Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my neighbors has a Pilot, and I noticed that the rear bumper has four round holes with caps in each hole. Does anyone know why? I don't think I have seen this on any other Pilot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Probably the backup sensors.
You can add that to any Pilot as an accessory.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/pilot/backupsensor.pdf

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
At first, Mr. Z and I wanted to get backup sensors. But when we realized it would require those four holes in the bumper, we sort of nixed the idea.

Wish there was a backup sensor system that didn't require such obvious modifications!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. The car I saw has dealer plates, and is loaded with every conceivable option, right down to the chrome bumper doo-dads. I just couldn't figure out those holes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ziploc said:
At first, Mr. Z and I wanted to get backup sensors. But when we realized it would require those four holes in the bumper, we sort of nixed the idea.

Wish there was a backup sensor system that didn't require such obvious modifications!
The holes don't look that bad. I think they give the bumper "character". You can see them on larger cars, from MB's SL500 to Lexus' LS400 and of course on minivans to suvs.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Bklyn said:

The holes don't look that bad. I think they give the bumper "character". You can see them on larger cars, from MB's SL500 to Lexus' LS400 and of course on minivans to suvs.
That's what I tried to tell my husband, but he wasn't buying it. Now he's gotten me to where I, too, see 'em standing out like a sore thumb.

I guess it's a case where one person's "character" is another person's "blemish."

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ziploc - Vaguely recall seeing something about backup sensors that did not require placement through the bumper cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ziploc said:

That's what I tried to tell my husband, but he wasn't buying it. Now he's gotten me to where I, too, see 'em standing out like a sore thumb.

I guess it's a case where one person's "character" is another person's "blemish."
So why don't you just put your foot down and show him who is the true boss of the house and get them! :D

The sensor is, after all, for safety purposes.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Bklyn said:

So why don't you just put your foot down and show him who is the true boss of the house and get them! :D

The sensor is, after all, for safety purposes.
I think I'll show him this post!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
seadog said:
Ziploc - Vaguely recall seeing something about backup sensors that did not require placement through the bumper cover.
You know, now that you mention it, I think I do, too. When I get a chance, I'll do some searching.......

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been a little surprised that car companies have not come up with a better way to integrate backup sensors into the rear bumper. Every car/suv I've seen with them always looks like they were added as an afterthought.

I predict that in the future some kind of acoustically transparent cover for the bumpers will be developed and the sensors will be invisible. The Navy has used such coverings for sonar domes for decades.

As always, innovation driven by capitalism will produce better products for all of us. Since I've never heard anyone speak positively about the holes, buttons, or, my favorite "bumper acne" I'm sure that eventually manufacturers will come up with something better.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
ChuckW said:
I've been a little surprised that car companies have not come up with a better way to integrate backup sensors into the rear bumper. Every car/suv I've seen with them always looks like they were added as an afterthought.

I predict that in the future some kind of acoustically transparent cover for the bumpers will be developed and the sensors will be invisible. The Navy has used such coverings for sonar domes for decades.

As always, innovation driven by capitalism will produce better products for all of us. Since I've never heard anyone speak positively about the holes, buttons, or, my favorite "bumper acne" I'm sure that eventually manufacturers will come up with something better.
Ha! "Bumper acne" That's pretty funny!!! And, that's exactly how my husband views those tell-tale holes! I do think you're right--it's a matter of time until somebody manufactures an "acoustically transparent cover" for the sensors that avoids the need for holes. Surely it's a case of adapting existing technology!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I think the popularity of these caught the auto companies off guard.
It takes years to get a new technology designed into a car, and these came down the cost curve fairly fast.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
N_Jay said:
I think the popularity of these caught the auto companies off guard.
It takes years to get a new technology designed into a car, and these came down the cost curve fairly fast.
Having these sensors just makes so much safety sense, I'm surprised the notion is kind of a late bloomer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Ziploc said:

Having these sensors just makes so much safety sense, I'm surprised the notion is kind of a late bloomer.
The design cycle of a car is 3 to 5 years. Even the technology advanced MB. BMW, and Lexus are putting these on in an aftermarket style (some are color matched now).

I would guess that 3 to 5 years ago, the predicted cost was sufficiently high, and the perceived "take rate" was sufficiently low to not justify designing them in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts