Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying a hitch Bike Rack and Light Towing. i have a 2017 Pilot EX-L AWD. Please can someone suggest me a good Aftermarket Hitch with Easy installation ( without removing the Spare Tire).

i was reading some earlier threads and did not find the right thread with the details. Appreciate if someone can redirect me to the thread with the details or share your thoughts on a Hitch

i am looking at the following Hitch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F685J2U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Please let me know if there is a better one

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd rather pay a little more for the Honda hitch that tucks up further giving you less if a chance of ground clearance issues backing from inclines with a bike rack.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
As far as I know none of them **require** removing the spare, even if some of the instructions say to do so. As above I went with the OEM hitch to maximize ground clearance, but if cost is an issue then the Curt or U-Haul hitches should work fine. Mine has the Tekonsha harness that passes through the spare tire storage area to under the Pilot's body / bumper area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too would recommend the OEM hitch and harness. I think it looks so much better and more ground clearance is a big bonus. I have a 2017 AWD with a Hollywood Racks 2/4 bike rack. No regrets.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went with the Curt hitch on my 2017 Pilot touring and it's been solid for my use. Ground clearance for me has never been an issue. If my Accord can get out of my driveway, I'm pretty sure that my Pilot can too.

I didn't have to remove the spare, but I did to just make it easier to install.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went with the Curt hitch on my 2017 Pilot touring and it's been solid for my use. Ground clearance for me has never been an issue. If my Accord can get out of my driveway, I'm pretty sure that my Pilot can too.

I didn't have to remove the spare, but I did to just make it easier to install.
Glad to hear your Curt hitch is working well. You must be new to towing, as the question isn't "can the tow vehicle get out of the driveway?", but "will the trailer end scrape on the driveway?". My Pilot has the OEM hitch but even with that advantage, the safety chains and jockey wheel on the boat trailer will scrape -- it is all about the angles of the driveway and street, plus length and height of trailer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad to hear your Curt hitch is working well. You must be new to towing, as the question isn't "can the tow vehicle get out of the driveway?", but "will the trailer end scrape on the driveway?"

Correct, I tow bikes on a bike rack. I don't pull trailers, boats, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
I just installed 2" Curt 13146 hitch for my bike rack and a cargo basket. 40 minute install with 2 people and the price was great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow I thought the Pilots had hitches as standard equipment. Didn't they use to have that?
Gen 2s came with an integrated Class 3 hitch. Gen 3 seems to follow the Gen 1 route of making the hitch an accessory.

Curt is a good company and you should be able to install it without much trouble in your driveway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed a Draw-Tire hitch from ETrailer.com for my 18 Pilot. It took less than 10 minutes to install by myself using my floor jack. It was 4 bolts I think. I only use it to haul my bikes on a platform bike rack. Ground clearance has not been an issue. But I do agree that the OEM does look the best of the options.

·
Banned
379 Posts
You gotta drop the spare. Don't be lazy just do it lol. Curt hitch is fine. Wiring just plugs in. Go to etrailer and look it up. They even have vids

·
Registered
144 Posts
On my 2010 Odyssey the OEM hitch was notably better looking because it tucked up tight under the bumper and required cutting a notch into the plastic bumper cover.

·
Registered
87 Posts
On my 2010 Odyssey the OEM hitch was notably better looking because it tucked up tight under the bumper and required cutting a notch into the plastic bumper cover.
You may have missed my response to your post above; the Gen 2 Pilot had an 'integrated' hitch. Honda integrated the rear bumper brace (impact bar) with the tow hitch receiver. Similar to what they did with the Gen 1 ('09+) and Gen 2 Ridgelines. Though I admit that the integrated hitch always looks cleaner as it is part of the Chassis' secondary support structure, it is an involved process in design and engineering. Given the fact that a vast majority of the owners do not tow with their Pilot, it is cost effective to skip the hitch integration in the G3.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You may have missed by response to your post above; the Gen 2 Pilot had an 'integrated' hitch. Honda integrated the rear bumper brace (impact bar) with the tow hitch receiver. Similar to what they did with the Gen 1 ('09+) and Gen 2 Ridgelines. Though I admit that the integrated hitch always looks cleaner as it is part of the Chassis' secondary support structure, it is an involved process in design and engineering. Given the fact that a vast majority of the owners do not tow with their Pilot, it is cost effective to skip the hitch integration in the G3.
Ok sure but what I was saying is that on the Odyssey at least, the aftermarket hitches all looked fugly as they hang way down below the bumper cover. The OEM looked much better when one installed it. But it took more work because you had to remove the bumper cover first

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok sure but what I was saying is that on the Odyssey at least, the aftermarket hitches all looked fugly as they hang way down below the bumper cover. The OEM looked much better when one installed it. But it took more work because you had to remove the bumper cover first
I agree. The OEM and some aftermarket hitches for the Odyssey enabled the hitch to be tucked in. Given the way the third row seat is stowed in the Odyssey, the pan is deeper than the main frame rails. This causes complexities with designing a hitch to be tucked in and look flush. I have a '19 Odyssey and after looking at the tear down to install the OEM hitch, I just gave up and also the cost of the parts started to add up (I have the foot activation sensor). I just use my Ridgeline to carry our bikes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree. The OEM and some aftermarket hitches for the Odyssey enabled the hitch to be tucked in. Given the way the third row seat is stowed in the Odyssey, the pan is deeper than the main frame rails. This causes complexities with designing a hitch to be tucked in and look flush. I have a '19 Odyssey and after looking at the tear down to install the OEM hitch, I just gave up and also the cost of the parts started to add up (I have the foot activation sensor). I just use my Ridgeline to carry our bikes.
So as a potential owner of a 2020 Pilot, do we have the same issue here or are all the hitch options generally looking similar in terms of finished optics? Meaning they are all just copies of each other so you go with price

·
Registered
87 Posts
So as a potential owner of a 2020 Pilot, do we have the same issue here or are all the hitch options generally looking similar in terms of finished optics? Meaning they are all just copies of each other so you go with price
Just looking at the traditional resource of etrailer.com, the appearance is basically the same for the two options they have. Images below are from their website and the product is the Curt Hitch. It sits rather flush and with three bolts on either side and no removal of the bumper, it appears to be rather straightforward. These aftermarket hitch, seem to mimic the OEM offering in design (basically), but sits a bit lower.

Below is the aftermarket

Below is the OEM

With the OEM offering, you do replace the $30 trim panel (08L92-TG7-1A030), but the hitch costs $250.. The aftermarket one (etrailer in house brand) is around $140.That said, and with the Pilot's higher ground clearance and departure angle (20.8deg, similar to Ridgeline's 21.4deg), I will not be too worried about the hitch scraping a steep driveway even with the bike rack hooked to the rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts