Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have read some recent discussions on buying used newer Pilots, and wanted to get your opinion. This may have already been asked, sorry.

A year ago I bought a CPO 2017 Pilot Elite, my first Honda. I declined the option for a Honda Care warranty, having been told numerous times over the years that they generally are nothing more than revenue generators for dealerships. The car had 58,000 miles, kinda high for a 3 year old car, but also why I felt like I got a good deal on it. It is/was in almost pristine condition, and I had it inspected by reputable mechanics who gave it a thumbs up. I was also basing this on anecdotal evidence from friends, neighbors, and coworkers of Honda car owners. Anything had to be better than my old Chev. Tahoe, which was killing me in maintenance costs.

So the 3/36 was already gone when I bought it, but the CPO gave me a 12 mo. warranty, and a 7year/80,000 on the drive train, if memory serves. So with all that, I have read about some issues with the fuel injectors. Would it be worth it to buy Honda Care at this point? Since we have been in COVID, I have only put 6,000 miles on it in a year. 馃槅. so no issues so far, but not enough to tell!

Thanks for your help, you guys/folks rock!

TerryG

Registered
I'm in a similar boat (bought CPO Honda but declined extended Honda Care) but from what I've been able to find out the Honda Care for CPO is a one shot deal. If you decline at the time of purchase you can't go back and buy it later like you can with a new car. Hope someone can correct me, but that's what I've been able to find out.

Registered
Well. you didn't say what the Honda Care warranty covered (i.e.: mileage and years), or it's cost. In the absence of knowing that, I'd say NO. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Just say NO.

Yes, they are revenue generators for dealers, but fundamentally, Honda Care is pre-paid maintenance for you. IMHO, use the money you would have spent on the premium, save it in a bank account and withdraw it some day if you ever need to pay for a repair to your Pilot. I bought a plan like this on a Ford van in 1997 that I dearly loved. Paid $1,000 dollars for the coverage. Used to once years later to repair the anti lock brake system, a $500 bill when the basic warranty was over. Net cost of that brake job: $1,000. Could have been $500, but nooo ... I wanted to save money by buying insurance. Since I didn't learn from that financial mistake, I bought Honda Care for my 2016 Honda Pilot. Paid $1,495 this time for 8 years and 120,000 miles of coverage. It was peace of mind. So far with 64,000 miles on that vehicle I am about to use it for the very 1st time to cover an $800 motor mount repair bill next week .... after paying a $100 deductible. So, you do the math: $1495 + $100 = $1,595 to cover an $800 motor mount repair bill. And I am so disappointed in Honda about needing to replace a motor mount (among other things) that I am shopping for another vehicle to replace the Honda. Never thought that the old phrase 鈥淎 Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted鈥 applied to me. :cry:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well. you didn't say what the Honda Care warranty covered (i.e.: mileage and years), or it's cost. In the absence of knowing that, I'd say NO. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Just say NO.

Yes, they are revenue generators for dealers, but fundamentally, Honda Care is pre-paid maintenance for you. IMHO, use the money you would have spent on the premium, save it in a bank account and withdraw it some day if you ever need to pay for a repair to your Pilot. I bought a plan like this on a Ford van in 1997 that I dearly loved. Paid $1,000 dollars for the coverage. Used to once years later to repair the anti lock brake system, a $500 bill when the basic warranty was over. Net cost of that brake job: $1,000. Could have been $500, but nooo ... I wanted to save money by buying insurance. Since I didn't learn from that financial mistake, I bought Honda Care for my 2016 Honda Pilot. Paid $1,495 this time for 8 years and 120,000 miles of coverage. It was peace of mind. So far with 64,000 miles on that vehicle I am about to use it for the very 1st time to cover an $800 motor mount repair bill next week .... after paying a $100 deductible. So, you do the math: $1495 + $100 = $1,595 to cover an $800 motor mount repair bill. And I am so disappointed in Honda about needing to replace a motor mount (among other things) that I am shopping for another vehicle to replace the Honda. Never thought that the old phrase 鈥淎 Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted鈥 applied to me. :cry:
I dont know what the Honda Care plan included because I denied it outright. I have bought ext warranties for the two Fords I owned, because I never trusted Fords, as a GM guy. 馃槅. I had a 1992 Explorer where I broke even on the plan, and a 1998 Mustang, recently dearly departed, which i lost about $500 on because I never had a problem with it until recently long after the ext warranty expired. So my personal experience has been similar to yours. Thank you for your response!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm in a similar boat (bought CPO Honda but declined extended Honda Care) but from what I've been able to find out the Honda Care for CPO is a one shot deal. If you decline at the time of purchase you can't go back and buy it later like you can with a new car. Hope someone can correct me, but that's what I've been able to find out.
With other cars Ive owned, and I believe this is true with this car, I believe the ext warranty can still be purchased within a certain time/mileage window, which I think I鈥檓 still in, but havent researched it with Honda Care specifically. Maybe the decision has been made for me. Thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts