Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX-L— 2021 Pilot SE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a 2016 hitch can fit on a 2021 pilot??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Different part numbers for the hitch kit but it may be just the lower bumper trim difference.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
The hitch itself should fit.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Obsidian Blue
40 Posts
Is that bumper trim just an add on for the bottom of the factory bumper or is there a tow package type bumper you have to get. My dealer did not ask me if I wanted the trim when I bought my 2019
IMG_4054.JPG
IMG_4055.JPG
IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4057.JPG
. They installed the hitch which comes out at the bottom of the bumper and they screwed the 7 point wiring harness onto the bottom of my bumper. I hate it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is that bumper trim just an add on for the bottom of the factory bumper or is there a tow package type bumper you have to get. My dealer did not ask me if I wanted the trim when I bought my 2019 View attachment 142239 View attachment 142240 View attachment 142241 View attachment 142243 . They installed the hitch which comes out at the bottom of the bumper and they screwed the 7 point wiring harness onto the bottom of my bumper. I hate it.
Ouch that doesnt look slick like the OEM one im waiting little bit i didnt like the aftermarket one and you loosing some clearance too . With the OEM one you would have the lips that came with the hitch and the 7 pin it all came with the bumper lips with the 7pin wire connection look much better imo but it was half of the price for the aftermarket depend which one you like most.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
538 Posts
Is that bumper trim just an add on for the bottom of the factory bumper or is there a tow package type bumper you have to get. My dealer did not ask me if I wanted the trim when I bought my 2019 View attachment 142239 View attachment 142240 View attachment 142241 View attachment 142243 . They installed the hitch which comes out at the bottom of the bumper and they screwed the 7 point wiring harness onto the bottom of my bumper. I hate it.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the dealer pulled a fast one on you.

That's not the factory kit.

Looks like a universal hitch.... check to see if you see any brand name in it.

My assumption would be "Curt" or something, you can check etrailer.com for common brand universal hitches.

Sorry bud. The factory kit would replace that gray plastic trim piece.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
605 Posts
Is that bumper trim just an add on for the bottom of the factory bumper or is there a tow package type bumper you have to get. My dealer did not ask me if I wanted the trim when I bought my 2019. They installed the hitch which comes out at the bottom of the bumper and they screwed the 7 point wiring harness onto the bottom of my bumper. I hate it.
Your dealer gave it to you dry with no KY. Find your receipts and what you paid for and then have them correct it. Did you also ask for the transmission cooler? Did they install it?

Search and read on here about the transmission cooler especially if you are actually towing. Just for bikes etc maybe you don't need or want it. Mine and many here on Piloteers is yes, you should get the tranny cooler.

Update your profile also with model trim level details.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,135 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think the dealer pulled a fast one on you.

That's not the factory kit.

Looks like a universal hitch.... check to see if you see any brand name in it.

My assumption would be "Curt" or something, you can check etrailer.com for common brand universal hitches.

Sorry bud. The factory kit would replace that gray plastic trim piece.

On my 2015, I know, different Gen all together-
The factory installed hitch is hidden behind the plastic trim piece you have to remove by turning two tabs by hand and snapping it off to expose the hitch.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You could probably take the 2 hour ride to Bernardi parts in Natick and pick up the hitch then pending your skill level install it yourself. Well documented here on the forum how to do it. Bernardi trailer hitch. Yes it's a bit more expensive but worth it for looks and no loss of clearance IMO.

Otherwise have your dealer install it like they should have.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Obsidian Blue
40 Posts
View attachment 142249

The factory installed hitch is hidden behind the plastic trim piece you have to remove by turning two tabs by hand and snapping it off to expose the hitch.
That's what I wanted!!
View attachment 142249

You could probably take the 2 hour ride to Bernardi parts in Natick and pick up the hitch then pending your skill level install it yourself. Well documented here on the forum how to do it. Bernardi trailer hitch. Yes it's a bit more expensive but worth it for looks and no loss of clearance IMO.

Otherwise have your dealer install it like they should have.
$304.72 does that include the bumper trim? I guess the dealer did hose me. I am towing 3,000 pounds utility trailer. I do not think they installed the transmission cooler. there are closer Honda dealers. do only certain ones sell these? One more question, would the bumper I see in your photos replace mine and the harness they screwed to it? Not sure what the labor on that would be, but might be worth an hour or 2 to get it done right. I am handy, but body panel trim can be tricky.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,558 Posts
Depending on what you are towing there might be call for concern. This is how the Class III OEM Honda trailer hitch should look.

Honda does make a class II OEM hitch that looks like this when installed. It is not recommended for the Pilot but it will fit the Pilot.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's what I wanted!!

$304.72 does that include the bumper trim? I guess the dealer did hose me. I am towing 3,000 pounds utility trailer. I do not think they installed the transmission cooler. there are closer Honda dealers. do only certain ones sell these? One more question, would the bumper I see in your photos replace mine and the harness they screwed to it? Not sure what the labor on that would be, but might be worth an hour or 2 to get it done right. I am handy, but body panel trim can be tricky.
Barnardi Honda and College Hills Honda are 2 of the known cheaper parts suppliers, even including shipping. All dealers "should" be able to get the correct parts. My local dealer wanted almost 2x the price and would not match, some dealers will. Another dealer not far away matched price + shipping, but I still had to pay tax. That was still a lot cheaper than the one I bought the Pilot from.

That center trim piece is included with the factory one listed. It looks like the first picture from Daltongang but it is black, not silver. Lots of threads with the install and details here on the forum. The factory wire harness is about $150 I think and comes with all fuses, mounting pieces etc, but you could use what you have. The factory one is set so you can hook up electric brake inside with just plugs also with whatever unit you might buy. The cooler also is made for all factory hook ups/bolts if you have the 6 speed for about $150, 9 speed cooler is more money. Aftermarket is an option and possibly cheaper. I like the factory for instructions and factory mount points.

If you paid your dealer for a FACTORY hitch (and maybe cooler) I would DAMN sure be at the dealer asking for some higher level people and otherwise file with BBB and a complaint with Honda Corporate. If you paid for something less well then all for you to decide how to proceed.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
538 Posts
That's what I wanted!!

If you have a '19, it'll look like what Daltongang posted.

There are plenty of hitch threads with pictures and tips.

Todd posted a '15 which is the previous body style and different hitch setup.

When you're ready share your dealer story... I hope they didn't bill you for the OEM Honda hitch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts