Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have try to install some HID Xenon bulb which simulate HID light?

Which bulb should I choose?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Doesn't matter, simulated bulbs don't last long anyway ... at the longest a year ... Spent over $100 on a pair of PIAA bright whites for my last car... both died within a year ...

PrG

·
Registered
36 Posts
chinalfr said:
Anyone have try to install some HID Xenon bulb which simulate HID light?

Which bulb should I choose?
Try Sylvania Silverstars, they are about $25 each, but should last as long as stock bulbs. I have been using them for over a year without any problems and they are much brighter than stock.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Do they use the same voltage as the original lights or will they trigger a light on the dash indicating a bulb is out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Silverstars use the same voltage as stock bulbs, I have had them in my 01 MDX for over a year and I am very happy with them:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really don't like the stock light bulb. It emits yellowish light. I preferred a whiter light like the Xenon HID light bulb.

I will try to swing by some autopart store today and hope to get some Xenon HID bulb.

From the honda manual, HB2 is the light bulb for the headlight. Here is a list of bulbs that I found over deja.

HB1 = 9004
HB2 = 9003 = H4
HB3 = 9005
HB4 = 9006
HB5 = 9007
H1 = H1
H2 = H2
H3 = H3
H4 = HB2 = 9003

·
Registered
797 Posts
Since it does not get dark here until after 10PM, I have yet to drive at night. Just in case, I have looked up the Sylvania website. Here is what it listed for a 2002 Odyssey (since 2003 was not available yet)...

High & low beam headlamp
Part number = 9003

Upgrade Part Number = 9003ST
Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade - Whitest, Brightest, 100% Street Legal

Upgrade Part Number = 9003CB
Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade - White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Upgrade Part Number = 9003XV
XtraVision Halogen Upgrade - Up to 30% Brighter than standard

Here is a link to the Silverstar...
http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Another vote for the Silverstars from me. MDX folks have done the PIAA and some "other brand" ones. Many/most are "overwattage" and haven't lasted particularly long.

I've got the Silverstars and am very happy. It was a marked improvement over the stocks and they're still alive + well. I've had them since Dec/Jan and run DRLs on the lows, too, so they're on @ least half-power all the time. For $25 I think you get great performance @ a good price...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I guess I'll try the Silverstars out ... worth a try for $25 ... Too lazy to look, but the PILOT's uses standard H4 bulbs, correct ?

PrG

·
Registered
919 Posts
I can't find the Silver Stars. I've tried all of the links from the Sylvania website, but nobody has them. I even stopped at a few local places (AutoZone, Pep Boys, even Meijer) and none of them have the Silver Stars. Any suggestions?

Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I checked 9 Autozones in my area and none have them (per their website that tracks local inventories). I wonder if it's a regional thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the bulbs with SilverStars... so far they are great. The size that fits the Pilot is just being introduced by Sylvania. I wrote Sylvania and their customer service was great... they told me they were available by mail order from a place in Florida. When I called that store, they said a shipment was arriving later in the week and so I went ahead and ordered them. Honda designs their vehicles so that it is very easy to replace bulbs. I found the instructions in the owner's manual and found it very easy to install. Sylvania told me that the SilverStars (the size that fits the Pilot) should soon be available everywhere...so you could just wait until they arrive or mail order them.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Great! Thanks for the info. I'll just wait it out.

Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:5: :5:

Walk into Pep Boys yesterday and got myself a APC Xenon HID light bulb. Got it installed last night.

Will take a look on the performance tonight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Xenon HID Bulb??

I though HID systems required a ballast or transformer to work.

Is it possible to change to a HID just by changing the headlamp bulbs?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is 2 choices...

1. HID simulated headlight bulb.
2. HID headlight system.

Swapping with a simulated headlight bulb is the cheapest way (cost varies from $20 to $100).

Yes, you can switch your halogen headlight system with a HID system. But, you will end up paying at least 10 times more.

·
Registered
310 Posts
chinalfr,

How much did it cost? Does it give you high and low beams with HIDs?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To save cost, I choose to replace the current halogen headlight bulb with xenon charged headlight bulb.

It cost about $25 at a local part store.

Basically this bulb will simulate HID light, a white with blueish light.... with fractional cost of a real HID system.

I actually saw a real HID conversion kit sell as low as $400 now at ebay. Maybe if I have $400, I will do the conversion. ;)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts