail Sport and the Elite. The Trail Sport seems to have taken the place of the Touring albeit slightly stripped down accessory wise.

Could Honda be thinking of something similar for the Pilot line? Makes one wonder.
Those do look good... and I actually think the Bronze HPD versions of that wheel look good on the RL too.

They already have started paring down the models and shuffling features for the Pilot. Honda REALLY hates offering options/packages so the only reason I'd say they keep some of their trims is basically to have the standard trim (EX-L) and the option package version of the trim (Special Edition) with blacked out wheels and trim and some other minor upgrades.

I don't see anything a 25 year-old Miata couldn't do. :)
Yea, their off road content went downhill when whatever government entity that maintained Gold Mine Hill shut that down, but that area was the perfect test of AWD systems.

The Pilot was one of the few crossovers that made it up stage 3, and that was on 100% street tires.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.