Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I went with 245/70 r17 tires when I upgraded recently on my 2003 Honda Pilot. Bought 5 and keep one under the chassis as a spare and it fit fine until I installed a hitch. I noticed the hitch mounts in the middle and then extends forward, towards the front of the car into the storage spot for the spare by about an inch or two, just enough to make it so my spare no longer fits. Any one have any suggestions for a hitch that will mount flush to the middle mount where the hitch actually is so I can keep my spare under there? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Hi all, I went with 245/70 r17 tires when I upgraded recently on my 2003 Honda Pilot. Bought 5 and keep one under the chassis as a spare and it fit fine until I installed a hitch. I noticed the hitch mounts in the middle and then extends forward, towards the front of the car into the storage spot for the spare by about an inch or two, just enough to make it so my spare no longer fits. Any one have any suggestions for a hitch that will mount flush to the middle mount where the hitch actually is so I can keep my spare under there? Thanks!
OEM hitch?
The OEM hitch is said to be more accommodating. But this is a slightly larger diameter tire your using.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is it hitting the rear differential? I have a hitch on my 2007 pilot and recently switched from the donut to a full sized stock spare and noticed that due to the hitch, the spare must be installed tilted. I posted here. There’s clearance everywhere with 235/70/16.

I ran 245/65/17 for a short while, and they are definitely bigger. You are even taller than that with 245/70/17. So that’s a significant increase in size. You’ve kind of gone off the ranch going that far from stock IMO. 245/65/17 is stock for my ridgeline and new versions of the general grabber 245/70/17 I’m running rub up front when turning, and that’s on a truck made for bigger wheels than the pilot.

Time for a roof rack spare I’m thinking. Keep the original donut underneath for in case you get into real trouble.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can look into an OEM hitch. I realize I am punching things a bit with the bigger tires, hoping to get a lift put in at some point but haven’t had any issues with rubbing, not even snow packing into the wheel well which is what some said might be an issue. I went bigger because several forums I read did it was possible so I thought why not. I didn’t have any issues with a spare this size in the under storage and it seems clear that if the hitch would just be flush with where it’s mounted in the middle I wouldn’t have any issues either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts