Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 se, my wife was driving it and it started to overheat, she stopped and called me. When I got to the car I found oil in the radiator, and no oil on the dipstick. The car has 70 k miles and has the honda care warranty, to 100 K miles. Car was towed to dealer, they said it was overheated, had a leaky radiator and I needed a new engine. I told them it had warranty, claim denied. I told them the radiator had no leak, and they had just performed a multipoint inspection 3 weeks before, no mention of coolant loss or leaks. After this, they said if I would agree to pay for engine teardown, 1 K, they would cover the problem if internal damage was found. Took engine apart and to machine shop to check for problems. Found problems, said the would replace short block, and reuse the heads. Called me a week later, said 1 head was cracked, would have to replace head, but only one head, not the other. I also was told I would have to pay for a new radiator and hoses, as they were contaminated with oil, $2200.00. I have called honda care, but without much luck. I think the cooling system could be cleaned, and $2200.00 is a lot for a radiator and hoses. What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So even if the radiator sprung a leak, wouldn't HondaCare cover it? Are they claiming it was owner neglect / negligence?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first that is what they said, I said show me the leak, I think there was no leak in the radiator. Then they went to the disassembly charge. The radiator and cooling system are not covered under the powertrain warranty, but I believe it could have been flushed out, as this happens with vehicles with radiator oil coolers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Radiator and hoses were collateral damage from the cracked head. That makes them eligible for complete warranty coverage. The $2200 price they want you to pay for them is three times the actual retail parts price. I would consult a contract lawyer regarding these liabilities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called honda care, and asked them why don't you cover the parts that the cracked head damaged? They said the cooling system is not covered under the powertrain warranty. They also said that they were going to flush out the heater core, and if that didn't work, to replace the heater core would be an additional $2300.00 to replace the heater core.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I looked up my dealer-purchased 100k HondaCare policy. It included the following (except for radiator hose). My HondaCare shows the radiator, engine head and parts ARE covered. The only things that aren't covered on my list are tires, paint, glass, bulbs, hoses, fluids, etc. Any idea why your 100k HondaCare policy is so different?

(Partial List)
  • Coolant Recovery Tank
  • Coolant Temperature Switch
  • Cooling Fan Blade
  • Cooling Fan Clutch
  • Cooling Fan Relay
  • Cooling Fan Shroud
  • Cooling Fan Switch
  • Cooling Fan Timer
  • Radiator
  • Radiator Cooling Fan Motor
  • Thermostat and Housing
    • Cam Bearings
    • Cam Shaft(s)
    • Connecting Rods and Caps
    • Crankshaft
    • Cylinder Block
    • Cylinder Head(s)
    • Engine Mounts
    • Lifters
    • Piston Rings
    • Pistons and Pins
    • Pushrods
    • Rocker Arms and Adjusting Screws
    • Rocker Bushings
    • Rocker Shafts
    • Rod Bearings
    • Timing Gears
    • Timing/Balance Shaft Belts
    • Valve Cover(s)
    • Valve Guides and Seals

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car was covered under the powertrain warranty, this covers the engine, transmission, etc, does not include the cooling system, we may be talking about 2 different things?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The car was covered under the powertrain warranty, this covers the engine, transmission, etc, does not include the cooling system, we may be talking about 2 different things?
Your title of the post says Honda Care..... that was the confusing part......

Honda Care is Honda's trademark name for their extended bumper-to-bumper warranty plan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has the powertrain cpo extended warranty, the phone number in the warranty book says hondacare?
Honda Automobile Customer Service: 1-800-999-1009Honda Care/Customer Service: 1-800-999-5901
I thought all the warranties went thru honda care? That is what the dealer keeps referring to, Hondacare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is an extension of the powertrain warranty, the same as when you buy the car new, the powertrain warranty continues after the bumper to bumper warranty expires, but this powertrain warranty goes to 100 K miles, or 120 K in some cases. Sorry about the CPO, reference, I sometimes assume everyone knows what this is, they also call it true certified, or certified. I am assuming no one else has had to use their powertrain warranty?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts