Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change rotors and pads on all four corners for this Centric kit from site sponsor Rockauto.com:

More Information for CENTRIC 90640061

Also going to change out the brake fluid, following the bleeding order of starting from the front driver's corner and going clockwise.

I welcome opinions on the type of brake fluid to go with this time. See thread title. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like Honda's DOT 3. Even use it on my fun car, an Acura Integra Type R. I track this car and brake fluid has held up even during hot, desert events :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
O'riley Brake Best Dot 4.

Buy one of these, makes bleeding so much better. I got it for my Jetta and then bled two of my other vehicles just because it so easy. You'll have a very solid pedal afterward.

I made my own adapter for the pilot. Still need to make one for my S10. But the one that came with it worked great for my Jetta and our mazda 5.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Also going to change out the brake fluid, following the bleeding order of starting from the front driver's corner and going clockwise.
I welcome opinions on the type of brake fluid to go with this time.
Since you reside in the Great White North, perhaps you'd want to try a DOT 5.1 formula fluid which maintains a lower viscosity in colder weather and ought to provide better ABS brake response under such conditions.
If you want the ultimate, stop by the McLaren dealer in Laval and buy the DOT 5.1 brake fluid they use.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DOT5 is not an option and DOT5.1 is probably overkill for me. I'll be taking my Pilot out to the supermarket or the mall more often than to the track or the tundra. :)

Also, the cheap bastard in me can't justify going beyond DOT3 or DOT4, and is somewhat skeptical Honda brand brake fluid is somehow superior or necessary.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
DOT5.1 is probably overkill for me. I'll be taking my Pilot out to the supermarket or the mall more often than to the track or the tundra. :)
But doesn't your Pilot deserve the "best"?

Also, the cheap bastard in me can't justify going beyond DOT3 or DOT4, and is somewhat skeptical Honda brand brake fluid is somehow superior or necessary.
How much of a price difference are you seeing between Honda brand brake fluid and "generic" DOT 3?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The loyalty amongst Honda owners toward Honda parts and fluids is almost concerning to me... I was getting a trans filter w/ seals from the dealer and the lady in line in-front of me was buying wiper blades... I told her, you know they are half that price at oriley or napa. She quickly said, "well they wont put them on for me." To which I said, "yes they will, for free." And she replied, "Well at least these are genuine Honda blades, so they'll last longer and work better."

Dot 4 is only a couple dollars more than Dot 3. And your car wont implode if you use an off brand...

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the end I just went with plain vanilla DOT 3. Just because that's what was on hand. Meh. :8:

·
Registered
830 Posts
In the end I just went with plain vanilla DOT 3. Just because that's what was on hand. Meh. :8:
I'm with you on this one. The DOT 3 fluid that O'Reilly sells probably comes from the same chemical plant that supplies the brake fluid to HONDA for their assembly line. It's more important to flush every couple of years with the correct clean, fresh fluid than it is to worry about the name on the can.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I will say after one week is that the new Centric brake set (linked to above) I installed feels a lot better than the previous set or the OEMs. I like them high and tight (insert your own joke here ?), and these have more grab.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
So what I'm reading is we can use Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid. What I want to know is, How do I determine when I used up all my dots in the brake fluid? I'd want to change it when I at least have 1 Dot left.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Hmm. For $8.79, I'd be loosing money. I can buy all brake fluid I need and have some left over if I go ahead and change it.
If you're doing the job yourself, so that the only cost is that of the brake fluid, then just change it at least once every three years and don't bother with testing it.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
If you're doing the job yourself, so that the only cost is that of the brake fluid, then just change it at least once every three years and don't bother with testing it.
If I did that, I could be wasting Dots. :p

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got a huge new bottle of Pentosin DOT4 LV for my 3 series that I think I’ll also use in the Pilot and maybe the Lexus. Little on the fence on the Lexus since everything on it is about 20 years old.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I got a huge new bottle of Pentosin DOT4 LV for my 3 series that I think I’ll also use in the Pilot and maybe the Lexus. Little on the fence on the Lexus since everything on it is about 20 years old.
I just checked FCP Euro. Looks like the X5 is specd for Dot 4 or 5.1? Whats the difference? I will have to do a brake job on it in the next 6 months, rotors included. I still see no need to pay for Dot 4 in my Honda's or All my other vehicles. I bought a 12oz bottle of Dot 3 at the Grocery store for $1.98. 😁

1 - 20 of 43 Posts