Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My3kids has fixed her mileage problem!!

As you know, I disconnected the battery last week and did the idle learn in hopes that as a last ditch effort, something would happen. My three tanks before the D/C were 13.01, 13.8, 11.8. This car had been examined by two dealers and has a case manger from Honda related to my complaint of unusual comsumption of fuel. All said the codes were fine and nothing was wrong with the car.

I disconnected the battery and did the idle learn procedure someone wrote about on this forum. My two tanks since I did this reset have been...........(drum roll please!) 17.94 and 19.42 mpg!!!

Did you read that????? Almost 18 and 19.5 miles per gallon. I believe that was the first time I ever saw a 300 on my odometer in my town!!

Now if I can just keep it set where it is, and not back where it was.:4:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Oh my gosh!!! That is wonderful! Time to celebrate. :7:

I sure hope you mileage stays up like that. Your idle must have been set too high. Do you see a noticable difference when parked and idling?

Kinda makes you want to go to the sevice manager and :headslap: him.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is the idle learn procedure??

·
Registered
207 Posts
WOW!!!:eek: That's impressive! I guess we'll need to spread the word.

Too bad the dealer didn't catch it:rolleyes:

-Pete

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
my3kids said:
My3kids has fixed her mileage problem!!

Did you read that????? Almost 18 and 19.5 miles per gallon. I believe that was the first time I ever saw a 300 on my odometer in my town!!

Now if I can just keep it set where it is, and not back where it was.:4:
OMG! This is exciting! I'm the other party here who's complained about consistently low mileage but gotten no help from the service dept. I'd given up on ever seeing 300 roll by on my odometer, whether in town or on the highway!

I'm going to show this thread to Mr. Ziploc...and the two of us will attempt your "cure," My3kids ! Is this a great board, or what?:claphead:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Hold onto your hats!

Ziploc said:
OMG! This is exciting! I'm the other party here who's complained about consistently low mileage but gotten no help from the service dept. I'd given up on ever seeing 300 roll by on my odometer, whether in town or on the highway!

I'm going to show this thread to Mr. Ziploc...and the two of us will attempt your "cure," My3kids ! Is this a great board, or what?:claphead:
Ziploc, I'm glad you saw this thread. I thought of you immediately, and was going to email or PM you if a day or so had passed and it looked like you'd missed it. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I thought to try this: A friend from here PM me to say that he had read of some "code" problems in the case of an MDX. Resetting gained about 2 mpg to his average. Also along the mileage thread, I thought someone mentioned a poor idle could adversly affect mileage. This has been going on for 6 months, so hard to remember all the references. Once a battery is disconnected, all "codes" are erased. They kept saying my codes were fine...so I thought maybe I'd get rid of a stuck bad one and at least give more information. The car had started out getting 22 mpg, then suddenly it nose dived. I knew it was capable of better and that my driving style was not such that it would operate as efficiently as a Hummer.

I know 2 tanks doesn't a long term average make...it might nose dive again next tank. But, it was a dramatic change. If only temporary(which I hope it isn't) at least it gives Honda another thing to have to try to explain.

This is what I did, Ziplock. I started the car and got all electrical things turned off....radio, dome lights, etc. (roll the window down if you will be siting in the car for the procedure)

Then I turned off the car and disconnected the neg. side of the battery for maybe a minute or two(just as everyone here told me how to!) Then reconnected the battery and started the car. I let it run until it reached operating temperature (the fan had to cycle on and off twice..it took a while) Then, I started counting to 10 minutes with my watch, not counting any minutes that the fan was running. Do not touch the gas during any of this. That was all I did.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more possibility is that the weather has turned cooler...the AC is undoubtedly running less often. Could have been a combination of the 2 events. I don't think the AC draws 8 mpg though, so I really think the codes were "bad" somehow. Time will tell....as will others trying this to see what happens in their extreme cases. There seem to be a few Pilots out there that just have very poor fuel economy not seemingly related to driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
my3kids , thanks for the additional information. Not to try to throw any cold water on any of this, but any chance that the odometer may have reverted to kilometers when the battery was disconnected? Just a thought.

Otherwise, this sound like a great experiment. I'll be interested in seeing what your gas mileage is, in future updates - if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sfhondapilot: I don't think it reset the odometer at all because I went to fill it up as soon as I did the disconnect thing and the numbers were right where they had been. I follow it on one of the counters and it didn't reset.

I didn't post it publically after the first tank because it sounded so unbelieveable....but after the second, I wanted to share. I will update again over the next couple of tanks. Maybe it was a combination of a couple of things....maybe it was just my car's time to improve in the mileage dept., maybe the AC is really inefficient(although it was really cold durning that 11.8 tank) I can't explain why it seems to have worked.....Heck, I didn't even know how to d/c the battery until you guys told me.

I think Ziplock will be a good test. Same results?? Then we can definately say we're onto something.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
my3kids , I suspect you're right. I checked the on-line owner's manual and there doesn't seem to be a way to toggle between miles / km - seems to be pretty much determined by whether it is a US or Canadian model.

·
Registered
657 Posts
That's great about your mileage. Quick question though. I installed a cd changer under the seat when I first got my pilot three weeks ago. After the battery was disconnected for a half an hour, I hooked it back up and never did anything about the idle learn procedure. Does this mean that I will get bad gas mileage now or is there just a chance? Should I do the idle learn just in case?

·
Registered
305 Posts
good news.

hey, i knew i recognized yer name. maybe you can update the poor souls on Edmunds about this as well. Some just aren't up to the task of finding an actual useful site like this one.;)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just a thought,

but I am thinking to myself, is there a chance that the predelivery wasn't properly completed and the idle learn procedure wasn't completed? I looked as the predelivery instructions and then looked as the installation instructions for my fog lights with lower trim.

The predelivery instructions state that the idle learn procedure must be performed if the battery is disconnected. The second instruction on the fog light with lower trim installation instructions is "disconnect the negative cable from the battery".

OK, so maybe the predelivery was done correctly but, returning to the dealership a few days later to have the dealer installed options added, I wonder if the idle learn procedure was redone after the battery was reconnected? There is a reminder, once the battery is reconnected, to reset the clock, radio station presets and auto up/down window, but there doesn't appear to be any reminder in the fog light installation instructions to re-perform the idle learn procedure and this forum is replete with tales of inept service department personnel at dealerships. :3:

So, what are the chances the idle learn procedure was redone?

I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
01r1 said:
FWIW, the Idle Learn procedure doesn't just set the idle level, it calibrates several engine management functions, like fuel mixture for one. So, even if your idle speed 'looks' good from the tachometer, the other functions may not be optimized.

-Pete
This might be the question I couldn't answer....why would disconnecting the battery and redoing the IL help poor mileage! If the mixture was too rich, then I'd be burning a lot more fuel than necessary, right??

sfhondapilot: When I mentioned to one of the service managers that I was going to try what I tried, she said she'd never heard of that as a cure for poor mileage. I asked about the IL and she said I didn't need to do anything, the car would take care of that on its own...yet the PDI clearly gives very specific instructions on the timing and throttle position. I just think some of these service places don't have a clue. One I USED to take the Pilot to even admitted they'd never read the book, but they'd take my word for it if I said I needed the VTM4 fluid changed! I'd be virtually assured they didn't do that on your car after the installation...but....Are you having a mileage problem? Seems there are only a few isolated cases of this really really consistantly bad gas mileage. I can't wait to hear how it worked for the Ziplock family....Yoo Hoo Ziplock...are you checking in on the thread??? I can't wait to hear if you found a similar level of success.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
my3kids said:

...but....Are you having a mileage problem?

I've not made any noise about my gas mileage. My previous car, a 1996 Toyota Landcruiser, generally got about 9 mpg in the city. My 1994 Dodge Caravan and 1989 Nissan Maxima both got about 13.5 mpg in the city.

Even my newer cars aren't that great. In city driving, my wife's 325i gets 13-14 mpg and my daughter's Trix gets 18-21mpg (the lower # reflects a lot of parking space circling at the University).

So, against this backdrop, my 12-15 mpg figure for city driving on the Pilot didn't seem unreasonable .... but I will try the idle learn procedure this weekend and post my results (may take a while as the car only gets driven a few days a week).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Compared to the Landcruiser...the Pilot must seem a seldom visitor to the pump.

For comparison sake...I drove a Grand Caravan previously also, and got over 20 mpg...same routes every day. So my drop to 11 or so with the Honda was very surprising. (I knew it would drop from the Caravan, but didn't expect it to drop so far from the fuel comsumption sticker.) Seeing that your mileage remained the same between your Caravan and Pilot makes me even more convinced that something was not right with my car.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts