Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for the best price on Honda Care. Several names came up on the internet and on Piloteers.org.
I found the best price at Hyannis Honda of MA. Spoke with Sean Rausch who was in charge of their Honda Care program, and found him to be very professional and efficient. They emailed me all the prices and different tiers, and then walked me through the process which was very easy. My price was one third of what my own dealer wanted to charge me. Unbelievable how different the pricing can be from State to State.
PS: Your Honda care is good at any dealership, anywhere. It's from Honda Corp.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Also for USA purchased Honda Care, its good in Canada too. My 2019 coverage also includes a free rental vehicle of up to $35.00 a day depending on how long the car is in for factory or Honda Care warranty covered work.

I think something like only .1 hour of warranty work is needed to be eligible for the rental, and even then I think that allows for 2 days of rental. I will have to check the paperwork in the car when she gets home to make sure about the hours and days.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
46 Posts
I was looking for the best price on Honda Care. Several names came up on the internet and on Piloteers.org.
I found the best price at Hyannis Honda of MA. Spoke with Sean Rausch who was in charge of their Honda Care program, and found him to be very professional and efficient. They emailed me all the prices and different tiers, and then walked me through the process which was very easy. My price was one third of what my own dealer wanted to charge me. Unbelievable how different the pricing can be from State to State.
I'm planning to get one too and I've read that it's better to get it while your car is under 6K miles, which mine is.

I'm also contemplating on getting the maintenance package. I'm not a DIY guy when it comes to car and I wonder if this is worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Note, if you buy a certified pre-owned Honda, you can NOT go back and buy Honda Care after the fact like you can on a new vehicle. It's a one-shot deal at the time you purchase the vehicle. Made that mistake!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found the best price at Hyannis Honda of MA. Spoke with Sean Rausch who was in charge of their Honda Care program, ..<<delteted>> . My price was one third of what my own dealer wanted to charge me. ...<deleted>>.
What is the coverage terms and price you paid?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Got mine from Sean also, back in June of 2019. 96 month, 120000 miles, $0.00 deductible. Paid $1345.00 with no taxes added since I live in Ohio and he is out of state. I believe though that some time later in 2019 Ohio started charging tax on out of state purchases but I got in before that went into effect. Your state may have different tax laws so don't forget to add tax if you need to.

Everything was done via an initial phone call and then email No problems and received the Honda paperwork within 10 days. At the time, the 3 dealers usually mentioned here were all with in $50.00 of each other. One of them (College Hills) is in Ohio and would have added around $100.00 for tax.

My dealer would not match or even come down on his price of $2400.00 plus tax, even after showing him the prices from on line dealers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the coverage terms and price you paid?
E: I got the D68 plan. 6 years; 80K for $720. Also thinking about picking up the Honda Maintenance plan 3 yrs., 36K.
(for oil changes, tire rotations, and the expensive 30K service requirement (to keep the warranty in play).

·
Registered
504 Posts
E: I got the D68 plan. 6 years; 80K for $720. Also thinking about picking up the Honda Maintenance plan 3 yrs., 36K.
(for oil changes, tire rotations, and the expensive 30K service requirement (to keep the warranty in play).
what is the 30k service? Those service plans usually exist to make money off of the customers so I hope you’ll add everything up and make sure it’s actually worth it. Most places do free tire rotation. As long as there is a record of maintenance I don’t think it would affect the warranty should anything break.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is the 30k service? Those service plans usually exist to make money off of the customers so I hope you’ll add everything up and make sure it’s actually worth it. Most places do free tire rotation. As long as there is a record of maintenance I don’t think it would affect the warranty should anything break.
JV: The 30K service for Honda Pilots is posted all over the internet. My selling dealer charges $875 for it. And if you don't get the 30K service done by Honda, or someone acceptable to Honda, I've been told if you have a problem in any of those 30K maintenance areas... and Honda doesn't like what you had done... good luck with your fight. It includes all routine maintenance for 3 years/ 36K miles (the plan I got), oil changes/tire rotations, my dealer charges $85 for those, all cabin filters, all engine air filters, and more than I can recall. And its all done by Honda dealers, so Honda Corp. would be happy. One Piloteer member changed some interior lights bulbs with after market bulbs, and the computer started acting up. I understand he took it into the Honda Dealer, and they said the Warranty was now questionable because of what he had done. I don't know how that turned out, but I don't need the headaches. I paid $575 for the full maintenance for 3 years, 36K. When the computer flashes maintenance needed, just take it in the any Honda Dealer. Figured I'll save money doing it this way, and no chance of warranty problems/headaches. Just my take.

·
Registered
633 Posts
JV: The 30K service for Honda Pilots is posted all over the internet. My selling dealer charges $875 for it. And if you don't get the 30K service done by Honda, or someone acceptable to Honda, I've been told if you have a problem in any of those 30K maintenance areas... and Honda doesn't like what you had done... good luck with your fight. It includes all routine maintenance for 3 years/ 36K miles (the plan I got), oil changes/tire rotations, my dealer charges $85 for those, all cabin filters, all engine air filters, and more than I can recall. And its all done by Honda dealers, so Honda Corp. would be happy. One Piloteer member changed some interior lights bulbs with after market bulbs, and the computer started acting up. I understand he took it into the Honda Dealer, and they said the Warranty was now questionable because of what he had done. I don't know how that turned out, but I don't need the headaches. I paid $575 for the full maintenance for 3 years, 36K. When the computer flashes maintenance needed, just take it in the any Honda Dealer. Figured I'll save money doing it this way, and no chance of warranty problems/headaches. Just my take.
If your dealer charges $875.00 for the "30000 mile" service, I would go to a different dealer!!! There are no big services done at that mileage according to Honda. The Honda maintenance plan you purchase ONLY covers what the Maintenance Minder says has to be done, nothing more! Hey, they do cover multi-point INSPECTIONS though also.

If you get your first oil change code at 8000 miles, but no oil filter code, you are covered only for the oil change. No Maintenance Minder code comes up for a "30000", "60000", etc service. These so called mileage services are dealer recommendations only, basically to make more profit. Yes it's good to do if you want to spend the extra money, but it will not be covered by the maintenance care package. Transmission fluid at 30000 or 60000 depending on what model you have. Coolant change, spark plugs, etc are not covered. You don't show what trim model you have so you may not even get a transmission fluid in 3 years if you have the 9 speed transmission.

Right from the Honda Care Maintenance coverage page

Honda Care Maintenance only covers the factory recommended services** specified by your owner´s manual when the Maintenance Minder Indicator comes on.

Honda 30,000 Mile Service
This service consists of:

• Engine Oil Replacement
  • Tire Rotation
  • Drive Belt Adjustment/ Inspection
  • Dust and Pollen Filter Replacement
  • Air Cleaner Element Replacement
  • Other Related Checks & Inspections
posted from this link

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IS:
You are right, no way would I pay the dealer the big bucks for the 30K service. I got the Honda Maintenance a whole lot cheaper than the cost of dealer's 30K service. Just don't feel like changing my own oil, and rotating my own tires anymore. Below is the description of what another local dealer will do for the 30K service. Also... I've never heard of any service dept. changing your oil and not replacing the filter also. I'm New to Pilot. First one. Since you have the 2019 Touring, do you actually get a maintenance notice via the computer that says " change oil only, filter not required?" I will ask the Honda Dealer I take it to if a filter is included with an oil change. If not, I'll be getting my money back. I would be shocked if an oil change at a Honda Dealership did NOT include a filter.

Honda Factory Required Maintenance
The following inspections and service procedures will be performed by our staff when you schedule an appointment for 30K, 60K, 90K, or 120K car maintenance.
  • Replace Engine Oil and Filter
  • Fill Washer Fluid Reservoir
  • Inspect and Top Off All Other Fluid Levels
  • Inspect and Adjust All Drive Belts
  • Rotate Tires R
  • Set All Tire Pressures
  • Tighten Suspension Bolts
  • Inspect and Adjust Parking Brake
  • Inspect Rear Brakes and Adjustment
  • Inspect Front Brake Pads and Rotors
  • Inspect Brake Lines, Wheel Cylinders, and Calipers
  • Adjust Clutch or Inspect Hydraulic System
  • Inspect Suspension and Steering Components
  • Inspect Power Steering System
  • Inspect Exhaust System
  • Replace Air Filter
  • Replace Transmission Fluid
  • Adjust Valves
  • Replace Brake Fluid (ABS Slightly Higher)
  • Replace Spark Plugs (Platinum Plugs Extra)
  • Inspect Distributor Cap and Rotor
  • Inspect Fuel Lines and Connections
  • Reset Service Indicator and Apply Reminder Label

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
Here is another dealers "Honda Maintenance schedule."

HONDA RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

7,500 - 22,500 - 37,500 - 52,500 - 67,500 - 82,500 mile maintenance

• Oil and filter change
  • Inspect brakes for wear
  • Lubricate throttle linkage
  • Check and correct fluid levels
  • Inspect tires and set tire pressure
  • Rotate tires
15,000 - 45,000 - 75,000 - 105,000 mile maintenance

• Lubricate chassis and hinges as required
  • Replace oil drain plug, gasket
  • Rotate and balance wheels and tires
  • Inspect undercarriage
  • Inspect crankcase filter
  • Inspect shocks and struts
  • Torque throttle body mount bolts
  • Inspect throttle leakage
  • Check and adjust clutch pedal freeplay as applicable
  • Inspect distributor cap-rotor-wires
  • Inspect A/C and heater operation
  • Service transmission
  • Check park brake adjustment
  • Inspect all lights and wipers
  • Oil and filter change
  • Replace air filter
  • Inspect for trans. leaks
  • Level control
  • Steering systems
  • Fuel and break systems
  • Replace spark plugs (if necessary)
  • Inspect and adjust drive belts
  • Inspect air filter elements
  • Rotate tires
  • Inspect brake system
  • Adjust parking brake
  • Check all exterior and interior lamps, windshield washer systems
  • Lubricate throttle shafts
  • Inspect drive shaft boots
  • Inspect differential oil
  • Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
  • Inspect steering gear box
  • Inspect steering wheel, linkage, and boots
  • Inspect road test vehicle
  • Inspect ball joints and dust covers
  • Inspect brake lines and hoses
  • Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
  • Inspect automatic transmission fluid
  • Replace windshield wiper insert(s)
  • Re-torque drive shaft bolt
  • Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
  • Lubricate all hinges and latches, door locks and door weather-strips
  • Lubricate propeller shaft
  • Replace air conditioning filter
If you do a little research on line with different Honda Dealers you will see varying maintenance schedules. If you RTFM the Honda Manual for you vehicle will tell you what service is needed when. It just takes a little looking at the MM various codes for the different maintenance items. And yes a A1 MM service is Oil Change only for certain Honda vehicles. The manual for your vehicle will tell you what Honda says has to be done.

Or you can go to Honda's Official site, input the relevant information for your vehicle and see what Honda says for that year, make and model. Maintenance Minder | Maintenance Schedule | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DGang... thanks for the info. I've also have seen different maintenance schedules from different dealers. I could probably get it done less expensively, but traveling to winter home, and then back to midwest, its more convenient for me to hook up with dealers I'm near to get the maintenance done. The plan I got for my Pilot EX-L awd, will cover the oil changes, tire rotations, cabin filters, air filters, and fluids + the 30K service, for less than $190 a year. And if the service prices go up... and they will, I'm locked in with no price increases. And be in warranty compliance. Good link you sent. I will go by my owner's manual. Safest bet. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my opinion, a lot of those items listed are nonsense or not applicable to our vehicles. To date, I have had three synthetic oil & filter changes at my local dealer and each time the cost is under $50.00 with tax. My last service was at +- 15,000 miles. I have replaced the cabin and engine air filters myself with genuine Honda filters that a local dealer sells for about 20% off of Honda's suggested list. Everytime I go to the dealer, the service writer says that the dealer suggests various services to be done. They have already suggested fuel injection cleaning, an alignment, etc. I do my own brakes and checks the fluids occasionally. Every 25,000 miles or so, I have the radiator fluid changed and the tranny serviced. These last two are so overkill but I have never had a tranny problem with a Honda to date. I say no to the 7,500, 15,000 etc. schedule services as they are overpriced for what you get. I took my car to America's Tire (Discount Tire) when it was new and purchased their certificates (about $120) so I get free balance, rotation and road hazard protection. My last vehicle was an Odyssey and I traded it in with over 190,000 miles on it and it was running fine. Again, my opinion but I see the service writers come into the waiting area and tell other customers that they need certain services that they really don't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Years ago (2007 Pilot) - I purchased one from Sean at Hyannis - it was 1/2 the cost of the regular dealer prices for the same 125K bumper to bumper. Not sure how it is now, but it was a simple conversation, email, credit card purchase with them. I'll vouch for them. BTW the warranty didn't help as the car was totalled (through no fault of mine) at 80K miles and my replacment used 2007 pilot has 240K miles with no issues. I'm a firm believer of maintenance and keeping ahead of the issues, and feel the 2006-2008 Pilots represent the best in quality (IMAO)!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BS: You are right on re: Sean at Hyannis. Shopped all around, he has the best prices on Honda Care and Honda Maintenance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is going to be a silly question, but I see there are HondaCare plans and maintenance plans available through Hyannis Honda. I think I read where HondaCare is like a warranty extension. To the post mentioned that this isn't a warranty directly through Honda, then does it not cover everything (electronics, Honda Sense related electronics/sensors, etc) or is a dice roll when it comes time to use the warranty and having a Honda dealer abide by the warranty?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is going to be a silly question, but I see there are HondaCare plans and maintenance plans available through Hyannis Honda. I think I read where HondaCare is like a warranty extension. To the post mentioned that this isn't a warranty directly through Honda, then does it not cover everything (electronics, Honda Sense related electronics/sensors, etc) or is a dice roll when it comes time to use the warranty and having a Honda dealer abide by the warranty?
HondaCare plans, including the ones you can buy through Hyannis are the full factory extended warranty backed by Honda USA. They cover pretty much everything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts