Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a pop up camper. It looks promising that ill be bringing it home. My question is, is there a standard drop hitch ball mount you would recommend for a pop up. I understand you have to do some measuring but without the camper i'm kinda stuck just guessing. I borrowed the neighbors that has 2 and1/2 inch drop. Do you think thats to much? I'm just trying to get the camper home then i'll figure out what I need to make it level. What are you guys using for your pop up? This is for 2017 touring. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd think the only way to do it is to use what you've got to get the trailer home, and then do some measuring in your driveway. Or if the 2 1/2 looks like it's going to be way too much, so that towing is unsafe (things are dragging, you have a long drive, etc...) offer to buy the trailer and pick it up a short time later after you've measured and purchased the proper hitch for the job. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the camper home with no issues. The 2.5 inch drop I think was just a little to much so I bought a 2 inch drop.

·
Registered
712 Posts
This is why I bought a fully adjustable hitch with 3 ball sizes on it. I never have to worry about getting the right drop.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Don't forget to factor in the additional weight in the Pilot and in the camper. This may change your angle at the hitch as well. I've borrowed a friends adjustable hitch with an integrated load gauge. This thing is great. Easy to adjust and you know exactly how much weight you have on the tongue. Another thing to keep in mind is that different drops will push the trailer further away from the vehicle so if you are tight on your trailer harness, you may need to buy an extension to use with the lower drop hitch. I have a 6" drop that I bought when I had a 1500 RAM. It worked great in that the trailer was level, but the harness was way too short. I pretty much stick with the 2" drop now on the Pilot when hauling my utility trailer or one off U-Haul rental.

If you get in to more serious hauling, look at trailers that have e-brakes and install a brake assist unit in your Pilot. I've hauled an 18' trailer with and without the brake assist, and it is definitely better with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts