Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successful programmed their HomeLink unit to a "rolling code" opener? Any tips?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes I got mine to work, here is what I did:

1: look on your opener (unit on roof of garage) itself find a "learn button". Mine was a red button hidden above 1 of the lights. I had to snap off the light covers to get to it.

Easier with 2 people
2. push the "learn" button and then hold the button on your home-link you want your garage door to be. Once it starts blinking fast it should be all set.

The directions in the manual make it sound more complicated than it actually was.

Hope this Helps

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
did anyone get the homelink to work with their security system? Do I need to call the security folks to make it work ....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PaulV7: Thanks. You are so right about the manual. It made it sound like a major undertaking :13: I will give your directions a try.

·
Registered
204 Posts
PaulV7 said:
Yes I got mine to work, here is what I did:

1: look on your opener (unit on roof of garage) itself find a "learn button". Mine was a red button hidden above 1 of the lights. I had to snap off the light covers to get to it.

Easier with 2 people
2. push the "learn" button and then hold the button on your home-link you want your garage door to be. Once it starts blinking fast it should be all set.

The directions in the manual make it sound more complicated than it actually was.

Hope this Helps
I did it alone by parking the Pilot in such a way that the drivers side door was just under the opener. And, as PaulV7 suggested, using the directions in the manual, the switch/key on the garage door opener may not be labelled in the same way the manual refers to it.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had to make the Pilot learn from an existing remote control first and then use the learn button on the garage door opener.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Brew said:
I had to make the Pilot learn from an existing remote control first and then use the learn button on the garage door opener.
This is how I have done each of mine. Some vehicle/opener combinations will even allow you to set all THREE buttons for the same opener - so that is does not matter which button you happen to hit. When I tried to set my daughter's minivan/opener for her, it would not work though.

YMMV

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got my homelink to work with my x10 devices. It is kind of nice when the wife comes home to a dark house she can turn the living room lights on from the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Homelink, security systems, and X-10

Homelink sells an X-10 vehicle interface, which can control an X-10 device. The X-10 device can be something like a lamp module, for light control, or it can be something like an X-10 universal controller, which you can use to control a zone on the security system.

If your security system has an X-10 interface, it's even easier. On our system, when the entry delay is triggered by opening either the front or garage doors, the security system turns on several X-10 controlled lights, both interior and exterior.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Homelink worked fine for my Sears garage door opener. Parked inside garage, under the door opener unit, popped open the side access panel, pressed the red button and then held down one of the Pilot buttons until it blinked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great tool. I was able to use the remote control to set the Homelink by holding it next the device in the Pilot. Works better than either of my two remotes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks PaulV7. Mission accomplished. Homelink up and running :2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice GonnaBe1, glad you got it working now you never have to worry about the darn battery in the remote opener dieing again :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
PaulV7 said:
Nice GonnaBe1, glad you got it working now you never have to worry about the darn battery in the remote opener dieing again :D
My wife regularly complained about the old remotes that we have for our garage door. Often, hers would not work even right in front of the door.

Now with the HomeLink on the Pilot, she can open the door from 100 yards away. One of the top-10 things she likes about the Pilot (her daily driver; my weekend driver).

Honda Pilot - a $30000 garage door opener

·
Registered
248 Posts
Was working, now it's gone.

Got the homelink to work fine with my new Genie door opener.
The problem comes when I use the opener in my truck, it disables the homelink.
I have a third door opener in the other car that is driven all the time, and it doesn't effect the homelink, only the one in the truck.

My thought is that the truck is only pulled out of the garage once in a great while, while the one in the other car is used daily with the homelink in the Pilot.
Maybe the long lapses with the truck opener do something strange to the rolling code.

I've set it several times only for it to loose it's brains every time I crawl in the truck, so I'm back to using an opener in all the cars.

Any EE's out there who know how the rolling code works?
G.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Don't know how the Genie works, but some rolling code garage doors have to have the remote (i.e., homelink) trained to the actual opener unit. If you train the homelink from the hand-held remote (i.e., make a "clone" of a remote), then the next time you use the hand-held remote or the homelink the other one will be locked out.

In other words, the opener hanging in the garage has to know there are three remotes and be able to work with three remotes. Otherwise, which ever remote is "cloned" from one of the other two will only work once.

When the remote is used it receives a new code from the opener and the other remote (programmed with the same code) becomes obsolete.

Hope this helps...makes sense.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Homelink range?

Has anyone had any problems with the range of their Homelink system?

Here's my situation: My (3 car) garage is under the back of my house. The driveway comes down a hill, then I have to do a 180 to enter my garage. The walls are concrete block.
The original garage door openers work every time from any position from which I can see either the lights come on or the door moving. (I don't know if they work from 150' away).

However, my Homelink on the Pilot seems to only work from 2 positions; either right beside the garage (when headed 180 degrees to entry position; which is by the way right next to a door with glass in it) or right in front of the garage door.

My questions are...
1) Is there any way to increase range?
2) Is Homelink possibly directional? ie. because it's pointing away from the garage at the time of activation, it doesn't work well?
3) If it's directional, is there any workaround?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Homelink range?

fdxav8r said:
Has anyone had any problems with the range of their Homelink system?

Here's my situation: My (3 car) garage is under the back of my house. The driveway comes down a hill, then I have to do a 180 to enter my garage. The walls are concrete block.
The original garage door openers work every time from any position from which I can see either the lights come on or the door moving. (I don't know if they work from 150' away).

However, my Homelink on the Pilot seems to only work from 2 positions; either right beside the garage (when headed 180 degrees to entry position; which is by the way right next to a door with glass in it) or right in front of the garage door.

My questions are...
1) Is there any way to increase range?
2) Is Homelink possibly directional? ie. because it's pointing away from the garage at the time of activation, it doesn't work well?
3) If it's directional, is there any workaround?
Do you have three openers (one for each door) and a button programmed for each? If so, do all perform the same? I have 2-car with a single opener. To make it easier, all 3 buttons are programmed so that is does not matter which button I hit. Mrs. colorider's Sebring is set up the same way. In any case, ours do not appear to be directional. We live on a curve and we can operate the door by at least 2 houses away as we approach ours. Just the other day as I was leaving to run to the store, I decided to close the door AFTER I was heading down the block AWAY from my house and was able to watch it close in my rear-view mirror. BTW, my house is brick - not sure how that would compare to concrete block for affecting the signal. Homelink is (I think) UHF and perhaps one of our sparky experts here can give us an idea of how it should perform with different density materials.

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Re: Homelink range?

colorider said:
Do you have three openers (one for each door) and a button programmed for each? If so, do all perform the same? I have 2-car with a single opener. To make it easier, all 3 buttons are programmed so that is does not matter which button I hit. Mrs. colorider's Sebring is set up the same way.

:)
Yes, I have one door programmed to each button. I guess I can't really say about the others since I don't often use them.
I'll have to enlist the assistance of my wife and do some real range checking from further away; and with the other doors.

Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts