Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm patiently waiting for my NHB EX-L to arrive, I'm trying to decide what to do about a bike rack. I've read plenty of opinions here about the various hitch-mounted bike racks available but I couldn't find any feedback on the Honda Pilot Bike Attachment.

Does anyone have one of these? What do you think?

I have two bikes that I'd like to occasionally transport. I don't plan on towing anything in the near future so I've narrowed my options down to:

Hitch-mounted bike rack: $199 for the hitch, $130-$400 for the bike rack.

Honda Bike Attachment: $130

I can see where the hitch-mounted bike rack would be more convenient but if I'm only carrying two bikes and even then, not too often, would the Honda rack do the job?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
kman said:
While I'm patiently waiting for my NHB EX-L to arrive, I'm trying to decide what to do about a bike rack. I've read plenty of opinions here about the various hitch-mounted bike racks available but I couldn't find any feedback on the Honda Pilot Bike Attachment.

Does anyone have one of these? What do you think?

I have two bikes that I'd like to occasionally transport. I don't plan on towing anything in the near future so I've narrowed my options down to:

Hitch-mounted bike rack: $199 for the hitch, $130-$400 for the bike rack.

Honda Bike Attachment: $130

I can see where the hitch-mounted bike rack would be more convenient but if I'm only carrying two bikes and even then, not too often, would the Honda rack do the job?

Thanks in advance.
We have the Honda hitch-mounted bike rack. We haven't worked up the courage to put it on the Pilot yet. It's been minding its own business locked in its cardboard box. Perhaps this w/end (that's what I always say! :D ). We have 2 adult bikes to transport and 2 kiddy bikes. Occasionally. Very, very occasionally. Well, not too often...We had thought of the roof rack ones - but it's too difficult to get them on and off.

We'll let you know when we assemble & use the rack.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a little more poking around the internet and according to this site, I'll need the cross bars to use the Honda roof mount bike attachment. So that changes my costs to:

Honda Bike Attachment: $130 for the attachment, $134 for the cross bars.
Hitch-mounted bike rack: $199 for the hitch, $130-$400 for the bike rack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
kman said:
I did a little more poking around the internet and according to this site, I'll need the cross bars to use the Honda roof mount bike attachment. So that changes my costs to:

That was another reason we did not go for the roof mounted one. The $$ that those 2 little bars cost! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
kman said:
I did a little more poking around the internet and according to this site, I'll need the cross bars to use the Honda roof mount bike attachment. So that changes my costs to:

Honda Bike Attachment: $130 for the attachment, $134 for the cross bars.
Hitch-mounted bike rack: $199 for the hitch, $130-$400 for the bike rack.
2 reasons:

1) Ever let a bike slip while putting it on the roof?

2) An SUV without a trailer hitch is called a station wagon :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
N_Jay said:


[ S N I P P E D ]

2) An SUV without a trailer hitch is called a station wagon :2:
So... is the converse true? If a station wagon has a trailer hitch, is it called an SUV??? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
kemosabe said:


So... is the converse true? If a station wagon has a trailer hitch, is it called an SUV??? :p
No, why would you ask? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Search sister site...

There is an exclellent post on acuramdx.org about securing bikes in the cargo area.

Apparently the bike attachemnt thingy from Honda/Acura is kinda flimsy. You are better off getting the attachment device from Yakima (or maybe Thule). You can also make a small mounting board and get maximum ultility and not have to mount anything in an removable way to the cargo storage lid.

Good Luck!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top