Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that i was loosing coolant around the one side of the oil pan. Since i am due for the timing belt kit I was thinking of doing the job myself but
never did a timing belt job on a Honda .. So the Boss of the house went to our dealership that we use time to time .. they looked over the Pilot came back with timing belt kit includes tensioner , belt, water pump, and coolant . Plus replacement of oil pump seal and new oil pan gasket ... anyways they gave her a price of $1100 out the door.

it's a toss up on doing the job myself or just let them do it....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Call a couple other dealers and get quotes, there's been quite a few that were able to get the job done under $1k on the forum.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I noticed that i was loosing coolant around the one side of the oil pan. Since i am due for the timing belt kit I was thinking of doing the job myself but
never did a timing belt job on a Honda .. So the Boss of the house went to our dealership that we use time to time .. they looked over the Pilot came back with timing belt kit includes tensioner , belt, water pump, and coolant . Plus replacement of oil pump seal and new oil pan gasket ... anyways they gave her a price of $1100 out the door.

it's a toss up on doing the job myself or just let them do it....
For the timing belt job, watch this video and see if you'd be comfortable tackling the work involved:

Otherwise, check local Honda dealer websites for service coupons/specials.
If there's an Acura dealer nearby, get a quote from them, as well.
For me, the local Acura dealer underbid the local Honda dealer for a timing belt replacement - even though they are both part of the same dealership group - plus they provided an MDX as a free loaner car for the day.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you can find a local mechanic that specializes in Honda/Acura, you’ll find better rates. Also ask of your dealer accepts other Honda dealer coupons (mine does) and google for Honda Timing Belt coupons.

The reason I do it myself if because there’s other things to tackle. While the TB service will address the Belt, tensioner, water pump and coolant, it doesn’t address the accessory belt, accessory belt tensioner, thermostat, power steering fluid change, MAF/TB cleaning and PCV. These are all good things to address while you’re in there. Find out how much these additional items will cost to factor it into your decision.

Were the plugs done too? They were due at the 90K mark.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call a couple other dealers and get quotes, there's been quite a few that were able to get the job done under $1k on the forum.
Agreed ...i can get the timing kit job done for 800 they also included dropping the oil pan to re seal the gasket and repair the oil pump seal that's also in the same area ..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can find a local mechanic that specializes in Honda/Acura, you’ll find better rates. Also ask of your dealer accepts other Honda dealer coupons (mine does) and google for Honda Timing Belt coupons.

The reason I do it myself if because there’s other things to tackle. While the TB service will address the Belt, tensioner, water pump and coolant, it doesn’t address the accessory belt, accessory belt tensioner, thermostat, power steering fluid change, MAF/TB cleaning and PCV. These are all good things to address while you’re in there. Find out how much these additional items will cost to factor it into your decision.

Were the plugs done too? They were due at the 90K mark.
The factors i'm also considering is that I don't have access to a shop/ garage so this would be done in my driveway with the cold temps rolling in my beer would be nice and cool while i drink it :) ... This Pilot is coming up to the 200K mark so it's now due for all the 100 K goodies including plugs, fluid swaps, checking over break lines , brakes , filters, wipers , frame still has the factory green undercoating no rust I could find on any of the major areas.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the timing belt job, watch this video and see if you'd be comfortable tackling the work involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT-ZMNhOT-M

Otherwise, check local Honda dealer websites for service coupons/specials.
If there's an Acura dealer nearby, get a quote from them, as well.
For me, the local Acura dealer underbid the local Honda dealer for a timing belt replacement - even though they are both part of the same dealership group - plus they provided an MDX as a free loaner car for the day.
I never realized that Acura would work on a Pilot ..that just opened up a lot of opportunities, I saw this this video I have swapped tranny's , Engines many times in the day but they were GM's so it can't be that much different.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I never realized that Acura would work on a Pilot ..that just opened up a lot of opportunities, I saw this this video I have swapped tranny's , Engines many times in the day but they were GM's so it can't be that much different.

This is the video I used as a reference to do my tbelt service. I did have the comforts of a garage. I have an entire thread on my trials and tribulations.

It's that time...T BELT!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90851&share_tid=143049&url=https://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143049&share_type=t

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the video I used as a reference to do my tbelt service. I did have the comforts of a garage. I have an entire thread on my trials and tribulations.

It's that time...T BELT!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90851&share_tid=143049&url=https://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143049&share_type=t
I pulled the trigger ... followed your Tbelt link .. ordered the same TB company and parts ... should have everything by friday.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Forgot to ask ..since i'm pulling the water pump and draining the rad going to purchase the blue juice from Honda it looks like they call for max capacity at 9.7 qts ?

Coolant System (qt.) 9.7

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Forgot to ask ..since i'm pulling the water pump and draining the rad going to purchase the blue juice from Honda it looks like they call for max capacity at 9.7 qts ?
Coolant System (qt.) 9.7
Is that what your owner's manual specifies?

From the 2015 owner's manual:

Specified Honda Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type2
Ratio 50/50 with distilled water
Capacity 1.98 US gal (7.5 ℓ)
(change including the remaining 0.198 US gal (0.75 ℓ) in the reserve tank)

From the 2006 owner's manual:

Change* 1.93 US gal (7.3 )
Total 2.43 US gal (9.2 )
* Including the coolant in the reserve tank and that remaining in the engine reserve tank capacity: 0.193 US gal (0.73 ℓ)

·
Registered
844 Posts

Coolant System (qt.)9.7

I just got two gallons. Filled, burped and topped off.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that what your owner's manual specifies?

From the 2015 owner's manual:

Specified Honda Long-Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type2
Ratio 50/50 with distilled water
Capacity 1.98 US gal (7.5 ℓ)
(change including the remaining 0.198 US gal (0.75 ℓ) in the reserve tank)

From the 2006 owner's manual:

Change* 1.93 US gal (7.3 )
Total 2.43 US gal (9.2 )
* Including the coolant in the reserve tank and that remaining in the engine reserve tank capacity: 0.193 US gal (0.73 ℓ)
That's funny the info i provided came from the Honda's owner website here is a screen shot from it .

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts