Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted before, I just received my Honda Roof Top Bike Attachment and installed it today. Installation is a breeze, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most difficult, it's a 2. That is of course if your factory crossbars are already installed, if not, you'll have to go through the much more difficult process of installing them first. Total installation time was 25 minutes. Here are photos after the install ... last note the Honda attachment is made by Thule a variant of the the THULE BIG MOUTH (599xt) with slight modifications to mount to the HONDA CROSSBARS. It comes with the lock cylinders, which you have to buy separately with the THULEs, so all in all a little more economical and instead of saying THULE on the side it says HONDA.

Factory Photo: Reference Base

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My photos: From the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the side ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Up close.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made By THULE ...

PrG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way ... I used a step ladder set to the side of the PILOT in order to work on the top ... It made the work very easy ... I plan I looking for a cheap 3-4 step ladder to keep in the back to load the bike on the roof ... The bike is in the shop right now, getting some components swapped out ... Once I get it back I'll mount some pics with the bike on top.

PrG

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bicycle Mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couple of Notes:

1. Watch for low overhangs ... Almost took the bike out after riding this morning trying to get an ice cream cone a McDonalds. The drive through overhangs are low ...

2. Very stable, it will sway with the car as it goes over bumps but is very secure.

3. The bike racks do have a little noticeable wind noise, none when the bike is mounted.

4. I ride oversize 26" rims and tires ... I had to deflate the tires halfway in order for the wheel straps to go over the rim and strap down securely.

5. Took 3 of us to put the bike up, but it can be done carefully with one or two ... I used a ladder and got the bike off myself.

PrG

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Roof Racks

Nice pictures and description, but if it takes all that work to put the bike on the roof then it looks like a losing proposition to me.

Why not a hitch rack? No wind noise, no mounting problem, doesn't take three people to use it.

EJ

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well ...

I didn't say it takes three to put it up ... but three of us went riding and we helped each other out. Three of us put the bikes up on a friends hitch mounted bike rack too ...

Whichever racks work for you ... personal preference deems the right bike rack for you. I prefer the roof for appearance, added security, additional space saved.

The bikes can be loaded with one person ... with any of the bike racks, care is needed; having extra people to help cuts down time and worries.

PrG

·
Registered
26 Posts
removal?

PRG,
I too got the roof mount bike rack (installed at dealership), but I wanted to take it off until Spring, because I don't want it to start rusting or become damaged by being exposed to the elements year-round. We are due for about 6" of snow tonight so I removed the bike rack off the rack, but can't seem to get the 3 square bolts out of the recessed area on the rack. Any suggestions? Is this bike rack designed to be on year-round? If so, I'll just put it back up and forget about it...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Off Subject

What happened to your nose mask? I never did see a pic of it installed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: removal?

is95aus said:
PRG,
I too got the roof mount bike rack (installed at dealership), but I wanted to take it off until Spring, because I don't want it to start rusting or become damaged by being exposed to the elements year-round. We are due for about 6" of snow tonight so I removed the bike rack off the rack, but can't seem to get the 3 square bolts out of the recessed area on the rack. Any suggestions? Is this bike rack designed to be on year-round? If so, I'll just put it back up and forget about it...

I would guess that if unused and left on through the winter, the rack will weather and show wear ... The racks probably will not likely rust but dirt, grime, salt, etc, etc, will weather it and hinder its functionality.

As for the three recessed bolts. In order to take them out you will have to remove the crossbars. This is pretty easy. The crossbars are held in placed by 4 Torx Bolts that can be unscrewed with standard hex keys. Not sure of the size off the top of my head, but I think 6mm. The bolds are located in the round recessed areas at the end of each crossbar where it mounts to the rails. Once unscrewed, pull the bars off. Ensure that the washers for the bolts don't fall out and are removed so you won't lose them. Remove the end cap from each crossbar with a, I think, 4mm hex key, and slide the Bike Rack Mount Bolts right out. Before the racks were mounted the groove of the crossbars were lined with a rubber strip that was pulled out to mount the racks. Put the rubber strips back in to cover the groove of the crossbar. Then, just reverse the steps and re-install your crossbars.

If you don't have those rubber strips, I'd go to the dealer and get them back. It would be futile to remove the crossbars and take the bolts out if you're not going to cover the groove. If you opt to leave the bolts in, get some grease and put a light coat of lube on them. You should be fine through the winter.

PrG

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for getting back to me PRG...Actually, on mine the screws in the circle recessed area are not hex but rather they look like they could be opened with a star key. Should the dealer have suppled that? Also, I was very reluctant to remove the crossbars due to all the reports of them being a nightmare to install. Are you sure its a simple process? Just don't want to screw it up and have to go back to the dealer to have them fix it...Thanks! Oh by the way, the Pilot does awesome in the snow!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No the hex keys will fit in the star pattern .... No need to buy any new tools ...

The crossbars are difficult to install, not because of the crossbars, but because of getting the little platforms that the crossbars mount on onto the rails. The difficulty is in getting the end caps off the rails in order to slide the platforms on. The crossbars bolt onto these. Just unscrew the four screws and lift the crossbars off.

PrG

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh by the way ... thanks for the update on the snow ...

Although in Hawaii, I'm actually a Northern Virginian, and was concerned about the snow you all got.

PrG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts