Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it was hilarious. Yes, I am a Emergency Medicine trained professional. No, I did not even stop.

So I had to leave an hour earlier this morning to get my 2nd Covid vaccine, then go to work by 0800.

Going Westbound on I-94 just west of Hwy 100- big multilane divided interstate hwy.
I'm doing 60 in a 55mph area. It's about 0630. I'm in the 2nd from the right lane. I'm checking my mirrors as I always do, when I see some kind of small sedan zooming up in the land to the left of me. It Zips by me- had to be going 80+.
There is mist and jetsam from the tires as it just snowed, has been plowed and salted and it's wet, icy, etc.
I remember thinking to myself- what an idiot- no reason or need for that kind of speed on this wet/icy/snowy hwy.
It was 11F w/o any Windchill according to my Pilot. Wunderground.com has it at 10F.

That vehicle was quickly is about 100+ meters ahead of me in the same lane, when suddenly- it's sideways- more spray shooting off the tires. It was sideways for awhile, then slowly going backward into the center median going backwards
The median is full of a think hill of plowed snow and there's more spray coming off. By now I'm off the gas and lightly tapped my brakes- watching this whole thing unfold. It was still in front of me, off to the left in the median.
It didn't hit anyone else, or anything for that matter.
As it's slowing down going backwards along the snow piled median, it flips on to it's left/driver side and finally comes to a stop.

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud so hard, for at least 20-30 seconds.
When I was younger- (I'm still stupid), looked like something I could have done.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. No, I don't feel bad about not stopping. No on around me did! We all just kept driving, and laughing. Most everyone wears a seatbelt these days- I feel confident they were embarrassed, and fine.
My morning drive excitement for today

My only regrets, is that I don't have a dash cam- it would have caught the whole thing.

Reactions: TGPilotElite

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Yes, it was hilarious. Yes, I am a Emergency Medicine trained professional. No, I did not even stop.

So I had to leave an hour earlier this morning to get my 2nd Covid vaccine, then go to work by 0800.

Going Westbound on I-94 just west of Hwy 100- big multilane divided interstate hwy.
I'm doing 60 in a 55mph area. It's about 0630. I'm in the 2nd from the right lane. I'm checking my mirrors as I always do, when I see some kind of small sedan zooming up in the land to the left of me. It Zips by me- had to be going 80+.
There is mist and jetsam from the tires as it just snowed, has been plowed and salted and it's wet, icy, etc.
I remember thinking to myself- what an idiot- no reason or need for that kind of speed on this wet/icy/snowy hwy.
It was 11F w/o any Windchill according to my Pilot. Wunderground.com has it at 10F.

That vehicle was quickly is about 100+ meters ahead of me in the same lane, when suddenly- it's sideways- more spray shooting off the tires. It was sideways for awhile, then slowly going backward into the center median going backwards
The median is full of a think hill of plowed snow and there's more spray coming off. By now I'm off the gas and lightly tapped my brakes- watching this whole thing unfold. It was still in front of me, off to the left in the median.
As it's slowing down going backwards along the snow piled median, it flips on to it's left/driver side and finally comes to a stop.

When I was younger- (I'm still stupid), looked like something I could have done.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. No, I don't feel bad about not stopping. No on around me did! We all just kept driving, and laughing. Most everyone wears a seatbelt these days- I feel confident they were embarrassed, and fine.

My only regrets, is that I don't have a dash cam- it would have caught the whole thing.
Maybe their blood sugar was low. Makes people do crazy things.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

Thanks for doing your part in helping to incrementally improve the gene pool.

A relative who is in law enforcement said that stopping to help others in a freeway accident (speed limit over 65mph) is dangerous to you, the people in the accident and can cause further accidents. Best thing is to call the location in to 911 and keep moving with traffic. Officers get hit all the time stopping to help accident victims even with full bubble gum regalia flashing. In Florida and maybe elsewhere, it is the law that you have to move over a lane and give a lane's clearance to the accident. Don't even think about stopping.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
The bright side is that the driver of that vehicle will soon be able to show off their new car.

The most amusing incident I can recall happened while I was driving to the office in the rain on a state highway known to be drainage challenged.
I was doing about 50 in the right lane in a 55 zone when another vehicle zipped past me.
Not far ahead of me, that vehicle encountered one of the sections of road with poorer drainage, hydroplaned and began to perform a slow pirouette.
As it was spinning, the back end hit a guardrail causing the rear hatch to pop open.
Out fell a cooler which dispensed its contents across the road.
There was no need to stop and offer assistance - I only slowed down to avoid the debris.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One good one I remember. I was going to a late night drop-in hockey game, about 9pm or so. 4 lane road with a center turn lane with raised median. I'm going along in the far right lane maybe 5mph over the limit when this sports sedan comes flying up behind me. Guess just going around me in the left lane wasn't a good enough option for them. After sitting on my bumper for a bit, they drop back and gun it. Go flying past me (I think I was supposed to be impressed). They went a little too far left and they made contact with the curb in the median. Went a pretty good distance on the two right wheels before slamming back down. When I went past it was two younger guys. I bet dad was pissed they trashed his car.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bright side is that the driver of that vehicle will soon be able to show off their new car.

The most amusing incident I can recall happened while I was driving to the office in the rain on a state highway known to be drainage challenged.
I was doing about 50 in the right lane in a 55 zone when another vehicle zipped past me.
Not far ahead of me, that vehicle encountered one of the sections of road with poorer drainage, hydroplaned and began to perform a slow pirouette.
As it was spinning, the back end hit a guardrail causing the rear hatch to pop open.
Out fell a cooler which dispensed its contents across the road.
There was no need to stop and offer assistance - I only slowed down to avoid the debris.
Yeah, but what was IN the cooler?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
or especially vids.

Just installed this dashcan so I'm ready for the next NSFW "event" (non-injury only, of course). Snow optional.

I installed an upgraded dashcam. It's a rearview mirror-integrated unit, which I prefer. The mirror itself is bigger, better and with less glare from the growing number of bad or badly installed LED headlights out there. Oh, there are spiffier higher-end models sold, but I like this configuration. Can't complain about the price, either.

It was down to -22 C last night, so I decided to put off doing the wiring for the rear camera. View attachment 144666

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I agree, I’ve been a type 1 diabetic since I was a little over a year old. I’ve done some...weird stuff 😂 but still it sounds like the guy was driving like a wanker. I would’ve laughed too.
Ya, ROFL! 😁

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya'lls first problem is you actually get out of bed and leave the house at 11 degrees F.

Zero chance I ever leave the house in that weather.

PS...im not as old as I sound. Living in Florida spoils people.
It was 5F this morning, w/o any wind chill. I got to work this morning about 30 miles N/W of my home- it's 2F here now.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for understanding, this was NOT a Violent accident.

The car lost grip, slid, slid backwards parallel to the center median that has LOTS of snow piled up along it, and as it was just about to come to a stop going backwards in the shoulder lane- it tipped up on it's side as it stopped- having been pushed by the piled up snow.

If it had even remotely looked like someone was injured, tapped in a burning vehicle, etc., I would have stopped and tried to render aid.

I could not even find mention of it on the net last night. It was that minor.

Good Day all

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Thank you all for understanding, this was NOT a Violent accident.

The car lost grip, slid, slid backwards parallel to the center median that has LOTS of snow piled up along it, and as it was just about to come to a stop going backwards in the shoulder lane- it tipped up on it's side as it stopped- having been pushed by the piled up snow.

If it had even remotely looked like someone was injured, tapped in a burning vehicle, etc., I would have stopped and tried to render aid.

I could not even find mention of it on the net last night. It was that minor.

Good Day all
No judgements ... just keep in mind despite all best intentions, it does fall into the "no greater love" category, but you also have to love your family too before "laying down your life ...."

Man killed in crash had stopped to help other victims - Bing video

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No judgements ... just keep in mind despite all best intentions, it does fall into the "no greater love" category, but you also have to love your family too before "laying down your life ...."

Man killed in crash had stopped to help other victims - Bing video
I also know several Tow truck drivers here in the Milwaukee area. I know them because they also ride sportbike motorcycles like me, not cause I'm getting towed alot- of ever, Knock on wood.
They often speak of this danger and post awareness things on FB about it.
What a shame.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I also know several Tow truck drivers here in the Milwaukee area. I know them because they also ride sportbike motorcycles like me, not cause I'm getting towed alot- of ever, Knock on wood.
What a shame.
What a shame.
Yes very sad. I hate it when no good deed goes unpunished.
As much as anyone, I admire people who are willing to sacrifice it all for others. Who doesn't admire the firemen and police who rushed toward the twin towers on 9/11? But my point is in the unique case of stopping to help others on a major highway with fast moving traffic including semi's and other heavy trucks, that while you're saving one person, more accidents can occur injuring or killing others as a result of your stopped vehicle becoming another obstruction to traffic.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Before retiring I'd drive between 25K and 35k miles every year and I've seen some things even I wouldn't have done in my youth. Most states now require drivers to pull over or at least slow down for emergency vehicles, unfortunately, many don't. However, while driving in VA several years ago I saw a car w/ NY plates go past a pulled over State Trooper without changing lanes or even slowing down. Within 60 seconds the trooper got in his car, forgetting the driver he had just pulled over, and chased that SOB like a "Bat out of Hell". A few miles later, there on the side of the interstate was the trooper and the Butt-Head from NY. It put a smile on my face for a long time. Those old Ford Police Interceptors could really haul ass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts