Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody know how good the ceramic coating offered by Honda is? They give a 10 year warranty on the product in Canada and I would like to know if anyone has it on their Pilot and your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Unless they have a legit detail shop, Don't do it. Mine has it. Prep work is what makes the ceramic coating good. They spray it on without paint prep and correction. The hydrophobic property is there but the gloss isn't. Watch youtubes apex detail, forensic detailing, or pan the organizer on how to properly ceramic coat. It'll take all day if you do it yourself but the end result will be much better. I've used duragloss, cquartz uk, with real good results. I'm putting dr beasleys nano resin mx on my sisters car next month. I'll be removing the Honda coating and applying a good quality one in the near future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the message. I will look into how they are organized to do this. I want to know what the properties of this product is and how it compares to the other Nano products.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
My guess is they are contracting it to a local detail shop... I'd be interested to hear the process they will actually use and decide whether that's a legitimate installation process or they are just giving the panels a quick panel prep wipe and hitting it with some junk product.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For mine they washed then sprayed the coating then wiped down. No cure time or anything. Not smooth and the gloss isn't there compared to coatings I've applied.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
For mine they washed then sprayed the coating then wiped down. No cure time or anything. Not smooth and the gloss isn't there compared to coatings I've applied.
Yea on a new car I could possibly see forgoing the polish but it needs a full decon/panel prep. But that finish polish step is what will take the paint from looking nice and new to absolutely popping.

I wonder about this spray coating's longevity. What were they claiming? The 10 years the OP's dealer is claiming is absurd for the best coatings, let alone some spray on product without all of the prep steps done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I have learned that my pilot was a demo vehicle that was used as a stand alone for training purposes at a location in Vancouver ( 37 Kms on the odometer now after driven to the Honda dealership). Other manufacturers have this setup here as well, at different locations. So I have asked who the 3rd party company that was used to do the ceramic coating. I plan to reach out to them and even go to the shop and see their process and how they apply their product. I had the sales manager contact Honda Canada to get the specifics on their ceramic coating and what type of product it is, Graphene or nano. I will advise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought Honda's version on my 2015 white cv-v when new and 2016 blue Pilot; the Pilot last month. The Pilot looks like new of course. Both are guaranteed so what's not to like.
To wash, the dealer recommended the new wash/hybrid formulas or wash/wax like Meguires makes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I heard back from Honda. Their product is a ceramic Nano coating that is rated at above a 9 H rating. I have no idea if this is good or bad. Not my area of expertise. Apparently every owner that has this done gets a certificate from Honda and the 10 yr warranty on the product. I pick up the 2021 next Monday and I am curious to see what this certificate says. I am installing the welcome exterior lights and the Blue illuminated Honda door sill plates. I am looking forward to picking up the pilot and seeing everything installed. My next step will be to take it to the owner of a detailing shop who I know vey well who does Mercedes Benz, Land Rover and Porsches. He uses both Nano and graphene products. I plan to have him analyse the Honda product and get his take on their product as this is his field of expertise. I will advise what happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So today I took possession of my 2021 Black edition pilot. It was the last one available here in the Lower Mainland, BC. I noticed the mapping system in the navigation appears to be a newer version than in previous models as the map zooms in and out depending on where you are in your journey. I did a video of the welcome lights but cannot figure how to post it so I have added a pic. I think they look great for on OE install. The warranty card on the ceramic coating simply has the make, model and vin of the car and states 10 yr warranty on the finish. I will be taking it to my trusted contact to get his assessment of the product.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Looks good... It sounds to me like they are using a detailing company to provide the product and the warranty. If your contact gives it the stamp of approval I have no reason to still doubt it.

Reactions: C&EPilot

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I took my black edition to my guy and he used his equipment to check the work done and could not find any uneven locations nor any spots where the product was incorrectly applied. He put some water on the body, plastic trim and rims and it beaded nicely. Whomever applied the product at the 3rd party location knew what they were doing. I will revisit the product in 1 years time to check it again. We’re good to go!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts