Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am amazed! I went to have the SRS recall done, and figured I'd better mention the uneven paint while I had her in.
To my surprise, the guys at the desk immediately sent the service manager to look at my Pilot. After I sat for about an hour and a half they sent me on my way, but only mentioned the paint after I asked "SO....did anyone get a chance to look at the paint?" They guy told me "OH, yes! It's actually a paint DEFECT. It's very rare." I told him about 30% of the honda piloteers here have it and he was surprised at the number.

Good news: they acknowledged the problem, and are aware that it's a defect.
They will send it to a trusted shop in the area, and keep your Pilot for 3-5 days. (EEK!) They will inspect the entire car and repaint the entire piece affected, not just an area of it.

Bad news: Honda won't pay for your rental car. That's crap! I have 3 kids!

Anyway, thought you'd all like an update. I'm going to go for it, unpainted is unprotected, so I'm going for it. I will post before and after photos once it's done.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
wow...thats cool....but they have to pay for rental...try contacting BBB etc if honda has acnowleded the fault they better pay!!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YAY?

I thought it was cool too, except for the rental part. I really expected a "Well, we couldn't see what you were talking about" sort of reaction. But they actually are trying to fix it, so I'm happy so far. Now I'm afraid of the non-factory paint being the wrong tint, and even more obvious. Also afraid that it will look like a pile of poo in a few years. scary. Is this when I unload my bad paint pilot on some unsuspecting person for a new midnight blue one? :D ;)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: YAY?

74PILOTMOM said:
...snip

Is this when I unload my bad paint pilot on some unsuspecting person for a new midnight blue one? :D ;)
That RedRock I test drove is looking better all the time. :D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: YAY?

74PILOTMOM said:
[ S N I P P E D ]
Is this when I unload my bad paint pilot on some unsuspecting person for a new midnight blue one? :D ;)
Nah, don't do that -- they don't make the Maisto diecast model in Midnight Blue Pearl, yet... :p :D :)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: YAY?

kemosabe said:
Nah, don't do that -- they don't make the Maisto diecast model in Midnight Blue Pearl, yet... :p :D :)
Oh man, kemo, you're right. I actually broke down yesterday and took the one I keep at work out of the display box to show some co-workers how the "Power Racer" gets its power.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh that's right. Where's my brain!?:D Gotta have a mini me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Told you we should have went with the Black!

·
Registered
260 Posts
ramirami said:
wow...thats cool....but they have to pay for rental...try contacting BBB etc if honda has acnowleded the fault they better pay!!!
What do you base THAT on? Sometimes rentals are covered as a goodwill gesture. It sure isn't REQUIRED under most warranties.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
-snip-

Good news: they acknowledged the problem, and are aware that it's a defect.
They will send it to a trusted shop in the area, and keep your Pilot for 3-5 days. (EEK!) They will inspect the entire car and repaint the entire piece affected, not just an area of it.

Bad news: Honda won't pay for your rental car. That's crap! I have 3 kids!

-more snip-
That is good news and I hope the shop is a good one and pay close attention to "break lines" when repainting ONLY sections of your Pilot. When Mrs. Colorider had her Sebring (silver) repaired/repainted after getting caught in hail, they repainted the entire vehicle ('cept for the top of course :) ) and it turned out GREAT!!

Also, I'm very surprised that Honda would not pay for a rental if it is an acknowledged defect. :confused:

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
next step?

Does anyone know if I will need a honda rep to check out the work? This sucks. I'd rather drive to Alliston to get a factory job done ( a good one this time) not that it's an actual option. Anyway you look at it, this defect makes me have a "lesser" pilot that I paid good money for on blind faith. Shame on me!

Should I contact American Honda? Might they contact me? They have to pay for it, maybe they'll want to be sure it's up to their standards.

And as for you PILOTDAD, you know it would be brown all the time as often as we get out and wash her. But yes, black looks GORGEOUS, and a little sinister:22: at the same time.
And to think, I chose silver for it's great paint that doesn't show anything. I didn't know I was signing for a Dalmation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had my hood repainted for the same reason.... It came out better than the factory paint! I'm happy...No loaner but at least Honda took care of the problem.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
FWIW

I don't know how bad the blotchy paint problem is, but don't dismiss the possibility of just living with it. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Unless it's real bad (and I mean REAL BAD), I would be reluctant to have it repainted by the dealer. I had the hood of my previous car repainted by the dealer when it was a few months old. I still have the 1991 Taurus and the hood is now the worst looking part of the car. There are shops that can do a paint job that's as good as a factory job, but the dealer isn't going to send the car to one of those places. They just want to get you off their backs as cheaply as possible and any quick paint job will look good for a year or two.

A lousy factory paint job will hold up better than almost any shop job.

JMHO

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Starlight Silver EX-L should be here in about 2 weeks. What are the chances that mine will have the defects? Hoped Honda would have this problem corrected by now. I told my wife we need to go over it very carefully when it arrives but not sure what to look for.

·
Registered
496 Posts
driver said:
My Starlight Silver EX-L should be here in about 2 weeks. What are the chances that mine will have the defects? Hoped Honda would have this problem corrected by now. I told my wife we need to go over it very carefully when it arrives but not sure what to look for.
I don't know what to look for, but I picked mine up last Friday and didn't notice any paint defects (other than a scratch the dealer made, but they replaced the whole part they scratched (spoiler)).

kad

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: FWIW

krygny said:
I don't know how bad the blotchy paint problem is, but don't dismiss the possibility of just living with it. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Unless it's real bad (and I mean REAL BAD), I would be reluctant to have it repainted by the dealer. I had the hood of my previous car repainted by the dealer when it was a few months old. I still have the 1991 Taurus and the hood is now the worst looking part of the car. There are shops that can do a paint job that's as good as a factory job, but the dealer isn't going to send the car to one of those places. They just want to get you off their backs as cheaply as possible and any quick paint job will look good for a year or two.

A lousy factory paint job will hold up better than almost any shop job.

JMHO
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. It is bad, people have noticed it without me saying anything, and it isn't just the hood, although that's what bothers me most. That and the fact that it'll won't be EXACT and I will notice it, no matter how slight.
Thanks for your input, validating my feelings. I guess I'll have to research the shops they plan to use.

BMWRT That is good to hear. How close is the match? Is the clear coat more or less glossy than the factory? We had a civic painted and the whole door is dull. If my Pilot winds up like that, ugh I don't want to think about it.

driver I'm willing to bet that since Honda acknowledges this, they are inspecting them more closely. My guess is that I got a faulty robot sprayer. It looks like it just didn't get enough paint.
Don't worry, but do inspect it in the bright sun, and look from all angles. Do a slow walk by and see if there are any shady looking spots. I doubt you'll have the problem, though. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info, Pilot Mom.

Is this a problem that is more prevalent on the 2003 models compared to the 2004 models? Does anyone know whether Honda appeared to have corrected this problem before the 2004s were rolled out?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Link to the photo

74PILOTMOM said:
This page has the photo of my hood:

Silver hood paint
Wow, thats really noticeable, even from a picture, at least its not just 1 of the doors, I'd be concerned if they were only going to paint a panel like the drivers door, then you would have to be really concerned about the checker board effect.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts