Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but ask for less

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my license in a couple days and am looking for my first car. One I saw was a 2004 Honda Pilot with 200k miles on it selling for 2grand. It claims to have the original engine and transmission and no mechanical problems. The interior and exterior looks very clean so I can assume it was maintained well. Would the high mileage and age be a problem or do you think this would be a good investment?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Congrats on getting your license. (y)

Now comes the real homework, when starting to buy your first car. If you do your homework well, you may end up with an excellent result you'll be proud of and happy with.

The thread kind of got a way from us :p, but this post should soon be made into its own sticky, IMHO. Fell free to drop by again after class if you have any more questions :), let us know how it goes, and welcome to the forum.

First Draft? Crowdsourced First-Gen Buyer's Checklist

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
$2,000 isn't terribly bad for a running vehicle, if it's not a rust bucket. How's your mechanic skills? A high milage vehicle like this WILL need quite a bit of maintenance. At 200k miles it likely needs the timing belt water pump replaced. To DIY is roughly $300, if you bought a few tools for the job. Otherwise it's $800-$1400 at a repair shop.
Is it AWD or 2WD?

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Oh how I wish they still made my late uncle's 1971 Buick Riviera.

But we digress. OP, look for a good 1st gen PIlot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hondas are reliable, and the parts are cheap and usually easy to replace. But paying a garage to do it is going to cost a fortune. If you know how to do brakes (including bleeding), and the lighter suspension and engine work, you might be good. Also be ready for little nit-piddly but important things like seat and window motors. Check for rust underneath especially in rear area around the diff mounting points.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Your poll isn't getting votes because there's not nearly enough information. Many of the folks here could tell you exactly what to do if they knew you and could spend 15 minutes looking at the car, but without that, the answer is "it depends".

Read the buyer's guide that plplplpl referenced, then go inspect the car. It might take you 30 minutes to go through it since it's your first time, but you'll know the answer when you're done. I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
9,303 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
What does the Blue Book,NADA value say? Good advice you have had, good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts