Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked oil at gas station on my way to Honda dealer appointment. The engine cover was there. After extensive steering work (pump, leaking lines, etc - $1,500+) I headed home and had wicked squealing while turning. Checked power steering fluid to make sure it had not leaked out after servicing and the engine cover was gone. Had Pilot towed back to dealer and they replaced the serpentine belt to remedy squeal but claimed the engine cover was not there when I brought it in. So I am now missing engine cover. Ant thoughts?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Dumpster dive your dealer.

Sadly, it'll be your word against theirs. That's why I leave my dashcam functional on the rare occasions I have to leave it at the dealer (e.g., Takata airbag recalls).

They might have workbay cameras to keep tabs on lazy and/or crooked dealership employees (oxymoron alert), but good luck getting them to acquiesce to sharing their video with you.

But before you do any of that, take one last good look around the area you park your Pilot. Just in case.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Other than looking good, do they serve a purpose?

Lol ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Other than looking good, do they serve a purpose? View attachment 137849
Lol ¯\(ツ)
One of the constants on Scotty Kilmer's YouTube channel are complaints about these "plastic crap" "beauty covers" that are always in the way of getting a job done under the hood. Think of him as you may, but he's got a point there.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Don’t the covers keep engine noise down though?
I guess technically the Honda cover may, ever so slightly. I know for a fact on my 2013 BMW that has a thick foam cover, does help with sound. It's also concerning how much heat they hold in.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Don’t the covers keep engine noise down though?
That could be the original intention of the engineers at the drawing board, but as all too often happens one or more of the plastic screws meant to hold it down in place doesn't screw in right or has gone missing, with the real-world result that it tends to rattle and thereby achieve the opposite of its intended effect.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
I removed my plastic cover a few days ago when doing my valve adjustment and haven't put it back on since I'll be back under there next weekend to do the timing belt. I noticed that there seems to be more engine noise the past couple days, and I was wondering if it was due to something I did wrong during the valve adjustment, but I think I'll put the cover back on and see if that quiets it back down to normal levels.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Macgyver would use it to scoop some river water or dig out of a snow berm or paddle boat oar. The possibilities are endless.
On my wall it's become shelter for one or two spiders and it's really good a trapping dust.

Reactions: ys1219 and aggrex

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I know some are weighted to help with NVH. The ones on our Sonata and Pilot are both light and flimsy, but the one on the Traverse weighs 5 or 6 pounds.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Macgyver would use it to scoop some river water or dig out of a snow berm or paddle boat oar. The possibilities are endless.
Wonder what MacGruber would use it to scoop? :D

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I know some are weighted to help with NVH. The ones on our Sonata and Pilot are both light and flimsy, but the one on the Traverse weighs 5 or 6 pounds.
On my X5 diesel, it has a thick yellow foam rubber pad molded in the shape of the top of the engine then the plastic beauty cover goes over that. It definitely provides some sound proofing. But it also holds in the heat, baking plastic parts, so out with that.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Need to invent a pan that can attach to the front cat. Eggs and Bacon!
With a bacon grease diverter/vaporizer addition for the fuel injection. Free fuel plus people will smell you coming. My guess is that IHop and the Waffle House will be the first takers, driving such equipped vehicles around creating olfactory induced cravings for BACON.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
With a bacon grease diverter/vaporizer addition for the fuel injection. Free fuel plus people will smell you coming. My guess is that IHop and the Waffle House will be the first takers, driving such equipped vehicles around creating olfactory induced cravings for BACON.
See if IHOP or Waffle House will pay to put their logo on your door or something... people smell bacon then see the logo, marketing genius!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked oil at gas station on my way to Honda dealer appointment. The engine cover was there. After extensive steering work (pump, leaking lines, etc - $1,500+) I headed home and had wicked squealing while turning. Checked power steering fluid to make sure it had not leaked out after servicing and the engine cover was gone. Had Pilot towed back to dealer and they replaced the serpentine belt to remedy squeal but claimed the engine cover was not there when I brought it in. So I am now missing engine cover. Ant thoughts?
This thread is hilarious. Thanks for all input. All great ideas for missing engine cover!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts