Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the highway this past weekend and there were a few times I had to accelerate quite quickly. I would essentially floor it, the RPMs would go up a little bit before it would downshift. Is this the transmission doing some slipping? It just seems a bit sluggish when I need quick speed.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
When was the last time the tranny fluid was drained and filled (or flushed although not recommended by Honda)?

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What brand of fluid are you using ?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand of fluid are you using ?
I'm not really asking what is causing the slippage (if thats what it is). It seems as though every question on this forum is answered with "have you done 3x drain and fill and what brand fluid do you use?" I am trying to figure out if what I experienced was in fact the transmission slipping. I use DW-1 and I understand a lot of people use Valvoline MaxLife. I am choosing to continue using DW 1 at this time. Thank you.

·
Administrator
15,520 Posts
Well if the fluid is that fresh, it seems that the friction materials in the clutches are worn out.
the transmission is unfortunately on its last legs.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
I think it will be difficult for those of us who were not in the Pilot with you to determine if the tranny slipped or not. You might take the Pilot to a tranny shop and have them take a test drive with you.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm not really asking what is causing the slippage (if thats what it is). It seems as though every question on this forum is answered with "have you done 3x drain and fill and what brand fluid do you use?" I am trying to figure out if what I experienced was in fact the transmission slipping. I use DW-1 and I understand a lot of people use Valvoline MaxLife. I am choosing to continue using DW 1 at this time. Thank you.
I switched to the maxlife i found it didnt last as long as the DW1 fluid the hard shifting came back quicker ..once I switched back to the DW1 the hard shifting went away

That's true slippage can also mean when driving you will hear the engine go to a high rev and watch the tack stay a lot longer when you know from experience it should have switched gears already then suddenly it jerks ahead and the tranny goes back to normal

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was driving on the highway this past weekend and there were a few times I had to accelerate quite quickly. I would essentially floor it, the RPMs would go up a little bit before it would downshift. Is this the transmission doing some slipping? It just seems a bit sluggish when I need quick speed.
Jack, if you were cruising at a steady speed, then most likely the torque converter was in lockup mode. When you hit the gas, the computer unlocks the TC before downshifting. If this is your scenario, it's not slipping, it's not really a shift flare. A downshift is a 2 or 3 step process, and Hondas can feel a little sluggish. If it bothers you, bring it to a trusted mechanic for his opinion.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jack, if you were cruising at a steady speed, then most likely the torque converter was in lockup mode. When you hit the gas, the computer unlocks the TC before downshifting. If this is your scenario, it's not slipping, it's not really a shift flare. A downshift is a 2 or 3 step process, and Hondas can feel a little sluggish. If it bothers you, bring it to a trusted mechanic for his opinion.
Thank you! This is what I was assuming. I just put a VCM Muzzler on my car and it is already improving things quite a bit. Next on the list is engine and transmission mounts.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You have to decide if this is "normal" Honda sluggishness, or something else. And I know that you are tired of hearing this, but when in doubt, do another drain and fill. If the solenoids and valve bodies are a bit gunky, fresh fluid helps. It really is needed in a Honda transmission.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to decide if this is "normal" Honda sluggishness, or something else. And I know that you are tired of hearing this, but when in doubt, do another drain and fill. If the solenoids and valve bodies are a bit gunky, fresh fluid helps. It really is needed in a Honda transmission.
4 drain and fills seems a bit excessive.
On a random note, are there any other brands of rebuilt or other transmissions besides Jasper? I know they're good but they're quite pricey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts