Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my transmission problems have been solved with VCMuzzler and drain and fills.
Since I purchased the car, it had Goodyear Assurance Tripletred tires on it. The rears are pretty low on tread but the fronts have about 50%. There are a few little chunks missing (I forget what that's called). I assume this is why they are so loud. I don't really care enough to replace them right away.
However, I have been experiencing vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. It varies but its typically between 65-80 mph. Usually when I first start off on a trip but it comes and goes. The tires haven't been balanced or aligned since about 7,000 miles ago. I can't remember if the last time I did that things were improved.

So my question is, is this something with my tires or general front end? Or is it the transmission/driveshaft? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I would start with getting the tires balanced. That resolved a similar issue with my Tacoma. If that didn’t work my next course of action would have been to have an alignment performed.

·
Super Moderator
15,210 Posts
There is a massive thread on first gens with 75mph type vibration. For some (myself included) new tires fixed the problem. Others went hole hog replacing multiple parts with some improvement.

Tires though would be my first stop. As they age and degrade.....things happen.....

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
In order, until solved:
  1. New tires
  2. Balance.
  3. Align.
  4. Front end.
  5. All of the above.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if it’s just the tires or alignment and balance, I’ll just leave it be for a while. Don’t really care just want to make sure it’s not something super important. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
check out everything to make sure it's not we all know what assume means ...right?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
What I mean to say is 50% tread left does not justify spending $900 for new tires. I can live with road noise and vibration.
How long ago were those tires made?

Also, you don't necessarily have to spend $900 for new tires.
You should be able to buy a set for about half that price.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long ago were those tires made?

Also, you don't necessarily have to spend $900 for new tires.
You should be able to buy a set for about half that price.
The point is I’m not purchasing new tires. They are only about 3 years old. I’d rather squeeze as much life as I can out of them then replace them just because they are loud on an already loud car.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Rotate one tire at a time front to back and see if the vibration follows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a massive thread on first gens with 75mph type vibration. For some (myself included) new tires fixed the problem. Others went hole hog replacing multiple parts with some improvement.

Tires though would be my first stop. As they age and degrade.....things happen.....
Is there a list of those “multiple parts”?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Half-axles among them, also compliance bushings, ball joints, engine mounts. Do an advanced search on the forum for vibration.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up buying new tires. Out the door after a $70 rebate my price was $690. Apparently there aren't very many cheap SUV tires out there. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I ended up buying new tires. Out the door after a $70 rebate my price was $690. Apparently there aren't very many cheap SUV tires out there. Oh well.
What kind? How does it feel now?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind? How does it feel now?
I believe it was Yokohama YK-HTX. Long tread life and rated very well in rain and relatively quiet. So far everything is much more smooth (it's amazing how crappy those GY's were), but I'm still getting a little bit of vibration at lower speeds. I haven't driven on the highway yet. I plan on getting an alignment this weekend and if it doesn't solve it I'll just let it be.

Also as a side note, I was extremely impressed with Discount Tire. They weren't pushy and only provided advice. I will not go anywhere else now.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It's not that GY are bad but Yoko are good. New tires are always good and the change from the old, worn tires to the new ones makes a big difference: the tread is higher, less road noise and vibration is felt, and there is no wear yet.
This is why the reviews and testimonials on Tire Rack et al have to be taken with a grain of salt and only about 10% of them or less are trustworthy.
I rode on many brands and can attest to the fact that there is little real, tangible difference among them. Especially that 90% of the raw material which they are made of is made by Dupont, 3M, and Monsanto regardless of what label the tire is imprinted with.

Even I was apprehensive about the Honda dealer slapping on new Toyo Celsius on the CRV which I bought for my son, as I considered them a cheap compromise, but he just rode on heavy snow to his school 60 miles one way and felt completely confident. A new tire is a new tire. The only exception I know is Candian Tire's Motomaster, which has no traction whatsoever regardless of the rating.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not that GY are bad but Yoko are good. New tires are always good and the change from the old, worn tires to the new ones makes a big difference: the tread is higher, less road noise and vibration is felt, and there is no wear yet.
This is why the reviews and testimonials on Tire Rack et al have to be taken with a grain of salt and only about 10% of them or less are trustworthy.
I rode on many brands and can attest to the fact that there is little real, tangible difference among them. Especially that 90% of the raw material which they are made of is made by Dupont, 3M, and Monsanto regardless of what label the tire is imprinted with.

Even I was apprehensive about the Honda dealer slapping on new Toyo Celsius on the CRV which I bought for my son, as I considered them a cheap compromise, but he just rode on heavy snow to his school 60 miles one way and felt completely confident. A new tire is a new tire. The only exception I know is Candian Tire's Motomaster, which has no traction whatsoever regardless of the rating.
Yeah I'm sure most of it has to do with tires being brand new after coming from worn out tires. Although I have concluded that Goodyear is garbage. After running their tires on many different cars due to combining the rebates with their credit card. Not worth the savings.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yeah, Discount Tire (called America’s Tire where I live) has done me right over the past two years I have used them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So went back to Discount Tire and they balanced my front 2 tires because apparently there were out of balance. Also did an alignment. The car wasn't pulling to begin with but I thought what the heck.
Drove out on the highway and things weren't as bad, but not perfect. The steering wheel still vibrates a bit. Also at low speeds there's still a vibration. I'll probably just let it be at this point unless it can be pinpointed pretty easily.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts