Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this tv ad for the Pilot yet, but Honda has been flooding the airwaves with ads for both the Accord and the MDX which, if you think about it, are really dumb.

The ad goes something like this: "Behind them is the great shortcut they heard about that is supposed to get them around the highway that's always backed up. In front of them is that highway. But right now, everything is great." This is a commercial that is supposed to be showing how great the NAV system is? It sounds like the NAV system failed these people miserably and they don't know that they aren't where they think they are! "Look at these people - they have our car with the great Nav system and they're completely lost!"

Does anyone else find this not only ironic in the extreme, but completely idiotic? What were they thinking?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
actually there are only acura ads and I like them.

They have nothing to do with NAV systems but the bottom line is that there are troubles behind and in front but as long as tehy are driving the acura they will forget the troubles/problems etc.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
ramirami said:

They have nothing to do with NAV systems but the bottom line is that there are troubles behind and in front but as long as tehy are driving the acura they will forget the troubles/problems etc.
I agree. I was left with the feeling that whatever's swirling around you, there's safety/relaxation/luxury etc. in an Acura. The ad's not selling any feature, it's portraying a mood, which I thought was effective.

·
Registered
608 Posts
i like the Acura TSX ads :D

:roadtrip:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ramirami said:

I know that's the point of the ad, but in every one that I've seen, while the people drive along blissfully lost, the voice-over makes a point of the "available (voice activated) Navigation system" and the video focuses on the Nav in the dash. It is the primary feature mentioned in the ad. And I'm pretty sure I've seen these same ads for the Accord.

If they wanted to show that the car makes you forget your troubles, fine. But they should have done so in a car not equipped with nav if the people in the ad were supposed to be obviously lost.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Bill Balmer said:
And I'm pretty sure I've seen these same ads for the Accord.

no...accords got a sexy cop handing out her phone number.....

why dont I ever see cops like that....va va vooom:D :D

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ramirami said:
no...accords got a sexy cop handing out her phone number.....

why dont I ever see cops like that....va va vooom:D :D
Come on Rami, you think they can only have one commercial per car? :confused:

Anyway, I saw the MDX ad again last night and paid special attention. It went like this:

blah, blah, blah... "That highway (with the traffic jam) is ahead of them. But right now, with an open road, a full tank, and Acura's available voice activated navigation system (shows nav), everything is perfect."

The nav is the ONLY feature that is mentioned in the ad. They make very clear that this particular vehicle is equipped with that feature, and the whole premise of the "story" in the commercial is that they are lost. I still say it's a very stupid ad.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Bill Balmer said:
Come on Rami, you think they can only have one commercial per car? :confused:

Anyway, I saw the MDX ad again last night and paid special attention. It went like this:

blah, blah, blah... "That highway (with the traffic jam) is ahead of them. But right now, with an open road, a full tank, and Acura's available voice activated navigation system (shows nav), everything is perfect."

The nav is the ONLY feature that is mentioned in the ad. They make very clear that this particular vehicle is equipped with that feature, and the whole premise of the "story" in the commercial is that they are lost. I still say it's a very stupid ad.
Isn't perception a wonderful thing?

Are they blissfully lost, or are they blissfully enjoying an alternate route?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Bill Balmer said:
.....And I'm pretty sure I've seen these same ads for the Accord.

Yep, I've seen the Accord one also, with the red coupe. I wish they'd show off the Accord Sedan more, it's a beautiful thing. I suppose they don't need to, with the demand for it.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Bill Balmer said:
Come on Rami, you think they can only have one commercial per car? :confused: .
I know I know....I just wanted to mention the sexy cop ;) ;)

yes the MDX shows them taking alternative routes so guess the NAVI comes in the picture....

but remember the integra one..

the guy has a cramped studio and a small office cube to go to but right now he is in the acura so is happy (or whatever!!!)...that gives me the impression that they are trying to put forward the idea that a ride in the acura will make you forget your problems.

THe TL has the couple driving from the Fgg of san francisco to the crouds of mount rushmore....but right now they are happy in a TL (whatever!!!)...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Only ad I've seen with the Pilot in is the general Honda Commerical which shows everything they make from snow blowers to NSX's. And even then it's only a quick shot of a Pilot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts