Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang -

I want to get a hitch for the sole purpose of using a bike rack and one of those platforms to put extra luggage & coolers on, etc.

For all of you roof rack proponents......I cannot use an aftermarket rack system.....my garage opening is too short for this.

I do not forsee myself towing anything with the truck......perhaps a small trailer for yard waste, etc. over short distances. But I doubt it.

U-Haul has a 1.5" version for $99.25 + $25 install fee.

Do Ya'll think this is a good option for me, or should I stick with Honda accessories? What would the $100+ premium get me?

Side note - the guy at U-Haul must know more than me about the Pilot. He was ready to fight to the grave when I replied to his question: "Were there any changes over the 2002" and I said that '03 was the first year. He told me that he knew for a fact that there were 2002 Pilots because he put a hitch on one. We both left that conversation knowing we were right and the other was wrong.

Thanks.....

Oh....one last thing: Are hitches a fairly easy self-install?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Hi gang -

I want to get a hitch for the sole purpose of using a bike rack and one of those platforms to put extra luggage & coolers on, etc.

For all of you roof rack proponents......I cannot use an aftermarket rack system.....my garage opening is too short for this.

I do not forsee myself towing anything with the truck......perhaps a small trailer for yard waste, etc. over short distances. But I doubt it.

U-Haul has a 1.5" version for $99.25 + $25 install fee.

Do Ya'll think this is a good option for me, or should I stick with Honda accessories? What would the $100+ premium get me?

Side note - the guy at U-Haul must know more than me about the Pilot. He was ready to fight to the grave when I replied to his question: "Were there any changes over the 2002" and I said that '03 was the first year. He told me that he knew for a fact that there were 2002 Pilots because he put a hitch on one. We both left that conversation knowing we were right and the other was wrong.

Thanks.....

Oh....one last thing: Are hitches a fairly easy self-install?
If you do a search, you will find this subject has been beat to death several times. In a nut shell:

Lot's of options out there besides the Honda hitch, including HiddenHitch and DrawTite (and now U-Haul). My personal opinion, don't buy the 1 1/2" job when you can have the 2" for about the same $$ and you can use it for more.

I went with the Honda, but the others are "good" too.

Good Luck!!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Just check out etrailer.com. I bought the hidden hitch made for the Pilot and the Thule 4 bike carrier and they look and work great. Hitch fits like a glove..15 mins to install with a helper maybe alittle if you fly solo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beat to death......sorry for the post, then. I didn't see it on a quick search.

Thanks for the responses....I'll go find that other thread.

:1pat:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Beat to death......sorry for the post, then. I didn't see it on a quick search.

Thanks for the responses....I'll go find that other thread.

:1pat:
Not a big deal - probably good you asked cuz I don' think anyone has asked about the 1 1/2" versus 2" receiver before.

Again - Good Luck!!!

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
picture of HiddenHitch on pilot, anyone?

Can anyone post a picture of HiddenHitch on Pilot? How hidden it is? I may want to get a hitch but don't want it stick out too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I'm thinking of installing the Honda or Hidden hitch on my Pilot with the 2" receiver and then purchasing a 2" to 1 1/4" adapter so I can still use my Thule Bike Rack that's designed to fit into a 1 1/4" receiver. Anyone using one of these adapters? Potential problems? Am I just better off buying another bike rack?
Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Honda_Pilot said:
I'm thinking of installing the Honda or Hidden hitch on my Pilot with the 2" receiver and then purchasing a 2" to 1 1/4" adapter so I can still use my Thule Bike Rack that's designed to fit into a 1 1/4" receiver. Anyone using one of these adapters? Potential problems? Am I just better off buying another bike rack?
Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.
Check out this thread...
Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Reese Hitch

I just picked up a Reese hitch from Wal-Mart for $137. Has the same 8 bolt holes as in the photos of the HIdden Hitch that were posted. Haven't installed it yet, but it looks very much like the prior posting.

One issue- no bolts! I'm on a quest for bolts, using the tie-down loop bolts as a model.

Had to special order from Wal-Mart; took about 10 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: Reese Hitch

rlburns0211 said:
I just picked up a Reese hitch from Wal-Mart for $137. Has the same 8 bolt holes as in the photos of the HIdden Hitch that were posted. Haven't installed it yet, but it looks very much like the prior posting.

One issue- no bolts! I'm on a quest for bolts, using the tie-down loop bolts as a model.

Had to special order from Wal-Mart; took about 10 days.
How much is the Honda hitch without coolers (with bolts)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Hi gang -

I want to get a hitch for the sole purpose of using a bike rack and one of those platforms to put extra luggage & coolers on, etc.

For all of you roof rack proponents......I cannot use an aftermarket rack system.....my garage opening is too short for this.

I do not forsee myself towing anything with the truck......perhaps a small trailer for yard waste, etc. over short distances. But I doubt it.

U-Haul has a 1.5" version for $99.25 + $25 install fee.

Do Ya'll think this is a good option for me, or should I stick with Honda accessories? What would the $100+ premium get me?

Side note - the guy at U-Haul must know more than me about the Pilot. He was ready to fight to the grave when I replied to his question: "Were there any changes over the 2002" and I said that '03 was the first year. He told me that he knew for a fact that there were 2002 Pilots because he put a hitch on one. We both left that conversation knowing we were right and the other was wrong.

Thanks.....

Oh....one last thing: Are hitches a fairly easy self-install?
My biggest concern is that, although one dealer recommended this option to me (no interest in towing but want to have a pivotable bike rack), another dealer told me that adding an aftermarket hitch would void the Honda warranty if I did not have the Honda towing package, which is like $800.

Glad you brought this up! I've been meaning to plough through previous long threads about trailer hitch bike racks but have not yet had the time (also, the search function isn't back up to speed yet).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Reese Hitch

N_Jay said:


How much is the Honda hitch without coolers (with bolts)?
I paid $186, but I think Tim has offered it for less a couple times. This also includes the "cover" with the Honda "H".

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
It's $199

on the web site.

Honda Acura World Trailer Hitch

When the search function improves, you'll see that the warranty questions have come up before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Re: It's $199

sfhondapilot said:
When the search function improves, you'll see that the warranty questions have come up before.
Do you happen to recall if these warrenty questions were resolved?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
Dealer may not honor warranty on transmission repairs

Thanks, sfhondapilot, for pointing me to the post.

Sounds like American Honda has reassured some people over the phone that their warranty would not be voided but that many dealers are taking a harder line. There was also some indication that American Honda's position might be evolving so I called them (800-999-1009) and spoke with Rebecca (very nice):

No, the warrenty is not voided by the installation of the hitch without the coolers but they do recommend the installation of the coolers. And if there is need for any warranty repair to the transmission, the owner could never prove that anything heavier than a bike rack was not towed so the presumption would be that something heavier might have been towed (even if the owner swears this was not so) and so the dealer could refuse to do the repair under warranty.

Can't say that this sounded terribly reassuring. Sounds to me as if the the warranty on the transmission is effectively voided for all intents and purposes by the installation of the hitch without the full towing package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
But then again, it takes about 5 minutes to remove the trailer hitch ....

and if you don't have the trailer wiring hooked up, you probably haven't been trying to tow a 5,000 lb boat w/o the addition of the recommended coolers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Re: Re: It's $199

Originally posted by robrecht Do you happen to recall if these warrenty questions were resolved?
When we asked our dealer, he said that although it does not void the waranty, Honda may elect to not repair something that they deem could have been caused by towing something without the full package. So, if your transmission goes in 2 years and you take it in, and they see a hitch without the cooling package, they could say that they won't cover it due to "improper towing."

Seem farfetched? Yes. :confused:

Did I wanna chance it? No. :(

Did I buy the OEM package so that I could use it for my bikes? Yes. :)

Will I probably ever tow? No. :(

Do any of you really care? Probably not. :23:

Will I apologize? Probably not. ;)

Will I stop this? Yes, right now. :2:

--Bret
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
But then again, it takes about 5 minutes to remove the trailer hitch ....
I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this. But if people do want to go down this road, it would be important for owners to install the hitch themselves or at least not have the dealer do it. Someone in the previous thread had the dealer install the hitch and they wrote a rather severe warning on the receipt.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top