Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Honda factory diagnostic software or have any recommendations on clones?

For my Volvo I have a clone of VIDA and it’s infinitely more powerful for diagnosing than other scanners. For example I was able to recalibrate the stepper motors that went crazy on my dash vents that no scanner is capable doing.

Was hoping I could get something similar for this Honda to pull code and info standard OBD2 readers pull.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
I don’t know how close it is to "cloning" an HDS (dealer's big ol' Honda Diagnostic System machine some dealerships will charge you an hour's book rate just for smiling in its direction :)), but the Foxwell NT630 Plus scan tool I got, after a couple of years of using an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and the Torque Pro app on my phone, reads (and clears) Honda-specific codes and performs other Honda-specific functions, like resetting VSA, etc. I believe it's one of the cheapest scan tools, if not the cheapest, that can do all that. Mine has paid for itself several times over.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
647 Posts
Working on reassembling one that was loaned/given to me. Unfortunatley the laptop had been dropped and would no longer power up. Waiting on a battery for it's replacement. Should be here sometime next week. The original laptop was set up for a few different brands of automobiles with different interface modules, and software. I need to get into the VSA, and SRS systems. Had those lights come on after a battery disconnect/reconnect for performing other work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I was thinking something like this, I have an older XP laptop I use just for my Volvo VIDA clone setup. Just curious if anyone has tried one of the clones here. It’s close to the same price as a lot of the Foxwell scanners as well.

I don’t even use my other obd2 scanners anymore on my Volvo since it does everything so much better.

I might bite the bullet and give it a shot.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
647 Posts

I was thinking something like this, I have an older XP laptop I use just for my Volvo VIDA clone setup. Just curious if anyone has tried one of the clones here. It’s close to the same price as a lot of the Foxwell scanners as well.

I don’t even use my other obd2 scanners anymore on my Volvo since it does everything so much better.

I might bite the bullet and give it a shot.
That looks like the same HIM that I'll be using. Don't see why your laptop couldn't do both.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
647 Posts
For under 90 bucks, the Foxwell NT630 Plus I linked to above will do that for you.
I asked you about the SRS, and you replied you weren't sure if it would access the SRS programming functions.
From what Bob told me this will. It will also do TPMS calibration.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
I asked you about the SRS, and you replied you weren't sure if it would access the SRS programming functions.
From what Bob told me this will. It will also do TPMS calibration.
I haven't needed to try the SRS functions, fortunately, I think I would have said, but according to the product description in my link above, it should have them...

Product Telephony Mobile phone Font Communication Device

Light Product Black Wheel Automotive tire

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
647 Posts
Well, I've got the laptop set up dual-boot with XP 32bit/W10 64bit. Also dug up one of my old trackballs. Replaced the 60 gb zif pata hdd with a 256 gb msata ssd, big difference. (y)
Now if DeJoy would quit messing up USPS my battery might get here next week. :rolleyes:
BTW using the laptop to post this message. ;)
It's a bit old and a little slow, but so am I. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
ssd, big difference. (y)
One of the best bang -for-your-buck computer upgrades. I’ve breathed new life into older computers around the house with that. (y)

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
647 Posts
One of the best bang -for-your-buck computer upgrades. I’ve breathed new life into older computers around the house with that. (y)
Wasn't sure if it would work or not, the ssd and converter board came out of an Apple ipod that had a broken screen.
Saw a writeup about this swap on a website for Linux users. They stated it would require a BIOS update to A09 mines got the A08 BIOS, but when I installed it in the old (2008) Dell D430 recognized it without updating the BIOS. (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts