Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles on your 2nd gen Pilot? Any over 200k or 300k miles? What repairs have been needed so far?

2009 EXL has 166K mi. Items that failed: Alternator, O2 sensor, exhaust flex pipe, Rear shocks

·
Registered
543 Posts
160k or so on our 2010 EXL and bigger items done were front control arm bushings, front struts, alternator, bad tube seals, bad TB tensioner (after original changed) and front thermostatic expansion valve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Currently sitting at 192k and the motor mounts have been the only big issue since I have purchased it (127k)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
2009 Touring, 206K miles

Just did the timing belt for the second time. Has needed lower control arms, alternator, bunch of low-dollar smaller things which were easy to diagnose and easy to fix.

Still making that horrible cold startup moan - anybody ever figure that out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
2009 Touring, 206K miles

Just did the timing belt for the second time. Has needed lower control arms, alternator, bunch of low-dollar smaller things which were easy to diagnose and easy to fix.

That’s a starter. I had the exact same noise and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2009 LX, 175k, control arm, struts, rear shocks, rear engine mount, wiper motor, rear fan mode control, TB, replaced vinyl on driver/passenger side and mid console with aftermarket leather from eBay. Oh installed VCMuzzler2 no more stupid shuddering with poorly designed VCM. Other than that, still a solid rig!

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s a starter. I had the exact same noise and was replaced under warranty.

I got my 2011 a year ago. The starter did the same exact thing some mornings in the winter. It's started to do it again. Do you know how much it affects the life of the starter? I'm obviously not under a warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I from what I understood was it is the gears which grind. It is similar to noise will happen if you try restart a running car. It will definitely affect it. I suggest to replace the starter if you plan to keep it long.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got my 2011 a year ago. The starter did the same exact thing some mornings in the winter. It's started to do it again. Do you know how much it affects the life of the starter? I'm obviously not under a warranty.
Our 2008 Accord did that on some mornings for 5+ years...... waited for the starter to crash, but never did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 Touring, 206K miles

My 2009 Pilot was making noise on cold startup when winter started if left to cool for more than a couple of hours (lm in Canada)
As a test I got a hot air gun and warmed the starter motor solenoid for about a minute and this stopped the start up noise so I replaced the starter motor and now it is fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2009 Pilot was making noise on cold startup when winter started if left to cool for more than a couple of hours (lm in Canada)
As a test I got a hot air gun and warmed the starter motor solenoid for about a minute and this stopped the start up noise so I replaced the starter motor and now it is fine.
thanks for the tip, I may do that just to positively convince myself its the starter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine does the same thing, sporadically.
I suspect the starter pinion is not retracting quickly enough once the engine starts, and the running engine is "dragging/forcing" the starter motor up to a higher rpm.

I will disassemble, clean and lube the pinion plunger mechanism....see what happens...I know these can get very dirty/gritty.
In my experience dirt/grit/lack of lube is why the starter fails to turn the motor, usually temporarily fixed by a tap with a hammer while someone holds the the key in the "start" position. The tap is enough vibration to break the plunger free and let the electromagnet move it into the start postition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lower control arm bushings has been the biggest thing. Interior is trashed, but its a commuting vehicle for me. I'll drive it until something expensive goes wrong!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts