Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After buying a new bike in March I was eagerly looking for a bike rack. Originally i thought about getting the rear mount but due to the rear spoiler I'd need a fairly expensive one.

Saris Bones EX. ~$230

Between the price and not wanting to mess up the paint or rear spoiler I broke down and ordered the OEM hitch.

Since installing the OEM hitch mid-July I've been looking for deals on a Thule or Yakima and finally randomly stumbled on one.

Yakima Ridgeback 4
Originally ~$360
Found for $219
Screenshot_20200808-193202_Chrome.jpg

I've never ordered from Auto Anything before but I've seen some of their stuff on slickdeals.net and haven't read any complaints.

Screenshot_20200809-134633_Chrome.jpg

Looks like Morris 4x4 has the same price too.

Screenshot_20200809-134706_Chrome.jpg

For you all that have hitch mount bike racks, which one did you buy and what comments do you have about it???

If I didn't stumble on this deal I would have probably bought:
CURT 18064 that fits 2 adult & 2 kids bikes
Or
One of the Allen racks on Amazon.

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L (Taffeta White)
12 Posts
I had a hitch mount bike rack on my 06 Pilot. It was a Thule Swing Away rack that had a pin you could pull out, and you could swing it away from the back hatch. So slick. Now that I have a ‘17 pilot, I am looking to get the same set up again. But I’ll have to buy the towing hitch first.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A disclaimer: I use roof-mounted racks. My experience with hitch-mounts is on other people's vehicles. Most of my bikes are worth more than my Pilot, and I want them up and out of harm's way when I drive. Priorities, right?

That being said, I suggest considering hitch racks designed so the bike wheels rest in a tray. These will cost more than you're thinking about spending if you buy new (see below), but for the extra cash, you get

• a much more solid mount point for the bike
  • an easier time of carrying multiple bikes
  • less chance of denting (or cracking, if it's carbon) a delicate frame tube during transport
  • reliable resale value (see below)

A rack that can be locked to the car, and the bike locked to the rack is absolutely worth it. Cable locks will make you feel better, but they won't even slow down someone that wants your bike.

Even if you're just doing short hauls to the local bike trail, a good rack is worth it. Having a bike jump off a rack will really mess up your day, and your insurance deductible would probably pay for the upgraded rack.

Buying quality racks from Craigslist is the way to go. Good ones never break, and you can get them for half price. As long as it's a recent enough model for small plastic parts to still be available, it will work well.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A disclaimer: I use roof-mounted racks. My experience with hitch-mounts is on other people's vehicles. Most of my bikes are worth more than my Pilot, and I want them up and out of harm's way when I drive. Priorities, right?

That being said, I suggest considering hitch racks designed so the bike wheels rest in a tray. These will cost more than you're thinking about spending if you buy new (see below), but for the extra cash, you get

• a much more solid mount point for the bike
  • an easier time of carrying multiple bikes
  • less chance of denting (or cracking, if it's carbon) a delicate frame tube during transport
  • reliable resale value (see below)
A rack that can be locked to the car, and the bike locked to the rack is absolutely worth it. Cable locks will make you feel better, but they won't even slow down someone that wants your bike.

Even if you're just doing short hauls to the local bike trail, a good rack is worth it. Having a bike jump off a rack will really mess up your day, and your insurance deductible would probably pay for the upgraded rack.

Buying quality racks from Craigslist is the way to go. Good ones never break, and you can get them for half price. As long as it's a recent enough model for small plastic parts to still be available, it will work well.
Great post, thank you.

I haven't checked since Sunday but I was checking Craigslist and Next Door App a couple times a day. I think Covid has created a run on bikes and racks.

I'll definitely consider the cradle rack for next time. The bikes in transporting aren't very expensive (2 Rockhoppers) and then there are 2 kids bikes. Eventually it will make sense and be worth it.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts