Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my '03 insurance pack the Honda Passport EX-L for '02 and '03 is listed as a "High-Theft" vehicle.

Does anyone know if they still make that?

I have a feeling they are refering to the Pilot.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Heard they were stopping on '01

My dealer had a "02 on his showroom floor (With BIG discounts).

I don't know, but my AlllState insurance comprehensive is in line, so I don't seem to be paying a premium. (And I have $0 deductable on Comprehensive)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I believe the 02' was the last year for the Passport. When I was starting to look into the Pilot I read a bunch of reviews and remember something from1 of them saying the Pilot replaced the Passport.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I went from a 98 Dodge stratus to the pilot and am paying $20/month extra on insurance. THe increase did not seem to high for the price different in the 2 cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Passport is history. Pilot replaced it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
jrichter09 said:
The Passport is history. Pilot replaced it.
Thank GOD! So uncharacteristically Honda to swap badges like that.
Can't wait to see the TRUCK based on the Pilot!

·
Registered
240 Posts
We used to own a Passport EX-L. It was a '99. It was also the biggest POS on the planet. After 8 service visits for the same issue (vibration in the steering wheel from a faulty drive shaft), Honda bought it back from me and I got into a new Accord Coupe. It was heaven!:p ;)

I'm already missing the Pilot.:( My wife and I just got the new Accord this morning.:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Insurance

Well this is Massachusetts and all that, some insurance companies won't write car insurance here. I know State farm will not.

The policy mentions an exemption from the high risk premium if there is a class III or IV anti theft device but doesn't go on to define them. I don't know what the Pilot system is.

Incidentally, each line item that refers to bodily injury, personal injury, damage to someones else's property, medical payments, etc is less than the same item for the Explorer.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Insurance

lamuncha said:

Incidentally, each line item that refers to bodily injury, personal injury, damage to someones else's property, medical payments, etc is less than the same item for the Explorer.
So which lines are higher?

Tell your Insurance company it has anti-theft, and you assume it is Class III or Class IV unless they prove it is not! :2:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
airgate said:
We used to own a Passport EX-L. It was a '99. It was also the biggest POS on the planet. After 8 service visits for the same issue (vibration in the steering wheel from a faulty drive shaft), Honda bought it back from me and I got into a new Accord Coupe. It was heaven!:p ;)

I'm already missing the Pilot.:( My wife and I just got the new Accord this morning.:D
Oh no! Seller's regret? Maybe you can add a Pilot to your stable later when they work out all the bugs...just keep hanging out here and be "up" on the latest. At least you have a gorgeous new Honda and didn't step down into a pile of domestic poop. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rates

The higher line items are the ones related to collision, repair and replacement, which makes sense 'cause the Pilot is newer.

I think the insurance company, through the premiums, is saying the Pilot is a better designed vehicle in terms of safety.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Would the Pilot be an easy vehicle to steal?

How easy is it easy for a thief to bypass the anti-theft feature pertaining to the chip in the key and start system? Even if you don't have a matching key, is it relatively easy to just bust the steering column, pull out some wires and hotwire it?

I thought generally, Honda and Toyota cars were not that high on the theft list?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Would the Pilot be an easy vehicle to steal?

RipRocK said:
How easy is it easy for a thief to bypass the anti-theft feature pertaining to the chip in the key and start system? Even if you don't have a matching key, is it relatively easy to just bust the steering column, pull out some wires and hotwire it?

I thought generally, Honda and Toyota cars were not that high on the theft list?
Its real easy till you realize the fuel injection will not turn on without the proper coded chip being within a few inches of the pickup coil (That you probably destroyed in the process)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Theft

The list I have has all the Acura 's including MDX the Accord, Prelude, S2000, and Passport.

I think the interchangeability of parts from year to year make them a big target.

I'm not sure about the anti theft thing and getting around it. Just back a flatbed up and Zoom.

Then again we are talking about insurance companies creating these lists for their own benefit, supposedly from historical numbers and stats.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4-wheel

N_Jay
On an unrelated point. I thought I had the drive train down pat until I read through a few comments.

Does the Pilot just have front and rear drive or does the system proportion the power to individual wheels?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilot 4WD in simple terms

To way over simplify the Pilot 4WD system - - -
(this is a disclaimer to head off all people who will provide more accurate, and more confusing information)

The Pilot is traditional front wheel drive with direct power sent to the rear drive assembly.

There is no front/rear differential.

The Rear drive assembly can connect or disconnect that power to each wheel independantly through a set of electrically opperated clutches under computer control.

When one of the clutches is fully closed, the wheel it controls will turn at the same speed as the average of the two front wheels.

When the Clutch is fully open the wheel will turn free.

With both clutches fully closed it works like a locked rear differential (Both wheel turn at the same speed under all conditions. This is why the VTM-4 Lock button is only for low speeds on loose surfaces.

The computer can vary the force on the clutch to allow it to pass power to the wheel but allow some slippage. (Personally I doubt that this happens much as the clutch life would be short if it did)

Now the hard part;
"Does the system proportion the power to individual wheels"

Yes, in a manner to the rears, but not between the fronts.
As for front back split, the power is applied to both evenly as long as neither clutch is open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts