Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a hitch kit from the dealer and tt the tech that has done the installs for the Pilots. He told me that 1 of 10 hitches need to be sent back because the holes do not line up. Of course, we already knew this from previous threads.

However, we now seem to have pin clip issue. It seems as though some people's hitch pin holes have been too close to the hitch itself. Thus making it impossible to properly insert and remove the locking chip.

Those of you that have self installed your hitches, please let me know if you have experienced either of these issues.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
??

How close is too close?
I have not put anything on the hitch yet, but I did notice that the hole for the pin is very close (guessing 1/8 to 3/16 inch from the reinforcing band.
I will measure it tomight.
All my mounting holes lined up very well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ??

N_Jay said:
How close is too close?
I have not put anything on the hitch yet, but I did notice that the hole for the pin is very close (guessing 1/8 to 3/16 inch from the reinforcing band.
I will measure it tomight.
All my mounting holes lined up very well.
N Jay,

Please do take a look tonight. If indeed there is only 1/8 in. of space for your clip to slide in and out, you might have a tough time doing so. Try to lock and unlock it a few times and let us know what happens...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a problem with my hitch, as documented in this
thread.

I don't know if my hitch pin was good or bad, I replaced it with a locking hitch pin. If that had been a problem, a replacement pin can be had anywhere for a couple of bucks.

Kit

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
3/16 Inch and works fine

The space is 3/16 inch.
It fits my lock fine. I did not try the pin as I always use the lock.
The lock is the typical Fulton/Reese lock.
A chrome bar bent at one end that fits into a rectangular lock at the other end.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can I get a locking pin???

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Locking Hitch Pin

Walmart, Auto Parts stores, Hardware stores, RV centers, etc.
Almost any place that sells any towing suppies at all

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just a note about locking hitch pins that might interest you all. We moved from Atlanta to Charlotte a couple years back. We moved little by little until we had the house sold, then we had movers move what was left. One of the things left behind was the boat. On our final trip to sell the house and to do the final move, I realized that I did not have the key to the pins (one for the hitch on my Jeep and the one on the boat trailed latch). We had already taken all of the contents of all of our cabinets and drawers up to Charlotte.

Anyway, the point of all of this is to explain that it took me about 3 minutes to hack off the lock pin with a regular hacksaw. That didn't make me feel very good. I can't remember exactly waht brand it was, but I can tell you the set was about $25-30 bucks and was made of hardened steel. I was stunned. If I had known that it would be that easy to get off, I would have bought cheaper locking pins.

I still think they serve a purpose. #1 - it draws attention if you are hacking at the lock. #2 - it takes longer to hack it off then to just remove a cotter pin. #3 - some thieves will pass it by thinking it too much trouble.

Given the vulnerability of even the more expensive pins that I bought, I would rather go with cheaper ones and just hope that it keeps thieves from wanting to deal with it.

ANyway, though some of you would be interested. Not many of us actually end up testing these things on a normal basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts