Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing running boards on my 2013 Honda Pilot EX and I found that the mounting holes on the pilot are not threaded.
Can I just tap them to add threads, or is there an insert required?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
All the factory bracket holes in the tub are already threaded except for the rear one on each side. A new set of Genuine Honda running boards comes with a Nutsert-style threaded insert for those two holes, which you can install using a hack bolt-and-nut-and-two-washers if you don't have the tool. Some have glued a nut onto a washer and slid it into the rail from a nearby larger hole. The bolt size is 8-1.25 IIRC, and you can probably substitute a 5/16" Nutsert in a pinch if you don't have access to the correct 8mm size.

Search the forum some and you'll find more on this. More than a few folks were blindsided by needing that insert put in. You could sometimes talk a dealer service guy into doing it while the car was in for something else. With the correct tool it takes less than a minute per insert to place and set them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the factory bracket holes in the tub are already threaded except for the rear one on each side. A new set of Genuine Honda running boards comes with a Nutsert-style threaded insert for those two holes, which you can install using a hack bolt-and-nut-and-two-washers if you don't have the tool. Some have glued a nut onto a washer and slid it into the rail from a nearby larger hole. The bolt size is 8-1.25 IIRC, and you can probably substitute a 5/16" Nutsert in a pinch if you don't have access to the correct 8mm size.

Search the forum some and you'll find more on this. More than a few folks were blindsided by needing that insert put in. You could sometimes talk a dealer service guy into doing it while the car was in for something else. With the correct tool it takes less than a minute per insert to place and set them.
I know the 6 holes on each side are supposed to be threaded, but they were not! I bought a tapping tool and put threads in the holes and now they are able to take the 8mm bolts. I had a problem with the "rivnut" installation, but I bought a pkg of them, along with a piece of sheet metal and I will do a bit of practicing first.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Wondering if yours were perhaps victims of undercoating or rustproofing? This is the first mention I've heard of the weld-in inserts not being threaded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wondering if yours were perhaps victims of undercoating or rustproofing? This is the first mention I've heard of the weld-in inserts not being threaded.
Now you worry me! There were no weld-in inserts. Just holes in the metal. The holes were thick enough to be tapped and threaded, but NO welded-in inserts.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
This is interesting... I just installed Westin running boards on our '15. There were 5 holes on each side that had threads, but given the vehicles age I had to chase them all to clean the threads. One hole on each side needed a nut to be installed, Westin supplied a "wire nut" instead of a rivnut... basically a nut with a 12" thin rod welded onto it that you fish through the hole in front... I expected it to be a huge PITA to tighten down and position properly but it went pretty smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my case, there were 2 holes (1 on each side) that were two thin to tap, so a rivet nut had to be installed.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
When I say the holes were threaded, I mean there was either a nut welded on top of the sheet metal or something else, there was close to 1/2" of usable threads in those holes. This was not a hole in sheet metal that is tapped... if you did that I'd be concerned with the strength of those threads with people standing on the running boards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to talk to the local Honda Dealer and ask what happened with my unthreaded
holes. There are no welded nuts, or inserts. I just tapped the holes. And I am concerned
with the strength, which is why I first posted. But these holes are designated for running
boards, so why are they not threaded? Makes no sense. Maybe I can get an answer from Honda.
At this poing all I could do is drill the holes out to 7/16" and use rivet nuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts