Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
Now that winter is here I have noticed the heater or higher temp control puts out a "funky" odor sometimes. I know what things y'all are probably thinking right now: She has Thanksgiving leftovers in back seat - Nope. Her Pilot is a rolling trash can - Nope. I also don't have pets or kids.

It is not a completely gross out stink, just a not-what-I-want-coming-out-of-vents smell.
any ideas?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have had my Pilot for a month now, and the system has no smell to it, just the new car smell.. Could someone have dumped something down your outside vents? eggs, fish etc? I know I may be jumping the gun here, but I have had this happen to a friend of mine, and it took him a month to figure out what happened.. Someone put fish in his vents!! ahhhhhh middle of summer too...

rob

·
Registered
89 Posts
gopilot, nah, nobody would ever put anything organic in the heater vents of a car. Ashley are you running the heater on with the recirculated air feature? IMHO try this, when the car is not running, spray Febreeze down the front vents and hit the mats in case they might have the stench too. good luck:)

·
Registered
991 Posts
shepilot said:
gopilot, nah, nobody would ever put anything organic in the heater vents of a car. Ashley are you running the heater on with the recirculated air feature? IMHO try this, when the car is not running, spray Febreeze down the front vents and hit the mats in case they might have the stench too. good luck:)
"Nobody would ever put anything organic down the vents of a car?"How do you know this? Do you know how many times I have heard this? hey you never know, it's very easy to pour "anything" down in the vents.

Fact is it is probably not the case but worth checking.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pew

I have had mice in mine a number of times. I have found them in various areas of the car, including the headliner. I've also had to unload lots of acorns from inside various parts of the car.

Don't know if that's what it is but when I took mine in they showed me where they were entering the car (under the hood). Also told me rodent work is $80 per hour.

They leave behind trails of rodent stuff that smells. Or worse if one croaks inside, and I hate to tell you this, but you pretty much have to torch the car.

The dealer knows where to check, it's under the black plastic cover under the windshield wipers.

Good luck

·
Registered
288 Posts
gopilot said:

"Nobody would ever put anything organic down the vents of a car?"How do you know this? Do you know how many times I have heard this? hey you never know, it's very easy to pour "anything" down in the vents.

Fact is it is probably not the case but worth checking.
It's all true.Happened to a friend of mine.Dead mouse stuck in his.Pwheee.

·
Registered
89 Posts
shepilot said:
gopilot, nah, nobody would ever put anything organic in the heater vents of a car.
I should have finished this with...Yeah, right. A poor attempt at a little sarcasm :eek: gopilot, you're right, 'it's very easy to pour "anything" down in the vents'. Unfortunately, it can happen. I referred to the Febreeze because I had a terrible smell in a car recently. Darling baby left milk cup in car, which rolled under seat and wasn't found for 1+ week. Talk about a disgusting, putrid stink. Yuk!. Milk cup removed, but stink remained. It was easily removed with some febreeze. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ashley,

This may not apply to your vehicle, but the owner's manual actually has a paragraph that cautions against placing the climate control in the "off" position, as this may cause mildew in the system, which can produce an odor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, the mildew thing happened in my friend's Integra.. she used the vent (not A/C) on recirculate all the time.. after a while, it just started to smell like urine or something..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, as some of the other board members have mentioned, it's probably caused by mold and mildew in your system.

It's especially problematic on cars like the VW Golf where the condensation from AC unit stays in a pan where it can stagnate.

The trick is to leave the fan running with AC OFF for a little while to carry away the moisture before turning your car off (e.g. turn off AC for a while before u reach home).

This probably won't help you now, so what you can do is to flush out the AC system with some specialty foam products etc and change the filter - if you donno how to do it dealer should be able to help.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad to see someone else posting about this. I'm having that problem also. The smell is hard to describe, sometimes like a slight burning odor and other times like a "funky" odor as Ashley described. It's definitely not mildew or something in the vents and it just started after the weather got colder and I started setting the temperature on the system up above 75 degrees. It's really noticeable above 82 degrees. I suspect that it might be some kind of electrical problem that hasn't been uncovered yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HVAC fan

I have an LX.
The fan switch adjusts the speed of the fan, but when I turn it fully CCW, it does not turn off the fan. The manual indicates that it should turn off. It continues to hum merrily along. Is this normal?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have also noticed an occasional burning smell coming from the vents. I thought maybe I had the heat turned up too high and the rubber mats were starting to melt/burn. I'll have to investigate this further!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts