Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my towing pkg installed finally. BTW I thing I got a good deal, pkg was $485.00 and installation was $170.00. Now my question is, when I put the hitch in and snap the safety pin in place it fits a bit loose. Now is this normal? When I tow the boat I can hear the hitch making a clank noise when I stop and when I go. Is not big but I can hear it and is from the loose pin, when I push it and pull it by hand it has some give and makes the noise. It might be normal but I'm new to towing and I'm not sure.

Is there any way to remedy this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
that sounds like a great deal i got the factory package with the car for $720 installed. yes my reciver clunks also i was told by the trailer guy i purchased my cargo trailer from that they all do that and should quiet down when you have a load on the reciver . im not sure sure why they dont use closer tolorance fit ??

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
All hitches do that

I think the whole industry is loose on their tolerences.

My Curt Hitch on my CR-V is actually tight and does not fit one hitch lock I have.

There are Draw Bars with springs or rubber inserts to help, but I have never used one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silent hith lock

I checked this out online and seems like a great idea and I will check it out and let everyone know. I'm going to try to find one in town though. I've made too many online orders lately and I'm tired of waiting for the mail...:eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tried to find that item locally and could not. The e-trailer folks are top notch - you get e-mail when the order is made, when the order is shipped, and allows tracking. Got it quick, and done right. I recommend them.

EJ

·
Registered
385 Posts
FSDO said:
[ i was told by the trailer guy i purchased my cargo trailer from that they all do that and should quiet down when you have a load on the reciver [/B]
I found to the contrary. When the weight shifts with a load on, the noise is considerably louder.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Eliminating the noise

This solution is more complicated, but it works. I drill a hole in the bottom front of the hitch receiver. This hole is tapped to enable a 5/16 bolt (wing nut head preferable) to be screwed through the housing and into the open cavity of the receiver. When the ball mount is installed, the bolt can be tightened to push against the ball mount front edge. This takes up the slack and eliminates the room for rattle. I think a tighter hitch is a safer hitch. BPILOT

·
Registered
71 Posts
DM:

It does not get quieter under load, except when you get going on an even surface. When I pulled my boat, it lurched and clanged on stops and take off. Get the gizmo from e-trailer. It is simple to put on (but does involve tightening a bolt every time you put on the receiver), and comes with a lock.

Gets rid of the rattle, etc.

EJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
The trailer guys said the solution BP suggests will work, too, but requires going to a machine shop to get the thing tapped.

Essentially the gizmo I bought achieves the same result. It tightens the receiver against the hitch wall with a nut and bolt.

EJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eddie Joe

Question, I can see how it would get rid of the rattle and noise when nothing is hitched to the ball but what about when the boat is on and you get that clanking noise when you stop and go? Does it get rid of that too?

·
Registered
71 Posts
DCM:

I haven't pulled the boat with it on yet, so I can't say positively. However, it tightens down pretty tight, so I am betting it will not easily bang back and forth on braking or take off, although it might still move a little under stress. The point should be, it won't move fast, so the jerking should be minimized. I'll post on the board when I give it a try. The drilling and tapping suggestion would positively work, I think, although you would need a hefty bolt to withstand the pressure of towing and stopping without breaking. The gizmo will not break, because the bolt is also the pin holding the receiver in the hitch.

However, the way the weather has been down here, I may not go fishing for a while. In addition to being cold (for us), the wind has been steadily blowing stronger than I can stand for my boat.

Regards,

EJ

·
Registered
95 Posts
HITCH HELP PLEASE!!!

OK if someone can figure this out you are doing better than I am. It is all PaulV7 fault, cause he got me started on this and now I am up to my elbows!!! Just kidding.

Here goes; two weeks ago upon purchase of my Pilot, we opted for the hitch option. We chose the 2in ball. We paid $699. They told us all that mumbo jumbo about it costs 17% less to do it at delivery and that it would then be covered under our warranty, blah blah.. Whatever.

Now after researching, I discover that there are these two fluid coolers necessary for towing. I want to make sure I got what I paid for... I looked and I didn't think I had the upgraded coolers. I even took it this afternoon to a local dealer, different from the one I bought it at and had them tell me whether any upgrades had been installed. And no they hadn't.

After doing further research I went to Tim's website and could price out the parts indivdually but realize that doesn't include labor, soooooo based on what I paid was I suppose to get the coolers or not?

Thanks in advance.:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: HITCH HELP PLEASE!!!

klowry said:
OK if someone can figure this out you are doing better than I am. It is all PaulV7 fault, cause he got me started on this and now I am up to my elbows!!! Just kidding.

Here goes; two weeks ago upon purchase of my Pilot, we opted for the hitch option. We chose the 2in ball. We paid $699. They told us all that mumbo jumbo about it costs 17% less to do it at delivery and that it would then be covered under our warranty, blah blah.. Whatever.

Now after researching, I discover that there are these two fluid coolers necessary for towing. I want to make sure I got what I paid for... I looked and I didn't think I had the upgraded coolers. I even took it this afternoon to a local dealer, different from the one I bought it at and had them tell me whether any upgrades had been installed. And no they hadn't.

After doing further research I went to Tim's website and could price out the parts indivdually but realize that doesn't include labor, soooooo based on what I paid was I suppose to get the coolers or not?

Thanks in advance.:confused: :confused:
If I'm not mistaken, you cannot purchase anything but the FULL package when doing the "installed" routine. The only way you can break the package up is if you do it yourself.

Sounds like you have been "had" by your original $tealer.

:eek:

·
Registered
283 Posts
OK I hope this helps you.

I called Honda, my dealer, and O'Donnell Honda. They will sell just the hitch if you ask for only the hitch. They will install ONLY the hitch at time of purchase if you ask for only the hitch. The hitch w/ no installation only costs about $250. So I would say yes you payed for the coolant and should call your dealer.

Here is what was confusing people on my sales receipt it said "class 3 tow hitch." and not anything like "tow package". But the price was right around where the cost of the hitch+the coolers would be.

The short of it is I called up my dealer FINALLY got the manager and told him the whole story. We both looked at my sales receipt which he faxed to me and sure enough I was suppose to get the coolers. He told me to come down Saturday and they will install them while I wait.

Made my day :D Restored some of my love for Honda.

anyone reading this that didn't read my other post about what happened here is alink

·
Registered
95 Posts
YUK!

Great how on earth am I going to go about this. The dealer is doing every dance known to man to get around this. I am now talking to the Service Manager and the Delivery Options Managers and they are using every work game known. Basically, the delivery manager is going to quote I got what I paid for, and she can reword it accordingly. The Service Manager is contacting California, whatever that means to determine towing capacity with what I have installed which is basically advoidance!! I am calling the parts dept tomorrow and try and get them to qoute me prices and get a written estimate, but I don't feel confident that I can get the numbers to match.

THe crappy part about this is since every dealer does it differently, I don't really have any hard evidence to show them, and I don't think Honda manufacturer is going to help, I think it is between me and the dealer. The only leverage I might have is that the place they really make their money is on service.

I hate this!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: YUK!

klowry said:

THe crappy part about this is since every dealer does it differently, I don't really have any hard evidence to show them, and I don't think Honda manufacturer is going to help, I think it is between me and the dealer. The only leverage I might have is that the place they really make their money is on service.

I hate this!
I'm with you on this klowry. Stuff like this really bugs me! :mad:

·
Registered
461 Posts
What do the coolers look like in the engine versus the regular engine. I was told I had the coolers. Where are they and what do they look like?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Coolers

my3kids, here is a link to the other post where I asked the same thing. I have been there, Good Luck.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3686

Things to be sure of; I printed off the install instructions which provided a diagram, then it was fairly simple to look through the grille and see whether they are installed or not.

Also the Delivery options ladies I was dealing with kept referring to them as fluid coolants, as in liquid consistency. That is not accurate, they are fluid coolers, like colling elements (like a heating element) it was pretty bad when I had to teach the dealer about them!

Let us know how it turns out. If it doesn't look good try: http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3713

·
Registered
283 Posts
The coolant system are instead of the original power steering and transmission tubes you have ones with fins (heat-sinks).

The easiest place to see it is right above your license plate and off to one side. Look through the wholes you will see the radiator. In front of the radiator will be a U-shaped tubed. The tube goes from 1 side of your radiator to the other. In the straight sections of the tube you should have fins. These fins help pull heat away from the fluid inside and airflow over the fins pulls heat off of them.

It is illustrated here Hitch Kit

Check out page 5-8

1 - 20 of 52 Posts