Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the Honda factory trailer hitch, I went to screw the 2" ball onto the removable ball mount, but the ball shank seems to be too small. The discontinuous section of the lock washer can easily slip into the mounting hole, and the shank slips around in the hole. I have read that this is unsafe, and that a bushing would not make it safe, which I certainly believe.

Surprisingly, this is the only hitch ball offered by Honda. Does anyone know for sure what's safe, and has anyone heard of a recall on the hitch ball?

Thx.

Edit: The hole in the ball mount is big enough for a 1" diameter shank -- i.e. about 1 1/16"; the shank on the ball is about 11/16" actual diameter, probably 3/4" nominal.

While I'm tossing around measurements, the thickness of the ball mount is 3/4" (rated for 4500 lbs.); the ball is marked 3500 lb. V5

---

This is what Draw Tite has to say about hitch balls:

Hitch Balls

Select by gross trailer weight rating, mounting platform thickness and hole size, and coupler socket size. Platform must be at least 3/8" thick. Hole must not exceed threaded shank diameter by more than 1/16". Use lock washer. Tighten per instructions. When tightened, shank must protrude beyond bottom of nut. Gross trailer weight rating and ball diameter are marked on DRAW-TITE balls.
http://www.drawtite.com/important_towing_information.htm

---
Web sites seem to agree about tightening torque for the ball:
TIGHTEN NUT WITH TORQUE WRENCH AS FOLLOWS:
3/4" DIA. THREAD: 150 LB.-FT.
1" DIA. THREAD: 250 LB.-FT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No flat washer for hitch ball

What you describe is a typical arrangement for a bolt, but the Honda hitch ball does not come with a flat washer, nor does any other hitch ball I've seen in the auto parts stores. Even if it did, the stress on the nut would be uneven and the force of the trailer on the ball could cause the shank to move in the mounting hole, potentially loosening the nut.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went to Walmart and bought a 2" ball with a 1" diam. shank. I have not had a chance to see if it will work, but I had the same concerns you did. By the way, it was only $7.00.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. That's what I'm doing as well (3 car parts stores didn't have one). Too bad I already spent $28 on the wrench for the original ball.

·
Registered
226 Posts
towing section

you might want to post this concern in the towing section of the forum...

·
Registered
385 Posts
for clarification, was the ball included with your purchase of the Honda hitch, or was it extra? Just curious, mine didn't include it, but had one already (that fit fine).
I did think the "insert" that was included seemed rather short, resulting in the ball being rather close to the vehicle. The two aftermarket ones that I owned extend out further.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the trailer kit, but the ball was extra. It's the one and only Honda ball specified for the Pilot.

(Re: suggestion for towing section, it sounds reasonable, but I don't want to duplicate posts. Could also go in the "knowledge base" a.k.a. "problems" forum. If the ball really is not safe you'd think there'd be a service bulletin by now.)

·
Registered
226 Posts
ball shank

quizical;

It sounds like the ball you have came with 3/4" shank.
Auto store sells same ball with 1" shank.
That should solve you problem?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Reese Ball Kit

Go to Wal-Mart and buy yourself a Reese Hitch Interchangeable Ball Kit with a 1" shank. This way you get both 1 7/8" and 2" balls that can be interchanged depending on the trailer coupler size. The kit itself costs about $24. It works slick, especially if you are renting trailers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FYI on hitch ball

I was at an autoparts store just the other day and saw a recall notice for certain models of a Reese (if I remember correctly) hitch ball where the ball could separate from the stem. Definitely not cool!:eek: Research before you buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts