Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to pick something up at the store as my family waited in the Pilot, I heard a high pitch squealing sound coming from the engine and I told my wife to turn the engine off. I also saw some smoke coming out of the front grill area. Started the car again and noticed that AC wasn't blowing cold air. Went to Costco to get some gas and I noticed that the temperature had gone up while we were waiting in line and also on our way out. When we started driving and got onto the freeway, the temp went down and AC was blowing cold again.

We made our way to our destination and the location was hilly and there was traffic, the temp went almost all the way to the top "H", at this point I pulled over and let the Pilot cool down, I think I could hear the coolant or fluid boiling in the engine bay??

I'm taking the Pilot into the dealer tomorrow but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone had any input based on what I've described. We changed the timing belt, water pump back in August when the Pilot had 203k miles.

Thank you in advance.

JP

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,471 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is a really loose belt. Tensioner may have failed

Second thing that comes to mine is the AC Compressor/clutch getting ready to fail sporadically locking up.

Third thing is you got a faulty water pump.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,510 Posts
Did you notice if the radiator fan and the AC fan were spinning?
Did the smoke smell like burnt rubber or did it smell electrical?

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If your engine was cooling going down the highway (air being pushed through the radiator), then you can rest that it's not your water pump. Sounds like a cooling fan motor is toast.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took my Pilot to the grocery store today, it made that sound again, caught my neighbor by surprise. Hearing it again, it sounds like a blender turning on for a few seconds...

I checked the belt and it isn't loose, it has tension.

The AC wasn't all that cold when idle, but got back to normal when back on the road.

As for the fans, I don't think they turned on at all. I warmed up the car and put the AC up all the way and they never turned on, I checked after getting back from the store and the fans still were not on. When should the fans turn on? I remember going to a drive in theater and they kept turning on.. As for the burning smell, I'd probably say it smelled more like burned rubber rather than electrical burning...

Thanks in advance.

JP

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,510 Posts
When you turn the A/C on the passenger side fan should turn on immediately. When the coolant temperature rises above some temperature threshold (somewhere between middle and high high on the gauge) the driver side fan will turn on. It almost sounds like the fans are not turning on since the A/C gets cooler and the engine temperature decreases when you start driving.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
So I took my Pilot to the grocery store today, it made that sound again, caught my neighbor by surprise. Hearing it again, it sounds like a blender turning on for a few seconds...

I checked the belt and it isn't loose, it has tension.

The AC wasn't all that cold when idle, but got back to normal when back on the road.

As for the fans, I don't think they turned on at all. I warmed up the car and put the AC up all the way and they never turned on, I checked after getting back from the store and the fans still were not on. When should the fans turn on? I remember going to a drive in theater and they kept turning on.. As for the burning smell, I'd probably say it smelled more like burned rubber rather than electrical burning...

Thanks in advance.

JP
You say that you hear a blender sound. Is there a chance there is something caught up in your fan(s) blades or blades hitting the shroud? With the engine off. Inspect and see if cooling fans free spin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts