Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....so I know there are TONS of threads on WHD and hitch weight. I've read them all :) I'm more so curious of what I found on a VIN decoder. See the screen shot below. The dead weight and WDH weights are per the manual...4500lbs (2013 AWD). But catch the WDH tongue weight....675lbs??? Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
The idea for the WDH is to transfer weight to the front wheels. In doing that, we shouldn't expect the weight on the hitch not to increase too. Obviously this is a problem exceeding the 500Lb hitch limit.
All I can say is poor Pilot.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Maybe someone else will have something to add.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know WDH won't decrease the hitch weight, that will remain that same, it just helps to redistribute the weight back to the trailer axle and the front axle of the TV. But I also read that, while the Pilot has a Class III hitch, that some are weight carrying and some are rated for weight distribution. So I guess it's really about confirming which style hitch is used from the factory on the Pilot.

But I know there are plenty of others that are WAY more knowledgeable about towing then myself. Hopefully other will chime in if they know.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
There's not going to be anyone on the forum that will say it's ok to exceed the max tongue weight recommendation for a Pilot, with or without WDH. If someone insists on pulling 4500 lbs with their Pilot, I'd leave the weight on the trailer wheels. 450 lbs resting on the hitch is already insanely heavy for s Pilot. I'd buy a real truck with greater towing capacity.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Weight it weight, it doesn't change with a WDH. 5000 lbs is 5000lbs whether it rests on one axel, two axels or 10 axels, it is still 5000 lbs. As stated a WDH simply changes the balance point for the weight. The idea that it redistributes the weight is not really correct. To redistribute the weight you have to physically move the weight around.

The WDH tries to put more weight on the front axel of the vehicle. To accomplish this the WDH changes the balance point of the trailer back. To take weight off of the rear axel of the vehicle and shit the vehicle weight more to the front the balance point changes putting more weight on the trailer axel or axels. Twin axel trailers equipped with a WDH will generally wear out the rear axel/rear axel bearings sooner than the front axel.

The vehicle however is still pulling the same 5000 lbs of dead weight.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am no expert on towing something big with a Pilot. I have a full size truck for that. When a similar discussion on this topic came up several weeks ago someone mentioned that WDH was not recommended for a Pilot. I do know that a WDH can help tow safely as long as you stay within the capacity of the vehicle and have trailer brakes. So, I looked it up myself. I looked at the online Honda Owners manual and, sure enough, Honda does not recommend it. Page 336 below

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/ZA1313/ZA1313OM.PDF

But, whether or not a Class III hitch can be used with a WDH or not is really up to the hitch manufacturer. That is where I would check if I were wanting to know. My assumption is, since they say not to, you should not do it. However, I am sure that you can do it. Personally, I never thought that the Honda transmissions were robust enough for extensive towing. I have pulled a few small trailers and a boat with mine but never really felt good pulling anything bigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had a 4400 lb TT and a WDH. There was some sag and towing was sluggish. We sold it a year later because it just seemed to be too much. We are looking for a newer, lighter trailer. A new, potential dealer said the problem we had was not the trailer but the brand of WDH (they use an eaz-lift recurve r3) and set-up. We really like the Coachman Freedom Express 192RBS. It has a weight of 4424 lbs and a hitch weight of 638 lbs. We have been advised that this won't be a problem for our 2017 Pilot Touring (with transmission cooler and brake controller). Can we do this or is this just a sales pitch?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
We have been advised that this won't be a problem for our 2017 Pilot Touring (with transmission cooler and brake controller). Can we do this or is this just a sales pitch?
After the sales pitch it still going to be your trans and your problem. Honda trans have a rep for not being very robust so my recommendation is to be conservative with the max numbers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After the sales pitch it still going to be your trans and your problem. Honda trans have a rep for not being very robust so my recommendation is to be conservative with the max numbers.
Very helpful. Thank you. I am always wary of sales people! I would feel more comfortable just getting a lighter travel trailer and your comment re-affirmed that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts