Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.. I am trying to fix my 2007 Honda Pilot with 220,000 miles on it. Check engine light is on and I am getting error codes for misfire (300 to 306) and Bank 1 running rich (P0172). I checked the compression in all cylinders, 2 of them are showing 175 - 180 PSI and rest of them are from 200-240 PSI. I have tried everything I could think of to fix these issues. If anyone knows anything about these issues, please help.

Below is the list of work that I have done so far:
Ignition - New spark plugs and coils, all working good
Fuel Pressure - Checked and within specs
Compression - C1 - 175, C2 - 185, rest are from 200-240 PSI
Valve gap - Spark plug wells were had a lot of oil, so replaced valve cover seals and adjusted the valves for gap
MAP sensor - Replaced, showing 10 hg
PCV Valve - Was in bad condition, replaced
O2 Sensors - Checked, working good
Exhaust - Bank 1 catalytic converter seems clogged. When I remove O2 sensor on bank 1, P0172 gets fixed. So will be changing catalytic converter
VTEC valve - Cleaned, checked and reinstalled
Timing belt - not sure when was it done last. Probably not within the last 70-80 K miles.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!!

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
Hi everyone.. I am trying to fix my 2007 Honda Pilot with 220,000 miles on it. Check engine light is on and I am getting error codes for misfire (300 to 306) and Bank 1 running rich (P0172). I checked the compression in all cylinders, 2 of them are showing 175 - 180 PSI and rest of them are from 200-240 PSI. I have tried everything I could think of to fix these issues. If anyone knows anything about these issues, please help.

Below is the list of work that I have done so far:
Ignition - New spark plugs and coils, all working good
Fuel Pressure - Checked and within specs
Compression - C1 - 175, C2 - 185, rest are from 200-240 PSI
Valve gap - Spark plug wells were had a lot of oil, so replaced valve cover seals and adjusted the valves for gap
MAP sensor - Replaced, showing 10 hg
PCV Valve - Was in bad condition, replaced
O2 Sensors - Checked, working good
Exhaust - Bank 1 catalytic converter seems clogged. When I remove O2 sensor on bank 1, P0172 gets fixed. So will be changing catalytic converter
VTEC valve - Cleaned, checked and reinstalled
Timing belt - not sure when was it done last. Probably not within the last 70-80 K miles.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!!
Have you replaced your (VVT)Variable Valve Timing Solinoid and screen filters gaskets?

·
Registered
11,505 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know there are two of them! The manual said there is just one, located at the lower right corner of the backside of the engine block. Is there one on each side?

·
Registered
11,505 Posts

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
Causes of P0172
  • Dirty or faulty MAP or MAF sensor
  • Faulty O2 sensor
  • Faulty air/fuel ratio sensor
  • Leaky fuel injectors
  • Bad spark plugs
  • Stuck fuel pressure regulator
  • Faulty coolant temperature sensor
  • Faulty coolant thermostat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Causes of P0172
  • Dirty or faulty MAP or MAF sensor
  • Faulty O2 sensor
  • Faulty air/fuel ratio sensor
  • Leaky fuel injectors
  • Bad spark plugs
  • Stuck fuel pressure regulator
  • Faulty coolant temperature sensor
  • Faulty coolant thermostat
Checked all of these except coolant temperature sensor and thermostat. Will check them today. Also planning to clean EGR and see if that has any effect on misfire. Any idea why compression is so high? I am getting 200-240 in 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
Checked all of these except coolant temperature sensor and thermostat. Will check them today. Also planning to clean EGR and see if that has any effect on misfire. Any idea why compression is so high? I am getting 200-240 in 4 cylinders.
Just doing a lot of reading on the subject. Most are saying these cylinders may have an excessive build up of deposits reducing the space in the combustion chamber. Also that there may be an excessive amount of oil in the cylinder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just doing a lot of reading on the subject. Most are saying these cylinders may have an excessive build-up of deposits reducing the space in the combustion chamber. Also that there may be an excessive amount of oil in the cylinder.
I might have oil in the combustion chamber. Spark plug well seals were blown and oil got into the spark plug well. The guy who changed spark plugs removed plugs without cleaning the oil. So I am sure some of it must have gotten into combustion chamber. Will it burn on its own or I have to get it cleaned somehow? I have not been driving the car since I found such high compression.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
I might have oil in the combustion chamber. Spark plug well seals were blown and oil got into the spark plug well. The guy who changed spark plugs removed plugs without cleaning the oil. So I am sure some of it must have gotten into combustion chamber. Will it burn on its own or I have to get it cleaned somehow? I have not been driving the car since I found such high compression.
So I am assuming your spark plug tube(s) were filled with oil. Have you replaced your valve cover tube seals? Oil soaked coils can cause cylinder misfires or no fire at all.
I'm sure the oil will burn off the cylinder, but no, it's not good for your engine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Have you considered that instead of high compression, you have 2 cylinders with low compression. Are the 2 cylinders with the lower compression also the ones showing misfires?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I am assuming your spark plug tube(s) were filled with oil. Have you replaced your valve cover tube seals? Oil soaked coils can cause cylinder misfires or no fire at all.
I'm sure the oil will burn off the cylinder, but no, it's not good for your engine.
Yes, I replaced the valve cover seals, and also adjusted the valves. Cleaned the coils and spark plugs, tested them and reinstalled. But I am sure some oil got into cylinders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you considered that instead of high compression, you have 2 cylinders with low compression. Are the 2 cylinders with the lower compression also the ones showing misfires?
As per the manual compression should be from 135 to 163 psi. That's why I am assuming 4 cylinders have really high compression. And for misfire I am getting codes for all 6 cylinders as well as random misfire code.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Interesting the official Honda spec is not less then 135 psi, or more then 28 psi variance. They don't give a specific number or range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see, does that mean anything above 135 is good, as long as they are within 28 psi of each other? For some reason Haynes repair manual says 135 to 163. I tried to check if the timing is correct. I aligned the crankshaft timing mark with the pointer. Timing mark on front cam (radiator side), is little behind the pointer on belt cover for cylinder 1. And timing mark on the back cam is way off the pointer. Below are some pictures for reference. Am I checking the timing correct way? and does this show that timing is off?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts