Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Sat to go to work. Took a few min for the engine to turn over and then every light on my dash lit up. Dash showed emissions error, engine system error, fuel system error, etc. Tried a new battery..no change. Dealer is saying the high pressure fuel pump needs replaced. Just curious if this is a known issue? After researching the failures, we saw a large amount of fuel injector issues but not this. We had a torque converter issue fixed (drained and replaced the transmission fluid) and an oil change in Oct. When we picked the car up, we immediately noticed a strong odor similar to propane or sulfur on the way home. Dealer said it wasn’t happening when they worked on the other issue. Returned it, they couldn’t locate the source but wanted us to pay $300 to “try a few things”...we refused. My local family mechanic couldn’t find a thing. The smell has never left but we’ve had no power or driving issues prior to Sat, when everything failed. Could any of this be related? Was there a recall or is it a known issue? Should I contact Honda! Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
There is a TSB and warranty extension to replace fuel injectors. This sounds like a different problem though, as I've never heard of anyone having trouble starting before needing that fix. Usually it crops up as a surprise misfire code. What year is your car? Do you have any warranty left?

How many miles do you have? The transmission fluid needs to be changed regularly on this car (spec is every 30k miles, but many do twice as often) as the fluid burns up easily and will cause torque convertor to slip more. Also, highly recommended you buy a VCM Tuner II or SVCM to disable the Variable Cylinder Management system (VCM) which is part of the cause of the transmission and torque convertor strain.

The smell could be spilled transmission fluid burning. A few of us have noticed this smell after changing the transmission fluid but haven't been able to pin it down or fix it. I would try to get the dealer to cover the fix since it started on their watch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts