Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you seen a Highlander lately? In my opinion, it is the most good looking SUV on the road right now. It may even be so good looking that it has a sleek minivan-ish look rather than a rugged SUV look.

This is not a criticism, merely an observation.

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catbert said:
You might like this link from last summer on the similarities, or lack of, between the Pilot and Highlander.
Thanks catbert!

My observation was based on looking at the highlander while driving the Pilot. I never really looked at them next to each other. The pictures in the thread you suggested speaks for themselves.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You know, I love the boxy look of the Pilot. I know a lot of people knock its "boring" styling, but I just think it looks classic.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sorry, I'd have to disagree. I just think the Highlander has too many curvy lines and contours clashing with its straight lines. There's no balance. I think it's the ugliest from the front. I think the best looking SUV right now is the X. The difference between that and the Highlander is, while both certainly look more roundish than the Pilot, the X achieves that with careful manipulation of straight lines thus having a cleaner look, whereas the Highlander doesn't.

I even think the Pilot looks better that the Highlander. I know many have said that the Pilot's look is very bland, but disagree. There are no forced conjunctions between straight lines and curves but at the sametime, it's not just all straight lines looking like a bunch of rectangular metal sheets just put together, such as the Explorer. The Pilot just has a more natural flow in the look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it certainly applies in this case :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are all entitled to our own opinion, I respect yours. If you are talking about curves, straight lines and contours, then you may have looked at a highlander very closely, I have not. My opinion was based at looking at highlander while driving on the road, and I meant to compare SUVs around $30K range.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
RipRocK said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it certainly applies in this case :)
Nope, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder (since we're talking about curves and contours)!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
kemosabe said:
Nope, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder (since we're talking about curves and contours)!!
OMG, kemosabe, this is simply too funny :2: However, I have a feeling that the admin's gonna dispose of the pic real quick. Remember what happened with some of those priceless pics? But I've got it saved already though :D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
RipRocK said:

OMG, kemosabe, this is simply too funny :2: However, I have a feeling that the admin's gonna dispose of the pic real quick. Remember what happened with some of those priceless pics? But I've got it saved already though :D
You're probably right, RipRocK... that's why I made a slight modification to it so now it should be rated PG-13... thanks for the warning!! :29:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
tracy said:
You know, I love the boxy look of the Pilot. I know a lot of people knock its "boring" styling, but I just think it looks classic.
Yeah, I definitely agree. I don't think the Pilot is as boxy as say the Explorer or the Suburban, but I can see how a quick glance or a observation from a distance might leave that impression.

Even when looking at the doors on the Pilot, it angles outward gently from the base of the windows and then trails off, ending with a soft line. Then when you go down to where the body mouldings are, once again you see the subtle convex delineations between which the mouldings are placed. Those coutours really help to make the mouldings look more natural on the door. Most cars with body mouldings as big as the Pilot look as though they were just glued on the doors as an after thought and their placements were never carefully considered.

I like the look of the hood on the Pilot also. At first I thought the curves were too deep or too big on it and would've looked better with something akin to the look of a CR-V hood, but I quickly I realized that those curves makes the Pilot look more aggressive, especially when looked at from the front.

Crikey!! I just went on and went didn't I? But that's the way I really feel about the look and exterior design of the Pilot. I compared photos from different angles of many SUV's before I started going from dealer to dealer to test drive them. It was a pleasant surprise when the Pilot looked much better in real life than from the pictures.

·
Registered
207 Posts
IMHO, I don't like the horizontal crease above the rear wheels of the Highlander - reminds me of a Forester :16:

Agree with RipRocK, the X is best!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
RipRocK said:

Yeah, I definitely agree. I don't think the Pilot is as boxy as say the Explorer or the Suburban, but I can see how a quick glance or a observation from a distance might leave that impression.
That's funny, because I like the looks of the Explorer too. I'd never own the thing, but I like the way it looks. I prefer that simple boxy look to the more swoopy, stylized-and-cladded GMs and the like. But then, I like vanilla better than chocolate too. :p

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
boiler1991 said:
Subie's are great and the look of the Forester is one of a kind!
I have to agree with the comments on Subies. I have had 5 of them and other than being a little disapointed in the Justy, I was very happy with each. Very low maintenance. If I was in the market for a smaller SUV, the Forrester would be my top pick.

rod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts