Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Highly-Desirable" DVD option....is it worth the wait?

  • Yes it is, my friend. Yes it is.

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Uhm, surely you jest. It\'s not worth your time.

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I\'m undecided. Actually, I was kinda wondering that myself.

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I don\'t want it in the first place.

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • The answer is Italy, Bob. Italy.

    Votes: 1 4.5%

  • Total voters
    22
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on the DVD option? I'm currently waiting about 3 months (at least) for mine. I checked it out in the demo, but now I'm wondering.

s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
strip slashes...

It would appear as though the poll needs some strip slash action. Moderator, could you hook us up with some magical code tweaks?

Thanks.
s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
DVD Wait

For us the DVD was a given. Our wait was due more to the desired color. Havasu Blue. I have been following the threads on the after market units and it appears that with a diligent amount of research on your part you could almost do as well in the aftermarket. Consider this. It costs you exactly $1500 from Honda. It is fully integrated into the system. When you insert the DVD, (or CD) it automatically shuts of the three rear speakers. All you would really miss is the sub-woofer. You still have 4 speakers in the front. This is a nice feature for the folks in the back on the headsets. Also, you have some control over the DVD from the front, and it is a nice package. Also, bear in mind that this system is included in the warranty, (at least that is what I was told) Do the aftermarket people offer a three year warranty. If so, it will most likely cost extra.

On the flip side, if you decide on the after-market route, you will be able to design the system to your tastes. For some that is a big consideration. And it should be pointed out that some have passed on the DVD in favor of the in-dash DVD Navi, and the aftermarket DVD entertainment package. Finally, if the unit craps out, you just pull it out and send it back. Pros and cons both ways to be sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DVD vs. color...

When we went in for our deposit, color was not a big deal. We love the sagebrush, but we wanted to get our Pilot as soon as possible, so we offered a couple of alternative colors. They said:

"Well, you might as well stick to the color you want. It's the DVD that we are waiting on, color doesn't matter."

Apparently we are 13th on the list for the DVD option. Unfortunately, they only get about 2-4 of those a month. We're working our way down, but it is a slow and painful process.

Don't get me wrong, I'm into the DVD system (game console, iPod MP3 player, wireless headphones, etc.). I just have a lot of time on my hands and I start to analyze the one thing that is causing that to be the case.

Interesting to see what people say about it though.

Anybody have any reviews of the headphones? Do they even work, or are they just window dressing?

s.
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
Re: strip slashes...

shartwig said:
It would appear as though the poll needs some strip slash action. Moderator, could you hook us up with some magical code tweaks?

Thanks.
s.
Oddly enough, it won't let me strip slashes. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
strip slashes...

That is odd indeed. Oh well. I'll just have to be more careful when I put polls together.

Thanks for the quick response.
s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I go back and forth on this - when I bought my Pilot (dealer stock) I could have picked up a Sandstone with DVD, a Sandstone with Nav, a Taffeta White with cloth, an Evergreen Pearl EX-L or the Redrock Pearl EX-L

Although I loved the Sandstone I went with the Redrock because I wanted leather (which ruled out the very nice white) and we already had a green SUV (have sold it since). With 8 weeks to go to my first child I didn't see the need as I will probably be shopping for a new car by the time the kid is 3 - maybe in that vehicle.

If you have kids that can enjoy it and don;t mind paying for it I say go for it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Why wait when you can buy aftermarket DVD. More options to choose from - bigger screen and better picture quality IMHO.

Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lease = factory goodness.

pilot4me said:
Why wait when you can buy aftermarket DVD. More options to choose from - bigger screen and better picture quality IMHO.
That's a good point. I'll never complain about a bigger screen or better quality. However, one reason I am favoring factory equipment right now is that I might be leasing the vehicle (for business use). My family comes along on a lot of my business trips, so the DVD would be appreciated in those situations. Having factory equipment on the vehicle just seems more lease friendly than a lot of customization.

s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
I am very happy with my DVD

I have the factory installed DVD, and IMO the screen quality/ease of use/design all get a big :29: :29: :29: from me.

The headphones work great, and after you sit down and concentrate on learning the ins and outs of the system for just a couple of hours, it is very user frienly.

I am surprised at the wait. Have you checked other dealers for their allotments? 3 months seems a little long to me...

Either way you go, factory or aftermarket, you will absolutely love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: I am very happy with my DVD

catbert said:
I am surprised at the wait. Have you checked other dealers for their allotments? 3 months seems a little long to me...
Yes that would seem to make sense wouldn't it? Well, unfortunately, my mother-in-law works at this dealership and we get extra-special service as a result. We've bought cars there for the last 7 years, and we will continue to be loyal until something goes wrong. Add in the MSRP, them being right in town, and it just barely makes sense to wait.

When the snow falls (for all I know that will be next week, here in SD), it might be a different story.

s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
DVD Option

I have the DVD option in pilot I brought last Saturday. I love it sounds just like you have a home theater package in the truck. 03-Pilot/DVD/Crossbars/Mudguards/Wheel Locks/Traffeta White
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
DVD Option

I have the DVD option in pilot I brought last Saturday. I love it sounds just like you have a home theater package in the truck. 03-Pilot/DVD/Crossbars/Mudguards/Wheel Locks/Traffeta White/Leather
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Cost vs removability & function

I am not a fan of the factory RES. I am a fan of the Nav.

Basically, I try to reason this out in my own head as such:

Even though both are highly susceptible to "technological obsolence" the Nav is at least focused on the driver and is almost a safety factor. Just like you know you should have maps and autoclub info in your vehicle at all times, often when most needed you don't have it.

Conversely, the DVD is the kind of thing that you would certainly double check before embarking on an outing. There may be times when you definately DO NOT want the DVD.

Another excellent point is that FEATURES of the Nav rank it among the finest units available anywhere. The features of the RES are not really any better than an aftermarket unit, a portable, or even a laptop computer. Granted, the INTEGRATION is worth something, and if you desire to have an "attached to the vehicle unit" the factory unit may make more sense, especially on leased Pilots.

Given that, the cost of the RES is too high. Somewhat like the premium that once was collected on factory moonroof vehicles, the RES is not price competive with the alternatives. The $1500 would pay for TWO portable DVDs with similar size screens. It would more than pay for a COMPLETELY custom install. It could totally pay for a run-of-the-mill PC. It would be a nice down payment on a state-of-art PowerBook or similar top-of-line portable computer. All of those alternative (save the custom install) would also offer me more ultility, though I'm sure that others have a completely different set of priorities and I would not presume to suggest my needs are typical.

In the future, the DVD option will likely become more afforable (just like moonroof) while I would predict the Nav option will always be about the same upcharge, but will grow in functionality (the 03 MDX already is slated to have a rear view TV camera play through the Nav screen, as well as voice controls -- I can envision a "park only" video input {for reviewing home videos, portable DVD use}, additional computerized integration {homelink, e-mail/paging} or traffic info) for future systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Re: Cost vs removability & function

renov8r said:

but will grow in functionality (the 03 MDX already is slated to have a rear view TV camera play through the Nav screen
I believe the Pilot also offers the same option, isn't it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Re: Re: Cost vs removability & function

ksraja said:


I believe the Pilot also offers the same option, isn't it ?
The rear view camera is an option you can purchase for Pilots with NAV. I guess they are implying the MDX will come with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
I actually chose the RES over the NAV for exactly the same arguements that Renov8r mentions but you have to swap the word NAV for RES and RES for NAV in my justification. To me, the integration of RES into the factory head unit was paramount. Laptops and portable DVD units are no substitute, just as those who chose NAV feel that GPS devices (cheap, portable) are not suitable replacements for NAV. In my mind Garmin GPS was more useful and cost effective, plus I could take it hiking or on a motorcycle trip (similar to the arguement that you can take a portable DVD player into a hotel room). Throw in the fact that Kentucky is a big black hole for NAV software but covered extremely well for GPS and it suddenly became an easy decision for me. I also wouldn't agree that both are subject to being obsolete in the context of an auto purchase. I feel this is true for NAV in that they could make some big changes in the next few years, but DVD is pretty much locked in as the VHS replacement and will be here for a very long time. There are new DVD technologies out there, but I expect them to either die on the vine or be utilized in a niche application (remember, beta was better than VHS, but VHS had the following).

I do see the pros/cons for both and it really just comes down to what's important to you. I just think it's funny that the pros cons that each side uses are nearly identical, but switched 180 degrees.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
No surprise...

Like I said, this is one of those "highly personal" choices!


xyzzy said:
I actually chose the RES over the NAV for exactly the same arguements that Renov8r mentions but you have to swap the word NAV for RES and RES for NAV in my justification. To me, the integration of RES into the factory head unit was paramount. Laptops and portable DVD units are no substitute, just as those who chose NAV feel that GPS devices (cheap, portable) are not suitable replacements for NAV. In my mind Garmin GPS was more useful and cost effective, plus I could take it hiking or on a motorcycle trip (similar to the arguement that you can take a portable DVD player into a hotel room). Throw in the fact that Kentucky is a big black hole for NAV software but covered extremely well for GPS and it suddenly became an easy decision for me. I also wouldn't agree that both are subject to being obsolete in the context of an auto purchase. I feel this is true for NAV in that they could make some big changes in the next few years, but DVD is pretty much locked in as the VHS replacement and will be here for a very long time. There are new DVD technologies out there, but I expect them to either die on the vine or be utilized in a niche application (remember, beta was better than VHS, but VHS had the following).

I do see the pros/cons for both and it really just comes down to what's important to you. I just think it's funny that the pros cons that each side uses are nearly identical, but switched 180 degrees.

Chris
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top