Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP...At 45-75mph high pitch wind noise (sounds like mice) originating from driver side wind shield, most likely due to crosswind and Poor design. Drives everyone in car Mad.
Note: I have no dealer installed or after market accessories on vehicle and windows, door and hood are and is completely closed. Considering selling vehicle at what ever the cost. I owned Accord before and loved it, afraid relationship is over. Filed for Lemon law, filed NHTSA complaint and am very disappointed thus far. Desire not to crank the radio up so loud that you can't think or hold a conversation.
ANY suggestions would be welcomed...PS... am considering a wind deflector not for style but to aid in preventing noise...where do you get a custom fit?

·
Registered
725 Posts
A Little Extreme.....

Sheez, a high pitched wind noise and you've filed a Lemon Law and a complaint with NSTSA! That seems a little extreme to me.

Have you asked your dealer for help????

As far as a lemon law, you're going to have to have the same problem fixed several times within a certain period of time before your PILOT will fall under the Lemon Law.

You may just have a bad window seal in a portion of the windshield, but it doesn't sound like a major deal to fix.

Try working with your dealer before getting your blood pressure up so quickly.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...I tend to be pretty particular and still believe that 30k should buy you a reasonably decent auto...I'm sched. for a dealer workup and a free loaner by Honda corp (squeaky wheel). I honestly hope the prob. can be fixed.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The door latches may need to be adjusted to obtain a tighter, better fit when closed.

It could also be a bad door seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try anything at this point...

I will say here on the East Coast its snowing and moving about in the HP is pretty sweet, however, Its hard to tell but maybe I've limited the problem...
I've noticed under the hood in the area of interest near the driver pillar there is quite alot of vacant space, some of it would and may allow for whistling to occur up via the pillars and the number of other holes. I've temporarily taking insulation from pipes (the black stuff) and crammed it in all of the obvious spaces that may allow wind to tunnel and therefor...whistle. The wind shield seems intact as well as do most of all the joints. (I spent 4 hours one day with electrical tape trying to isolate the area on the side with the problem, step by step, area by area and joint by joint. Bringing the car up to speed until I was able to illicit the same noise, pull over and add another piece and repeat. I know tedious and anal, but thats how my mama made me...it appeared to eliminate the whole door, mirror, grill, windshield and wipers and could only lead to the structure, specifically the pillars. So far, not a sound...
it is however, snowing and i'm unable to do a complete road test to test out my solution, I will post once I do and hopefully it will be corrected.
I figure with all that cash spent on my education I could at least initiate a "rule out" process, for Christ Sakes, it shouldn't't be rocket science, I figure if some Clown with a GED at my Honda dealer is going to try to isolate the problem, I stand a better chance than he does.:eek: :7::27: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got 2003 Pilot. Nice ride.
I have similar issue. At around 75mph I am getting a low frequency hum/resonance. It is annoying. If I slow down resonance goes away.I have also noticed that vent has something to do with it. If vent is on at full going 75mph resonance is much worse, but no noise if vent on at full going at lower speeds. Bizarre!
I have searched Acura MDX.org and 2003 MDX owners having same isssue.

Any thoughts.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
ahilyaqc80 said:
Just got 2003 Pilot. Nice ride.
I have similar issue. At around 75mph I am getting a low frequency hum/resonance. It is annoying. If I slow down resonance goes away.I have also noticed that vent has something to do with it. If vent is on at full going 75mph resonance is much worse, but no noise if vent on at full going at lower speeds. Bizarre!
I have searched Acura MDX.org and 2003 MDX owners having same isssue.

Any thoughts.
Thanks
That IS bizarre! Can't help you there but wanted to WELCOME you to the board and congratulate you on your new Pilot!
Care to give us the details? Color, options, etc?

When you get a chance, stop over and say hello to Havasu. She's keeping the member's Pilot info in a table, including a code for problems. Here's the thread...

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921

Safe Piloting!! :29:

·
Registered
449 Posts
grand said:
HELP...At 45-75mph high pitch wind noise (sounds like mice) originating from driver side wind shield, most likely due to crosswind and Poor design. Drives everyone in car Mad.
Note: I have no dealer installed or after market accessories on vehicle and windows, door and hood are and is completely closed. Considering selling vehicle at what ever the cost. I owned Accord before and loved it, afraid relationship is over. Filed for Lemon law, filed NHTSA complaint and am very disappointed thus far. Desire not to crank the radio up so loud that you can't think or hold a conversation.
ANY suggestions would be welcomed...PS... am considering a wind deflector not for style but to aid in preventing noise...where do you get a custom fit?
Do you have the crossbars in your roof rack? It has been reported that installing these backwards can make a similar sound.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
noisy, loud pilot of crap

windsheild make much noise, most unhappy, seek attention, send help, all unhappy, poor choice on vehicle, would rather drive dog sled. any advice?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts