Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a hitch on on my 2019 yesterday. If your like most of us and don't have access to a lift using ramps will makes things much easier. My ramps gave me just enough room to sit under the rear of the Pilot. This made it much easier removing the clips and the push post. I coated the 6 bolts along with the rest of the hitch in Fluid Film. This should stop any rust from happening. While I had the spare tire down I sprayed the entire bottom wear the tire sat along with the areas I missed when I first got it. The entire process took 25-30 minutes

Fluid Flim Link...... Amazon.com: Fluid Film 11.75 oz. Spray 2-pak: Automotive

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
As another option, you could get the undercarriage sprayed at Krown or Rust Check as they are called up here. It only costs around $100 with the CAA discount. It is good protection against the ravages of winter in the northern climes.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Fluid film is good stuff. I always have a can in the shop. It great on electrical terminals and battery terminals too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Watched project farm on the tube. Bought crc marine heavy duty. Gonna spray this weekend. Good call on lowering the tire. Sprayed some rusted bolts down with the rust changer spray Last weekend

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've used fluid film based on the good reviews but I find that it's ok at best. I usually buy a gallon of WD40, put it in a spray bottle and mist all over. The fluid film causes so much stuff to stick to in like dirt and grime.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
I installed a hitch on on my 2019 yesterday. If your like most of us and don't have access to a lift using ramps will makes things much easier. My ramps gave me just enough room to sit under the rear of the Pilot. This made it much easier removing the clips and the push post. I coated the 6 bolts along with the rest of the hitch in Fluid Film. This should stop any rust from happening. While I had the spare tire down I sprayed the entire bottom wear the tire sat along with the areas I missed when I first got it. The entire process took 25-30 minutes

Fluid Flim Link...... Amazon.com: Fluid Film 11.75 oz. Spray 2-pak: Automotive

Im thinking about doing the hitch myself as im looking for a bike rack.
How long did it take? Did you have to move the kick sensor?

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
I spent the last 2 hours just trying to tighten those bolts. For a while, it felt like the bolts were not catching any thread.
And once they did, It only lets me turn them 2 times by hand.
I could no longer turn them midway. My socket wrench gave up. They won't even turn with the breaker bar. All 6 of them!
Finally gave up and took it off.

Are those bolts supposed to put up a fight? The hitch is OEM.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Lefty loosey, righty righty. Did you check for overspray? It could have clogged the threads. Try running the bolt through without the frame and without the hitch to find out where the problem might be. You might need to clean out the treads with a wire brush. If it's on an angle they might not line up as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had no issues, but I did chase the threads ahead of time with a tap to remove the rust/debris. I've done this on all my vehicles just to make sure the threads are clean before installing the hitch. But like Ronnie said, a wire brush might do the trick since you could have overspray or stones/rocks/road debris up in them.

Since the hitch is OEM, I would assume the bolts are the correct size/pitch (M14 x 1.5). If the wire brush doesn't work or the threads are now a little buggered up, you may need to get a tap and clean them up.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
I spent the last 2 hours just trying to tighten those bolts. For a while, it felt like the bolts were not catching any thread.
And once they did, It only lets me turn them 2 times by hand.
I could no longer turn them midway. My socket wrench gave up. They won't even turn with the breaker bar. All 6 of them!
Finally gave up and took it off.

Are those bolts supposed to put up a fight? The hitch is OEM.

This should not be that much of a struggle. If you have had the vehicle for any length of time then it well could be that the bolt holes are filled with dirt, gunk and grime clogging the threads. First thing to do is clean the threaded holes out well.

Secondly, since you started the bolts in and backed them out, check the bolt threads for damage, or possibly cross thread damage from when you attempted to install them the first time. If the threads are damaged, you need to replace the bolts. Do not go and buy just any old bolts that fit. Make sure you get bolts with the same or even higher tensile strength. If your not sure how to tell the strength rating then go to a good auto parts store and ask for someone who does.

Next get under there and check the threads in the mounting holes for damage. If they are damaged you are going to have to either clean up the threads or tap them for new threads.

Once that is done, dry fit the bolts into the threads carefully and make sure they will seat all the way. You don't need to torque them down, just seat them and then carefully remove them. Since you have already had issues you might want to color coat each bolt to the corresponding hole you put it into to make sure you are getting the same bolt into the same hole.

Finally Mount it up. Loosely bolt everything in place, then once all is in place, snug the bolts and hitch in place followed by torquing all the bolts down.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
I just bought the tow hitch and will mount it next weekend. I have a '19 with 16k miles on it garage kept, what are the chances I'll need to clean the threads?

Was thinking of picking up a small wire brush and a can of compressed air. Does anyone recommend anything else or something different?

Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
642 Posts
I just bought the tow hitch and will mount it next weekend. I have a '19 with 16k miles on it garage kept, what are the chances I'll need to clean the threads?

Was thinking of picking up a small wire brush and a can of compressed air. Does anyone recommend anything else or something different?

Thank you
Chances are all but guaranteed they need to be cleaned out. Take a bolt go to sporting goods and get a round bore brush from the hunting section that is slightly bigger diameter than the bolt. Use some WD40 or other like PB blaster ans spray. You should be able to do by hand if not put in in your drill and run it a couple times. I don't know if Home Depot or Lowes have the small round ones like that. Your bolt should thread in smooth once all the junk is out.

Don't even waste your time or issues with the bolt unless you clean it out first.

And like others. Spray all the areas where the hitch will contact the unibody and the hitch with Fluid Film it will protect it for the future.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I just bought the tow hitch and will mount it next weekend. I have a '19 with 16k miles on it garage kept, what are the chances I'll need to clean the threads
Best to clear the threads of road debris, overspray and rust. Just spray some WD40 and run the supplied bolts. Or if you have a rethreader or thread cleaner tool run that first to simplify the installation.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
Chances are all but guaranteed they need to be cleaned out. Take a bolt go to sporting goods and get a round bore brush from the hunting section that is slightly bigger diameter than the bolt. Use some WD40 or other like PB blaster ans spray. You should be able to do by hand if not put in in your drill and run it a couple times. I don't know if Home Depot or Lowes have the small round ones like that. Your bolt should thread in smooth once all the junk is out.

Don't even waste your time or issues with the bolt unless you clean it out first.

And like others. Spray all the areas where the hitch will contact the unibody and the hitch with Fluid Film it will protect it for the future.

(y)

Thank you.
This is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This should not be that much of a struggle. If you have had the vehicle for any length of time then it well could be that the bolt holes are filled with dirt, gunk and grime clogging the threads. First thing to do is clean the threaded holes out well.

Secondly, since you started the bolts in and backed them out, check the bolt threads for damage, or possibly cross thread damage from when you attempted to install them the first time. If the threads are damaged, you need to replace the bolts. Do not go and buy just any old bolts that fit. Make sure you get bolts with the same or even higher tensile strength. If your not sure how to tell the strength rating then go to a good auto parts store and ask for someone who does.

Next get under there and check the threads in the mounting holes for damage. If they are damaged you are going to have to either clean up the threads or tap them for new threads.

Once that is done, dry fit the bolts into the threads carefully and make sure they will seat all the way. You don't need to torque them down, just seat them and then carefully remove them. Since you have already had issues you might want to color coat each bolt to the corresponding hole you put it into to make sure you are getting the same bolt into the same hole.

Finally Mount it up. Loosely bolt everything in place, then once all is in place, snug the bolts and hitch in place followed by torquing all the bolts down.
Searching the forum for 'hitch bolt size' and what often comes up is M12. But you're right about the M14 x 1.5
The wire brush didn't really do much so I will chase the threads tomorrow. Local shops don't sell much metric taps. The one I ordered just came in today.
I have also been reading inconsistent posts regarding the use of antisieze, grease and thread locker.
Btw, I have a 17 EXL

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the good advice. Dealer wanted $1100 for hitch, harness, and installation on the 2019 Pilot EX-L. OEM has better clearance and aesthetics than aftermarket products. There is one aftermarket hitch that has equal aesthetics (mount has gooseneck appeture that brings the receiver in front of bumper - install price makes it more than OEM). figure I could buy parts $455 (Bernardiparts.com) and do the work myself. Clean bolt holes. Run bolts by hand prior to install. See YouTube videos. Buy cheap interior panel remover. Will need to blindly locate the unseen plugs behind panel (probably the most frustrating issue). I think the WD-40 will be fine for the dry Southern California weather. So I think that it should be a straight forward install. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts