Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Yakama bike rack that we have had and used with our Odesssy for several years so when we purchased our Pilot we had the dealer install the hitch.

But we can't use the rack because the pin hole in the hitch is to close to the end. That means that when the bolt for the rack is placed in the pin hole the head of the bolt catches on the collar and cannot be tightend. Anyone else have this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
yup I have the same problem with my Thule back rack. What I did is bought the Thule trailer hitch lock. It fits back there and uses a key to unlock it so less chance of some one deciding they want my bike rack for their own.

Thule Snug-Tite Lock

Is a bit on the pricey side though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Yakima bolt is supposed to do the same thing. The bolt is supposed to screw into a captured nut inside the tube of the bike rack. Its supposed to pull the captured nut and eliminate any wiggle of the rack in the hitch receiver. Then its supposed to stick out the other side where a lock cap fits on the end and can only be removed with a key. Problem is with the collar in the way can just barely catch the thread of the nut and the end does't stick out the other side so lock can't be used. I ended up with a standard bolt with plain end that holds the hitch but can't be locked. I'll have to rely on a cable lock to detour theft.

Oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
This is a great thread to point out the only defect with the Honda Hitch. :mad:

As previously stated the pin hole is too close to the receiver collar.

My Sportswork bike rack (highly recommended) also came with a bolt for attachment to the receiver. It was not possible for the bolt head and washer to seat flush against the receiver side. :3:

I decided I wanted to use a standard locking pin so I did two things to make it work.

1) I removed the threads from the welded bolt inside the end of bike rack that inserts into the receiver. This can easily be done with a drill bit the exact diameter of a standard hitch pin. I could have stopped here if I wanted to use the included Honda pin.

2) I used a dremel tool with a 1/2" diameter grinding wheel to shave a small bit of the receiver collar. This step provided enough clearance to allow my current locking pin to fit properly.

The modification worked great and the bike rack is very secure.

All this could have been avoided if the pin hole in the Honda hitch was move back at least 1/4".

An alternate locking pin would have saved some time, but then I would have not been able to use my tools. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
bcclements said:
This is a great thread to point out the only defect with the Honda Hitch. :mad:

As previously stated the pin hole is too close to the receiver collar.

My Sportswork bike rack (highly recommended) also came with a bolt for attachment to the receiver.
Neat!!!! I have been "on the fence" for about 4 months on what bike rack to buy - but the Sportsworks was one that I have heard good things about. Do you have the basic 2 bike model - or also the optional 3rd bike tray? Any "good deals" out there on pricing?

Thanks!!

:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
colorider said:


Neat!!!! I have been "on the fence" for about 4 months on what bike rack to buy - but the Sportsworks was one that I have heard good things about. Do you have the basic 2 bike model - or also the optional 3rd bike tray? Any "good deals" out there on pricing?

Thanks!!

:2:
I got the two bike version.

I suggest you use some other type of hitch pin other the bolt it comes with.

It would have been better to skip the modification I listed previously.

Check out these links.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Car_Racks-Sportworks_TranSport_Receiver_Hitch_Rack

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Bike_Rack/product_19956.shtml
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
bcclements said:


I got the two bike version.

I suggest you use some other type of hitch pin other the bolt it comes with.

It would have been better to skip the modification I listed previously.

Check out these links.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Car_Racks-Sportworks_TranSport_Receiver_Hitch_Rack

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Bike_Rack/product_19956.shtml
Thanks much - the one link I had seen before, but the other is new!! Good deal!! My requirement to haul three will be very seldom, so I will likely just go with the basic two-channel version.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Thule compatibility with Honda Hitch

Hey PaulV7,
I plan on using my Thule 939 Switchback on a the Honda hitch once my car comes. This rack came with the snug-tight lock (I believe that's what you call it). The system works great with a Reese hitch with about 1/8" room to spare behind the lock. I am wondering why you had to buy a snug-tight lock. Did it come with your Thule rack ... or is this lock different than the stock lock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Good deals

As far as good deal REI has 20% off Yakima until Monday the 26th. Thats about as good as Yakima gets for prices. Check out REI online for prices and if they have a store in your area or order online.


Matt:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Re: Good deals

m-mmeyer said:
As far as good deal REI has 20% off Yakima until Monday the 26th. Thats about as good as Yakima gets for prices. Check out REI online for prices and if they have a store in your area or order online.


Matt:)
Hey Matt, thanks for the tip! Do you know which accessories are needed for the Yakima rack system? I have an EX with just the factory standard roof rails.
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Thule Expressway

I bought a Thule Expressway to go on the Honda OEM hitch. At first, the washer from the rack that goes next to the hitch would not quite fit past the collar on the hitch. However, after playing with it, it seems if I start to put the bolt in at a slight angle that the washer slips in perfectly behind the collar. The Expressway comes with the Thule snugtite lock, which fits perfectly.

Have had the Thule for a few weeks, and have used it quite a bit, and love it. Takes about 2 minutes to install. We only use it for 2 bikes, but I like the extra room for them (and I also like the "zip stick" that allows you to tether the wheels and frame to the lower part of the rack to stop the wheels from turning and the bike from swaying).

--Bret
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Looking for a Nice Rack !

I just got Honda to install a new towing hitch onto my Pilot.
I have a Coleman Camper that I'll need to tow.

I'm interesting in getting a good bike rack that will carry 3 or 4 bikes. The rack will also need to have the towing adapter that will allow me to carry the bikes with camper in tow.


Any recommendations for a good Honda compatible bike rack that allows camper towing as well.

Cheers
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
There is a model that has a hitch pass through so you can carry 2 bikes and tow but I don't remember what the brand was. I do remember that I wasn't impresses and I thought I might pinch the bikes against the truck if I wasn't very careful.
I would suggest either a roof rack on the pilot or a rack on top of the camper. Or if you have a spare tire on the back of the trailer they make racks that clamp to the tire. All depends on how many bikes, when you want to carry them(with trailer and/or without) and if you want to carry anything else (ie: ski, canoe, etc).

Hope that helps,
Matt:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Re: Thule compatibility with Honda Hitch

jazcar said:
Hey PaulV7,
I plan on using my Thule 939 Switchback on a the Honda hitch once my car comes. This rack came with the snug-tight lock (I believe that's what you call it). The system works great with a Reese hitch with about 1/8" room to spare behind the lock. I am wondering why you had to buy a snug-tight lock. Did it come with your Thule rack ... or is this lock different than the stock lock?

My rack did not come with the lock. It came with the bolt/pin type of lock. I got mine at REI on sale a few months back.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top