Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many are controlling three devices with HL system? Have anyone experienced trouble programming a Garage door opener with rolling code?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had problems programming the opener the first time, but after reading the manaul again, I was able to get it to work. There is a time frame that you must complete everything in. I think you have to press a button on the opener itself. Then, within 30 seconds or something like that, press the Homelink and opener remote buttons together.
Forgive me for the brief and probably not accurate info, but I do not have the manual in front of me and the wife has the Pilot today! :rolleyes: If you check the manaul or that smaller "manual" (for lack of better term), there should be instructions to follow.

BTW - Welcome to the site! Also, I have only the 1 garage opener programmed into my HL.

Scott

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got both my doors controlled by the Pilot. Works like a charm.

DO follow the programming instructions to the letter though :) You might need to read the instructions of your garage door itself as well, especially if it uses a rolling code.

- Ben

·
Registered
161 Posts
Funny thing happen

:) I do not know how could this happen. When I press HL close, my neightbor garage door open, too. When I press to open, my neightbor door close creating my neighbor ADT alarm on all the time. At first they think it was a fault motor for their garage door, until one Saturday morning when I was working on my Fender Flare then when my little girl click on HL and my neightbor garage door start to open.

Any idea?

SS EX-L RES #35211:p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get a new neighbor?

Otherwise I don't know :) try re-programming your HL. If it's a rolling code deal, maybe it will pick a new sequence that won't interfere with the neighbor.

- Ben

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
change your code

seems to be the easiest thing to do.

·
Registered
263 Posts
X-10 control

Homelink sells an X-10 Vehicle Interface so you can use Homelink to control lighting as well. It's $45 from Homelink, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. I'm considering getting it to control the exterior lights, but my alarm system already switches on a few lights when the garage door opens and triggers the entry delay.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm using my Homelink to turn on an interior light using the Radio Shack (X-10) Wireless Remote Control System ($40) and a plug-in module(~$12). My only complaint is that the Homelink in my Pilot doesn't seem to have the same range as the Homelink in my previous Accord.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I still can't get it to work. I tried fooling with, reading the instructions over and over again for about an hour, and no go. Can anyone post a visual diagram of what your supposed to do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Funny thing happen

haknuman59 said:
:) I do not know how could this happen. When I press HL close, my neightbor garage door open, too. When I press to open, my neightbor door close creating my neighbor ADT alarm on all the time. At first they think it was a fault motor for their garage door, until one Saturday morning when I was working on my Fender Flare then when my little girl click on HL and my neightbor garage door start to open.

Any idea?

SS EX-L RES #35211:p
Your neighbor will probably have to clear his garage door and reprogram his remotes. I had a similar problem with my neighbor (not HL but rolling code remote that came with the opener). No matter what I did with my opener or remote I was always opening/closing his garage door. Once we reset and reprogrammed his remotes everything was fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bret727272, Follow the procedure in the manual or even the quick reference booklet in conjunction with the garage door opener manual. Remember, you only have 30 seconds for the process. I was inside the garage right under the opener when I programmed mine. I did not disconnect the power to the opener as the Pilot directions suggest. The programming switch on the back of my opener does not say "Learn" as per the directions, the switch is labeled "program"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Use All Three

1st for our garage door. 2nd for Grandmas garage door. 3rd for a chamberlain interior light control (bought in 1992). Nice coming home to a lit house.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our garage door opener has a red button on the back. We thought it was going to take the two of us, but it was rather simple.

Pressed the button, then went into the car and pressed the middle until the light was flashing. Now works like a charm.

I do wish those buttons we lit though, its difficult to see them at night.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ours works great. For those that are having problems try programming another button. I never got number 1 to work. But number 3 accepted the programming for my rolling code opener with no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Home Link

I spent an agonizing afternoon trying to program my home link on our old 2001 Odyssey, and in the end I found what worked was a happy medium between the instructions in the Odyssey's Owner's Manual and my Craftsman rolling code opener. I had since forgotten completely what the trick was or how I finally got it to work (including my other openers) when we took delivery of our Pilot. I still managed to program it on the first try, without wiping out my already programmed opener in the other car. Clear the memory in the HL first, than pull the plug on the opener and let HL learn the initial code from an existing remote. Than I plugged the opener back in and pushed the 'program' button on the opener and raced back into the Pilot and held HL in until it was finished. Worked right away, and has been fine since. I found that for HL to work well it needs to be held down longer than the usual single click of a normal remote opener. Hope some of this rambling helps.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've had the same experience with both the Pilot and the Ody. You have to push and hold the button for it to trigger the garage door properly. I wonder if there is some sort of "bump" delay built into HL that prevents it from firing right away if bumped.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Homelink - need help

I have GENIE EXCELERATOR (1/2 hp) with Intellicode. I have not been able to setup homelink as per the owners manual and Homelink website. Am I missing some information? I tried to program it with Learn button on the Genie device but so far unsuccesul. Would someone give some instructions?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Homelink - need help

hondalover said:
I have GENIE EXCELERATOR (1/2 hp) with Intellicode. I have not been able to setup homelink as per the owners manual and Homelink website. Am I missing some information? I tried to program it with Learn button on the Genie device but so far unsuccesul. Would someone give some instructions?
All I can say is that I had trouble the first and second time I tried but the third time was the charm.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Homelink - need help

hondalover said:
It should work if you get the sequence right. Here's a thread with more discussion on the Homelink and it includes links to info on the Genie website. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not all garage door openers are compatible with Homelink. I just installed a new opener and could not get my Homelink to work. I called the manufacturer of the opener, and they said I needed to purchase an optional piece that would interface with the Homelink. This may be the problem some of you are having programing your HL units.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts