Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many out there have high mileage (over 130K) and have not had any engine or transmission problems with there VCM engine. (VCM NOT disabled). Just curious.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
How many out there have high mileage (over 130K) and have not had any engine or transmission problems with there VCM engine. (VCM NOT disabled). Just curious.
I made it to 180k on a Crosstour without the VCM disabled. I had to replace the catalytic converters because I could no longer ignore the P0420/P0430 codes. That bought me another 30k miles or so until the emission codes were back on again. Thats when I found Piloteers.org and learned about VCM disabling. After driving a short period of time with the VCM disabled, the codes were gone and continue to be gone at 264k miles.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I made it to 180k on a Crosstour without the VCM disabled. I had to replace the catalytic converters because I could no longer ignore the P0420/P0430 codes. That bought me another 30k miles or so until the emission codes were back on again.
Which converters did you use for the replacements?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
That stupid "ECO" light coming on in the dash of my 2009 always startled me from day 1 and I dealt with it for 12 years. After reading about the S-VCM here I figured I'd put one in just to disable that annoying feature, this was about a month ago. The Pilot had gone about 210,000 miles without anything happening that I could blame on the VCM.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
If you made it to 180K miles on a Crosstour with the original OEM converters, then why did the replacements only work for 30K miles or so?
Good question, got a theory?
This car was going to auction if I couldn't figure out how to fix it. Glad I found this forum for a solution. Decided to stay a while and try to return the favor.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Good question, got a theory?
If the VCM-defeat device supposedly tricks the PCM into thinking the engine is running colder than it actually is, then wouldn't that result in a richer fuel mixture always being burned?
Would that, in turn, shorten converter life?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
If the VCM-defeat device supposedly tricks the PCM into thinking the engine is running colder than it actually is, then wouldn't that result in a richer fuel mixture always being burned?
Would that, in turn, shorten converter life?
I believe there’s a different ECT sensor that is used for that so it’s not a concern. But to be honest, I’ve always wondered if tricking the car into thinking it’s cooler than it is has any negative impact on other parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts